Biowza
LakevilleNorthJT

Democrats are funnier than Republicans.

Biowza

Pro

Well to put it as simple as it can get, republicans/conservatives/right wing/reds/whatever you want to call them simply are not as funny as democrats/liberals/left wing/blues/tree hugging hippies.

First off, it can't hurt to go through to definition of 'funny'

funny - amusing: arousing or provoking laughter

I realise that finding something funny is very subjective and it varies from person to person, but to prove my point short and sweet, I'm just going to make a list off the top of my head of comedians who I would consider to be democrats/liberals.

Conan O'Brien
Jay Leno
Adam Corrola
Stephen Colbert
Jon Stewart
John Oliver
David Letterman
Chris Rock
Jimmy Kimmel
Dane Cook
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle
Chris Tucker
Eddie Murphy
Bill Maher

Now that is 16 people just off the top of my head. This isn't even a definitive list, its just something I thought of just then. Generally, people think comedians are funny, if they didn't then these guys wouldn't be employed. I can probably name another 16 democrat comedians.

I have yet to think of one well-known, successful republican comedian.
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

My opponent has a pretty decent list of democrats he finds funny. My list is as follows:

George W. Bush

I content that person(s) from my list arouse or provoke laughter 10 times more than all people in my opponents list combined. To prove this I will offer quotes from the person on my list. Here is a list of the thirty-five dumbest things said by George W. Bush.

35. "Do you have blacks, too?" —to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001

34. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." —as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23, 2002

33. "I got to know Ken Lay when he was head of the — what they call the Governor's Business Council in Texas. He was a supporter of Ann Richards in my run in 1994. And she had named him the head of the Governor's Business Council. And I decided to leave him in place, just for the sake of continuity. And that's when I first got to know Ken and worked with Ken." —attempting to distance himself from his biggest political patron, Enron Chairman Ken Lay, whom he nicknamed "Kenny Boy," Washington, D.C., Jan. 10, 2002

32. "It is white." —after being asked by a child in Britain what the White House was like, July 19, 2001

31. "I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah." —at a White House menorah lighting ceremony, Washington, D.C., Dec. 10, 2001

30. "For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." —Philadelphia, Penn., May 14, 2001

29. "I don't know why you're talking about Sweden. They're the neutral one. They don't have an army." —during a Dec. 2002 Oval Office meeting with Rep. Tom Lantos, as reported by the New York Times

28. "You forgot Poland." —to Sen. John Kerry during the first presidential debate, after Kerry failed to mention Poland's contributions to the Iraq war coalition, Miami, Fla., Sept. 30, 2004

27. "I'm the master of low expectations." —aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

26. "I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things." —aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

25. "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe — I believe what I believe is right." —Rome, Italy, July 22, 2001

24. "We need to counter the shockwave of the evildoer by having individual rate cuts accelerated and by thinking about tax rebates." —Washington, D.C. Oct. 4, 2001

23. "People say, how can I help on this war against terror? How can I fight evil? You can do so by mentoring a child; by going into a shut-in's house and say I love you." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

22. "I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it…I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with answer, but it hadn't yet….I don't want to sound like I have made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't — you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one." —President George W. Bush, after being asked to name the biggest mistake he had made, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2004

21. "The really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes anyway." —explaining why high taxes on the rich are a failed strategy, Annandale, Va., Aug. 9, 2004

20. "My plan reduces the national debt, and fast. So fast, in fact, that economists worry that we're going to run out of debt to retire." —radio address, Feb. 24, 2001

19. "You know, when I was one time campaigning in Chicago, a reporter said, 'Would you ever have a deficit?' I said, 'I can't imagine it, but there would be one if we had a war, or a national emergency, or a recession.' Never did I dream we'd get the trifecta." —Houston, Texas, June 14, 2002 (There is no evidence Bush ever made any such statement, despite recounting the trifecta line repeatedly in 2002. A search by the Washington Post revealed that the three caveats were brought up before the 2000 campaign — by Al Gore.)

18. "See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction." —Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003

17. "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." —State of the Union Address, Jan. 28, 2003, making a claim that administration officials knew at the time to be false

16. "In Iraq, no doubt about it, it's tough. It's hard work. It's incredibly hard." —repeating the phrases "hard work," "working hard," "hard choices," and other "hard"-based verbiage 22 times in his first debate with Sen. John Kerry

15. "The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 13, 2001

14. "I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." —Washington, D.C., March 13, 2002

13. "But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me." —summing up his first year in office, three months after the 9/11 attacks, Washington, D.C., Dec. 20, 2001

12. "I try to go for longer runs, but it's tough around here at the White House on the outdoor track. It's sad that I can't run longer. It's one of the saddest things about the presidency." —interview with "Runners World," Aug. 2002

11. "Can we win? I don't think you can win it." —after being asked whether the war on terror was winnable, "Today" show interview, Aug. 30, 2004

10. "I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." —Washington, D.C. June 18, 2002

9. "I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." —to a group of Amish he met with privately, July 9, 2004

8. "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." —speaking underneath a "Mission Accomplished" banner aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, May 1, 2003

7. "We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories … And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." —Washington, D.C., May 30, 2003

6. "Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere!" —President George W. Bush, joking about his administration's failure to find WMDs in Iraq as he narrated a comic slideshow during the Radio & TV Correspondents' Association dinner, Washington, D.C., March 24, 2004

5. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000

4. "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002 (Watch video)

3. "Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004 (Watch video)

2. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 (Watch video)

1. "My answer is bring them on." —on Iraqi insurgents attacking U.S. forces, Washington, D.C., July 3, 2003

I feel I have successfully defended my side of the resolution and see no way around a CON vote.
Biowza

Pro

While I find your response cute and clever, I have a few problems with it.

A) George Bush is not trying to be funny with those quotes. He is not a comedian, he is just an idiot.

B) They aren't even that 'funny'. Once again, the problem arises that it is very subjective what you have posted (A problem which I think I avoid by posting comedians which people think are funny, or else they wouldn't have a job). I'm sure there were a lot of people hearing those quotes and saying 'RIGHT ON MAN, YOU TELL IT LIKE IT IS' without even noticing what he was saying.

C) It is just a small example of one person who isn't even a comedian. If you want to turn this into one of your 'Who can tell a better joke' debates, I might as well just start copy and pasting an entire George Carlin routine, or upload an episode of Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

D) I can pick about six quotes that aren't funny at all (at least to me) but are actually scary.

"My answer is bring them on." —on Iraqi insurgents attacking U.S. forces, Washington, D.C., July 3, 2003

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000

"We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories … And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." —Washington, D.C., May 30, 2003

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere!" —President George W. Bush, joking about his administration's failure to find WMDs in Iraq as he narrated a comic slide show during the Radio & TV Correspondents' Association dinner, Washington, D.C., March 24, 2004

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." —to a group of Amish he met with privately, July 9, 2004

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." —State of the Union Address, Jan. 28, 2003, making a claim that administration officials knew at the time to be false

If you think these are funny, I wish I had your sense of humour. The president of the USA saying these things should do nothing but scare people.

My opponent has tried to weave his way around the topic at hand by posting a selection of quotes by George Bush and appealing to the democrats judging the debate. However, he is not a comedian, a lot of people don't see what is wrong with what he is saying, some people actually find what he says scary, and finally this is just one example of one person saying a few things. I've posted 16 comedians just off the top of my head. A PRO vote seems to be in order.
LakevilleNorthJT

Con

I will respond to my opponents arguments letter by letter.

A)As a commenter pointed out, the resolution does not make clear whether we look to intentional or unintentional humor. With this in mind, it does not matter that Bush is not trying to be funny.

B) Comedians are not the only funny people in the world as my opponent is advocationg. The fact that these quotes are not "funny" is a matter of opinion and is not a fact.

C) You could, but you didn't.

D)This is completely your opinion let the voters decide whether or not the quotes are funny.

Comedians are not the only funny people in society. It is not necessary thus, to be a comedian in order to be funny. Also, just posting a list of random people who some people may never have heard of does not affirm.

Just for some extra humor, here are some pictures of everyone's favorite republican...

http://politicalhumor.about.com...

That is a link to the 25 funniest bush pictures ever.

VOTE CON
Biowza

Pro

My opponent seems hell bent on turning this into a 'Who can tell a funnier joke' debate. Nevertheless, I will counter the points presented to me.

"A)As a commenter pointed out, the resolution does not make clear whether we look to intentional or unintentional humor. With this in mind, it does not matter that Bush is not trying to be funny."

This is true, and I concede that I did not make this clear. However, one must admire true talent in being funny over the humorous side-affects of having the IQ of a wet towel. If you are going this angle, I would expect at the very least, a list of republicans matching my own (31 examples), preferably with quotes, as they aren't comedians.

"B) Comedians are not the only funny people in the world as my opponent is advocating. The fact that these quotes are not "funny" is a matter of opinion and is not a fact."

There is not one instance where I say, or even allude to the idea that comedians are the ONLY funny people in the world. I have no idea where you get that from. All I am saying is that comedians are a good example of people that others find funny, for if many people did not find them funny, then they would not be employed. Comedians ARE funny because by definition, they are required to make people laugh. This is why you cannot just make up names, call them funny, and just tell me I've never heard of them.

'An entertainer who performs in a humorous manner, especially by telling jokes; Any person who is characteristically humorous or amusing '

"C) You could, but you didn't."

Actually, no I couldn't because the title of the debate isn't "Who can copy and paste more comedic material". That isn't even a debate, its just googling quotes and pictures and trying to make people laugh. By your reasoning I could go into a debate about abortion and say "WELL YOU DIDN'T SAY THIS ISN'T A WHO CAN POST THE CUTEST PUPPY DOG!!! LOOK HOW CUTE IT IS I WIN!!!"

"D)This is completely your opinion let the voters decide whether or not the quotes are funny."

Well obviously it is my opinion because I said '(at least to me)'. But once again I'm reminding you that this isn't a debate about posting funny pictures and letting voters decide which picture is funniest.

To sum up, the topic was 'Democrats are funnier than Republicans'. I have demonstrated sixteen examples of democrat/liberal comedians while my opponent has only been able to muster up a collection of quotes and pictures from one person.

To vote CON means to say you find a small array of quotes to be a definitive example of Republican superiority over the Democrats in terms of humour.

I might as well add another 15 comedians onto my list

Nick Cannon
Larry David
Bernie Mac
Billy Crystal
Carlos Mencia
Joe Rogan
Drew Carey
Lewis Black
Steven Wright
Ellen DeGeneres
Kathy Griffin
Andy Dick
Bill Hicks
Arj Barker
Jeff Garlin

Running through some numbers here we find that

Number of comedians presented
Biowza- 31
Opponent- 0

This isn't a 'who can name more comedians' debate either, but not only has my opponent not named ANYONE that the general society finds funny (ie, comedians) but he has not provided one iota of evidence suggesting that Republicans are as funny or funnier than Democrats. All that has happened is that he has decided to turn this debate into a popularity contest to see who can post funnier material, and frankly I am having none of it.

So if you've actually read the entire debate, I see no way around voting PRO.

LakevilleNorthJT

Con

My opponents argumentation revolves around 2 things.

1. He gives a 31 pt. list I don't.

2. George Bush is not a comedian.

@1- First, my opponent never says how any of these people are funny, he just names them which is insufficient grounds to affirm. Also this is not a competition seeing who can list more people.

@2- It DOES NOT maatter. No matter what the reason is, people find him funny.

In this round a negative ballot is clear.

Vote Con.
Posted by Casiopia 8 years ago
Casiopia
Jews are funnier than Germans.
Posted by jurist24 8 years ago
jurist24
And, Bill Maher is a libertarian.
Posted by jurist24 8 years ago
jurist24
Jay Leno is a noted conservative.
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
I had to vote Con as Pro failed to show how much funnier Al Gore is than Dubbya. By dropping this very valid and important issue, I was forced to conceed that Dub. is funnier than professional comedians.
Posted by Biowza 8 years ago
Biowza
eminent fate I think you miss the entire point of the Colbert Report. The entire show is dedicated to taking the piss out of Bill O'Reilly and other conservative pundits.
Posted by eminent_fate 8 years ago
eminent_fate
i vote con
and pro stephen colbert is not a liberal
Posted by Arnaud 8 years ago
Arnaud
Are we talking intentionally or unintentionally funny here? Intentionally funny, Democrats get my vote. Unintentionally funny, Republicans get my vote.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I think CON just got my vote.
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have noticed from listening to comedians on Pandora that they almost always have a liberal bias. They are absolutely hilarious as well.
Vote Placed by Awed 7 years ago
Awed
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by FoolsBeBroken 8 years ago
FoolsBeBroken
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by jmlandf 8 years ago
jmlandf
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by emman101 8 years ago
emman101
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by lawyer_in_training 8 years ago
lawyer_in_training
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by indianajones644 8 years ago
indianajones644
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied
Vote Placed by deathknight1559 8 years ago
deathknight1559
BiowzaLakevilleNorthJTTied