dajosha123
boredinclass

Democracy is better than communism

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

dajosha123

Pro

Democracy is a term given when a government is elected by the people which basically means that the representatives are the people in charge of making decisions and actions in regard to an entire nation that are elected (voted on) by the people of that society and the term communism is where everyone is classified as equal social status and that no one has private ownership. Communism and democracy are two completely different ideologies that have impacted our world both past and present. Let me ask you a question, when has communism ever worked properly? I'm guessing this answer is never. Back in history there are many people who have tried communism and have failed at the attempt. For example, the USSR in Russia, back in 1947 where the Bolsheviks tried to create a classless society but were unsuccessful. The male life expectancy is 59 years in Russia - that's what communist health care buys you. People need money as an incentive to work, and there are problems because of information overload. People have less choice because there is no competition, and as there is no competition, there is less pressure to improve. The biggest differences between communism and democracy are their economies; most if not all communist economies fail. Democracy is based on the principal of equality and freedom. In communism no one can stand above the rest and no one can express themselves because they have to conform to the society known as communism. They cannot express themselves freely as being above the norm is illegal. A quote plain and simply defines what communism and democracy are; "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have so much." This quote was by unknown author but puts these two ideologies into perspective. For example in communism if you studied to be a surgeon for 5 years you would only be paid the same wages as a rubbish collector. Democracy is better for the 21st century because in this day and age everyone needs freedom and to be able to express themselves without the oppression of communism.
boredinclass

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate and I look forward to It.

I negate the resolution:Democracy is better than communism

For this debate, I do not need to advocate that communism is the best system, I only need to advocate that it democracy is not better.

Contention 1: Democracy sucks
Before the round began, my opponent should have clarified what type of democracy he was talking about. So now, I'll go through all the different types of democracy, but the central theme of all the types is that they are not only impossible, but they will inevitably lead to elitism. Direct (libertarian democracy)- In addition to being impossible, it's also immorral. All that it stands for is mob rule. And is the embodiement of anarchy. Plural (participatory)- The pluralist view is that if you want to participate, you can. This bassically means that 2 idiots can vote down 1 genious. And a lazy intelligent input would be discarded. Representative democracy- This is the american way and basically ensures elitism, and it destroys the very foundations of what democracy is. Take the example of Bush v. Gore. If we were truely a democracy, then gore would have won, not bush. Elitist democracy- This is one of the biggest contradictions ever. it states that by using leaders, the people control. I'll extend in my next speech.

Contention 2: Democracy and Communism can work hand-in-hand
My opponent talks about communism and democracy like they're polar opposites. communism is defined as "classless political system: the political theory or system in which all property and wealth is owned in a classless society by all the members of that society". This is an economic system while democracy is a government system. These have completely no relevence. As being so, why cannot they exist in the same government? A government of the people which owns all buisness. In fact that would be better. All people are equal, so they can all have a say.

Contention 3: Capitalism
My opponent might try to say that capitalism is better than communism, well that is not true. I would rather have a shared wealth than the alternative. Capitalism leads to poverty, and poverty is dehumanization, more people have died from poverty than all who died in vietnam. Capitalism inevitably destroys democracy, making his case contradicting. The methodology of the capitalist system creates prisons of oppression that deny value to life and make the actions like "final solutions" possible. Capitalism ensures conflict, because it always feels a need to expand. It desroys the enviornment through increased globalization. Those are just a few of the many impacts capitalism causes.

Now I'll go over my opponents arguemtents (>>>> what they said, -what I say)

>>>>Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles
-We aren't argueing capitalism and communism. Capitalism in fact destroys democracy because it creates a dictatorship of the dollar

>>>>They cannot express themselves freely as being above the norm is illegal
-I don't know where he got this, but it is an irrelivant arguement because the historical example he provides was not a pure communism, it was a dictatorship

>>>> Communism and democracy are two completely different ideologies
- Again, extend my second contention

>>>> that have impacted our world both past and present
- Their is no historical example of a pure democracy or a pure communism. Russia was a dictatorship, and becuase of capitalism, their was no pure democracy

>>>> For example, the USSR
-Again it's a dictatorship

>>>>People have less choice because there is no competition, and as there is no competition, there is less pressure to improve
- Competion is bad for the people, think about aids medication for africa, They aren't getting what they need in the name of competition

>>>>The male life expectancy is 59 years in Russia
-this has no relevance because russia is no longer communist

>>>>People need money as an incentive to work, and there are problems because of information overload
-Again, only talking about capatalism

>>>>The biggest differences between communism and democracy are their economies; most if not all communist economies fail
- extend capitalism arguements, Besides the only reason the communist economies fail is because we intentionally sabatoged them.

>>>> Democracy is based on the principal of equality and freedom
-So is communism, but in a different sense

>>>>In communism no one can stand above the rest
-Why is that a bad thing

>>>> no one can express themselves because they have to conform to the society known as communism
- This arguement also has no relevence, because the only example they provide is one of a military dictatorship

>>>>A quote plain and simply defines
He has no warrent and no author, whats to say that this didn't come from charles manson?
dajosha123

Pro

dajosha123 forfeited this round.
boredinclass

Con

Ok just extend my arguments and Vote con
Posted by Sangers 6 years ago
Sangers
Why do u slander fellow aussies by being moronic?
Posted by FREEDO 6 years ago
FREEDO
You have no idea what Communism is.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
You are very confused. Democracy isn't the opposite of communism. Communism is an economic system, democracy is a government system. The opposite of communism is capitalism. You can have a democratic communist country.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
dajosha123boredinclassTied
Reasons for voting decision: Communism is indefensible, but Pro's forfeit left Con's arguments unanswered. So Con wins despite the obvious superiority of democracy.