JimmyG
krz

Democrats vs Republicans

JimmyG

Pro

I think the republican form of government just makes more sense for many reasons.
krz

Con

Thank you to my opponent for initiating this debate. Best of luck!

Given how nonspecific the topic of this argument is, I will go forth with the assumption that this debate is, essentially, about which form of government is better for America. The argument regarding which form of government makes more "sense" is entirely relative, but one can see several distinct advantages in the Democrat's form of government.

The economy has a greater tendency to flourish under Democratic leadership. In fact, economic growth is 1.8% higher under Democratic leadership than the leadership of a Republican.[1] This can be largely attributed to a considerable discrepancy in defense spending (which America does not need to spend any more on--we spent $682 billion on defense in 2012[2])

For the next part of this argument, I will compare several important Democratic and Republican beliefs and highlight the benefits of the Democratic side.

1. Democrats believe in progressive taxation; Republicans believe in a flat tax.

I'll use myself for an example. I make minimum wage (which, in my state of Alaska, is $7.75 an hour) and my yearly income is approximately $15000. My income tax is 15%, giving me a yearly take-home of a little less than $13000. The income tax for an individual making more than $400001 is 39.6%. For the sake of argument, we'll call that an even $400000 at 39%, which gives the individual a yearly take-home of just shy of $250000--more than enough money to subsist on. Now, hypothetically, let's say the flat income tax was 20% for all individuals. My take-home becomes $12000, and the other individual has a take-home of $320000. It takes very little explanation to prove for egregiously unfair the Republican idea of a flat tax is compared to the Democratic progressive taxation. The latter has a greater benefit for the 99%.

2. Democrats believe in decreased military spending; Republicans support increased military spending.

See my previous point of spending $682 billion in 2012 on defense--more than the other top ten nations in the world combined.

3. Democrats favor raising minimum wage; Republicans do not.

See my above, albeit heavily-veiled, bellyaching about my paltry income. Raising minimum wage makes life easier for a great deal of people.

(Side note: all of the above emboldened statements are made from information gathered from source [3])

Democrats historically have a more liberal standing on many issues, including gay marriage, abortion, the death penalty, so on and so forth.[3] In a world were fewer and fewer are clinging to conservative beliefs of the past, their thinking is often progressive and more sensible than that of historically conseverative Republicans. Democratic government favors a more liberal and, in turn, more modern school of thought in terms of government.

[1] http://www.nationalreview.com...
[2] http://pgpf.org...;
[3] http://www.diffen.com...
JimmyG

Pro

JimmyG forfeited this round.
krz

Con

krz forfeited this round.
JimmyG

Pro

JimmyG forfeited this round.
krz

Con

krz forfeited this round.
Posted by Kyp 3 years ago
Kyp
I see he bowed out of this arguement. Is there a way for me to step in?