Intellisio
TheMarketLibertarian

Democracy is the best form of government.

Intellisio has forfeited round #3.

Intellisio

Pro

Democracy is the best form of government.I look forward to this debate.
The first round is for acceptance. Please do not forfeit.
TheMarketLibertarian

Con

I accept your challege, and I will argue that a Constitutional Republic is the best form of government.
Intellisio

Pro

Democracy is the best form of government. I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.
In this round, I will simply be stating the pros of Democracy:
Democracy represents the people.
Democracy ensures that the basic human rights are granted to each citizen of the country.
People have the right to express their opinions about any topic out loud, without being censored by the government. Democracy promotes debates and group discussions which are crucial for the exponential growth of a nation.
In a democracy each and every citizen have the power to decide who runs the country. By granting the power to the people, democracy ensures equal participation to everyone in the government of the country.
Democracy helps in making the citizens responsible and aware.
A democracy does not discriminate anyone. A democratic system of government ensures equal political, social and economic rights to everyone.
In a democracy no laws can be passed without the consent of the majority. Any law passed must conform to the broad guidelines of the constitution, and if a law does not meet this requirement, it can be challenged in a court of law and repealed.
Ensures complete transparency in decision making and prevents any unjust law from being passed.
In a democracy, elected government cannot stay in power for as long as they want because they are bound by the constitution wherein they have to end their terms in office.
Democracy promotes social peace and harmony.
The freedom of speech granted by democracy, brings with it the various platforms that promote wise utilization of the spoken word. Debates and group discussions are organized for people to voice out their opinion and share their ideas.
Exposes the citizens to different perspectives and they understand each other better and together they contribute to the overall development of the country.

My opponent might state that mob rule is possible in such a government. Yet, the electoral college protects us from a situation like this.

Source(s):http://thefederalist.com...
https://www.quora.com...
https://listontap.com...
TheMarketLibertarian

Con

Webster's Dictionary defines democracy as:
"government by the people; especially: rule of the majority."
Whereas a Republic is defined as:
"a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch."

Since I said in Round 1 that I support a Constitutional Republic, the existence of a Constitution which specifies the the structure of the government, the powers thereof, and the rights of the people. That said, I will argue that Representative Democracy, with a Constitution that specifies the powers of the government and the procedures thereof, is superior to absolute direct democracy.

Let me demonstrate the difference- a perfect example of true democracy is the lynch mob- under this system, if someone is accused of a crime, the mob says lynch him so they lynch him. Under a Constitutional Republic, however, you have to bring him to court, and give him a trial with a jury of his peers- you have to prove he is guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, he has a right to know his accuser, and to legal representation, and if, after all that, the judge says to lynch him, and the jury says to lynch him, and you go through all the appeals and what not, then you can lynch him.

My opponent claims that democracy 'ensures that the basic human rights are granted to each citizen of the country. People have the right to express their opinions about any topic out loud, without being censored by the government. Democracy promotes debates and group discussions which are crucial for the exponential growth of a nation,' but democracy merely means majority rule- it doesn't ensure basic human rights or freedom of expression, a Constitution and specified government powers and procedures may, but majority rule cannot. Canada has democratic rule, yet people are being thrown in jail for not accepting transgender nonsense because they do not have a First Amendment like we do.

Finally, my opponent claims that 'My opponent might state that mob rule is possible in such a government. Yet, the electoral college protects us from a situation like this,' but the electoral college is a Republican system, not a democratic one. If we had a true democracy, the President would be elected by a national popular vote.
Posted by Intellisio 4 months ago
Intellisio
My opponent did a great job defending their claim. I believe in a constitutional republic. That's why it was so hard to defend democracy. It was supposed to be a challenge, and it was definitely one!
Posted by TheMarketLibertarian 4 months ago
TheMarketLibertarian
I will post soon, sorry for taking so long
Posted by WillBorger 4 months ago
WillBorger
The person making the pro argument does not realize that the USA is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. In a democracy there would be no electoral collage, thats there because were a republic.