Ellis
ethopia619

Democrats are more Pro-Military than Republicans

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Ellis

Pro

While John Mccain ( I sincerely respect his service to our country ) and other republicans tend to lean towards rewarding the service of our military with more tours of combat and extended time away from family , Democrats like Jim Webb have fought for veterans receiving the benefits due to them. Also Barack Obama has recently signed a protection against the cut of veteran benefits. Michelle Bachmann is proposing a freeze in VA benefits. Republicans claim to be pro-military , and they are when it comes to waging war , but when it comes to actually being pro-military and taking care of our service men and women and our veterans they fall well short. It's all patriotic lip service and pure rhetoric!
ethopia619

Con

Hello Pro! How's it going? 750 characters is a little, so better start now!

I would like to say that you somehow are arguing for the veteran benefits, not the military benefits. So you might want to make a different debate saying Democrats are more pro-veteran that Republicans. Since all you arguments tend to revolve around pro-veteran standards, all arguments you have made are unrealitive.

Republicans have increased the wages of the soldiers and have given pensions to them. The soldiers know that they will be away from their family for extended times if needed. So, extended time wouldn't be a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)
http://www.diffen.com...

Ellis

Pro

Actually pro-veteran and pro-military are one in the same. After 2 years of active duty service you are considered a veteran even if you remain active. So my argument would stand as intended. If Republicans were truly pro-military then they would be pro-veteran as well. There's nothing more patriotic as an American than taking care of those who have sacrificed themselves for us. I appreciate your rebuttle and references but they dont hold much water.. As far as military pay raises , both Dems and Repubs have pushed for that in the past but not recently for Repubs. And for your comment on soldiers and their time away from home . . that dignifies no response. Repubs are war mongers with no regard for life , soldier or veteran or civillian
ethopia619

Con

ethopia619 forfeited this round.
Ellis

Pro

Well I've learned one thing from these debates. Sometimes 5 rounds is too much and 750 characters is not enough. One thing I havent learned yet is what to do when someone has forfeited to post an argument but not forfeited the debate? I guess i could just debate myself which i've been known to do. Being Bi-Polar certainly can be beneficial in the event of pure boredom! :)
ethopia619

Con

I would like to reiterate Pro-Military means the support for military actions and usage, NOT veteran affairs.

1) Throughout history, there have been more Republican Presidents w/Republican dominated Congress self-initiating and supporting war efforts than Democrats have. ie: T.Roosevelt->Spanish American, Lincoln->Civil War, Nixon through G.W.Bush have supported the Vietnam War, Gulf War, Iraqi War, and War in Afgan. Reagan even threw in billions for military tech advancement. Whereas Democrats: LBJ, W.Wilson, FDR, Truman were pressured to throw.

2) Recently Obama has significantly reduced the number of personnel and involvement. If Democrats were more pro-military, they would toss US military like Republicans did.

Pro rebuttal later.
Ellis

Pro

Way over spending on unjust wars is not pro-military. Quite the contrary actually.
ethopia619

Con

ethopia619 forfeited this round.
Ellis

Pro

Uhh . . . Hello?
ethopia619

Con

ethopia619 forfeited this round.
Posted by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
Oh good you challenged him! You are probrably better than me because I am new.
Posted by ethopia619 5 years ago
ethopia619
750 characters is very little.
Posted by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
YYW: I might consider being the challenger, but I apparently need to get three debates made I guess before I can challenge and vote.
Posted by YYW 5 years ago
YYW
History: I would tend to agree. Bachman really doesn't serve as a good poster-child for the viewpoints of the Republican party (namely because the constituency that elected her was more or less looking for a tea-bagger than an actual Republican). The impact of the tea party would be an interesting thing to debate over though... historically organic populist movements have reflected the comprehensive ignorance of the electorate. Perhaps one could make a similar argument here?
Posted by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
That is Michelle Bachamann's opinion and I think you need more from the other candidates.
Posted by YYW 5 years ago
YYW
lol, bluesteel.
Posted by bluesteel 5 years ago
bluesteel
congrats, you win! http://www.washingtonmonthly.com...

IAVA report card: 91 of 94 House members to receive an A on veteran's issues were Democrats; of the 154 lawmakers who received a D or F, 142 were Republicans.

interesting topic though; I never really thought about this until now
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
Ron Paul
Posted by YYW 5 years ago
YYW
I would humbly submit that democrats were the real crusaders to cut defense spending to reduce the budget deficit, while republicans steadfastly refused and favored reduced entitlements for civilians. That is why we almost defaulted, because no one was wiling to concede anything. It seems like you are arguing more for a pro-veteran perspective, rather than a pro-military perspective.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Ellisethopia619Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Ellisethopia619Tied