sindinarvaez
Idprefertoremainanonymous

Democracy and peace

sindinarvaez has forfeited round #2.

sindinarvaez

Con

When the peace process in Colombia ends, the guerrillas will have the opportunity to reintegrate into society without being punished for the crimes committed by them.

Do you believe that they have the right to be forgiven or must pay for their crimes and be removed from society?
Idprefertoremainanonymous

Pro

Let me clarify that I do believe that FARC members should be punished for their war crimes, but I just don't think its realistic. This war has been going on for awhile now, many people have died, attacks increased in intensity, and life under FARC was, to put it bluntly, "Hell on Earth". But I just don't think that a peace deal where the rebels would be punished fairly is realistic as they most likely wouldn't accept it. President Juan Manuel Santos saw an opportunity to end a war that has been going on since the 60's and he acted upon it. While the sentences are light I can't think of any other option that wouldn't result in the government, or rebels walking away from the table. In conclusion, while it isn't that sweet poetic justice that we all crave, but rarely happens in the real world, the deal ended a conflict that has been going on for nearly 60 years, and if the terms of this deal were any harsher a peace wouldn't have been made.

https://www.nytimes.com...
https://www.npr.org...
Posted by Idprefertoremainanonymous 8 months ago
Idprefertoremainanonymous
I assumed since you were con you were against the peace deal.