12345t
U.n

Denver Broncos Super Bowl Champions

U.n
Started: 3/3/2016 Category: Sports

12345t

Pro

The Denver Broncos. The 2016 Denver Broncos who won the 50th Super Bowl, are the best football team in the history of the Earth.
U.n

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate an NFL topic - they're my favorite :)

Burden of Proof:
As much as I detest the term, the burden of proof lies on you (Pro) to prove that the Super Bowl 50 Denver Broncos "are the best football team in the history of the Earth." I believe there have been multiple teams in history that were better. Being that the BoP lies on you, I only need to show that ONE of those teams were better than the Super Bowl 50 Denver Broncos to win the debate. In other words, you need to run the gauntlet. In order to be fair (considering I get last say in Round 3), I will list all of those teams now. Then we can debate the teams in Rounds 2 and 3.

I believe the following five teams to be better than the Super Bowl 50 Denver Broncos:
- 1972 Miami Dolphins
- 1985 Chicago Bears
- 1989 San Francisco 49ers
- 1998 Denver Broncos
- 2013 Seattle Seahawks

It's on you (Pro) to prove that your Super Bowl 50 Denver Broncos were better than all five of the teams that I have listed.

Quick note:
Most sports sites - even the NFL's own website [http://www.nfl.com...] - lists them as the 2015 Denver Broncos. I am pointing this out to clarify, as I will refer to them as the 2015 Denver Broncos in the later two rounds.
12345t

Pro

12345t forfeited this round.
U.n

Con

Hopefully Pro can return to defend his team. But in the meantime, I'm gonna get the ball rolling...

Regular Season Records (Wins-Losses)
2015 Denver Broncos (12-4) <---- Pro's selection

2013 Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
1998 Denver Broncos (14-2)
1989 San Francisco 49ers (14-2)
1985 Chicago Bears (15-1)
1972 Miami Dolphins (14-0)

The 2015 Denver Broncos won 12 regular season games. Whereas all five of the teams that I have selected won 13+ regular season games. It is safe to say the 2015 Denver Broncos who won the 50th Super Bowl were NOT the best regular season football team. Note: The NFL did not expand to 16 game seasons until 1978. This is why the 1972 Miami Dolphins only played 14 regular season games.

Super Bowl Performance
2015 Denver Broncos won Super Bowl 50 by a score of 24-10

2013 Seattle Seahawks won Super Bowl XLVIII 43-8
1998 Denver Broncos won Super Bowl XXXIII 34-19
1989 San Francisco 49ers won Super Bowl XXIV 55-10
1985 Chicago Bears won Super Bowl XX 46-10
1972 Miami Dolphins won Super Bowl VII 14-7

Yes, the 2015 Denver Broncos won Super Bowl 50. Fifty - meaning that 49 other NFL teams have also won a Super Bowl. As you can see, all five of the teams I have selected were also Super Bowl winners. Three of these teams won their respective Super Bowl in 30+ point blowouts, more than double that of the 2015 Broncos win margin. That's a level of dominance that the 2015 Broncos simply don't match.

So if the 2015 Denver Broncos were not the best regular season team. And the 2015 Denver Broncos were not the best Super Bowl team, it is safe to say that they are NOT the best football team in the history of the Earth.

http://www.nfl.com...;
http://www.pro-football-reference.com...
http://www.pro-football-reference.com...;
12345t

Pro

12345t forfeited this round.
U.n

Con

As stated above, the Burden of Proof lies on Pro to show that the Denver Broncos who won the 50th Super Bowl are the best football team in the history of the Earth. Due to Pro's lack of argument and two forfeited turns, Pro has failed to uphold the BoP.

At this point I believe the debate is over. However, I wanted to show why the five teams that I selected were in fact better than the 2015 Denver Broncos. So I'll just quickly brush over these points.

1. The 1972 Miami Dolphins are the only team in the history of the NFL's Super Bowl era to complete an undefeated season, going not only 14-0 in the regular season but then continuing on to win the Super Bowl. In comparison the 2015 Denver Broncos finish 12-4. Not only did go undefeated - they played two more games (16 total) than the '72 Dolphins and still finished with less wins.

2. The 1985 Chicago Bears are widely considered the greatest NFL team of all time. They finished with a 15-1 record and were so dominant defensively that finished the season with four shutouts (two in the regular season, two in the postseason). In comparison, the 2015 Denver Broncos finished with three less wins and no shutouts. The shutouts number is particularly important as the strength of the 2015 Broncos team was their defense. Your Broncos had a good defense but they were no where near as good as the '85 Bears.

3. The 1989 San Francisco 49ers finished their season with two more wins than the 2015 Broncos, and then went on to outscore their postseason opponents by a combined score of 126-26. In comparison, the 2015 Broncos only outscored their postseason opponent's by a combined score of 67-44. In other words, the 1989 49ers were quite clearly a better team in both the regular season and the postseason.

4. In my opinion the 2015 Denver Broncos weren't even the best team in the history of their own franchise. That title rightfully belongs to the 1998 Denver Broncos. The '98 Broncos opened their season with a 13-game win streak. They won more regular season games in their first 13 games played than the 2015 Broncos won all season. They dominated opponents with an offense led by a healthy John Elway and a 2,000 yard rusher: Terrell Davis Whereas the 2015 Broncos were led by the ghost of Peyton Manning. Denver's own beatwriters agree with my assessment [1] - the 1998 Broncos were the better Denver team.

5. The 2013 Seattle Seahawks finished with one more win than the 2015 Denver Broncos, and one more shutout. And their defense was simply more dominant. The 2013 Seahawks allowed only 14.4 points per game, while the 2015 Broncos allowed 18.5. More significantly, when this Seahawks team went into Super Bowl XLVIII they faced off against the highest scoring offense in the history of the league... and dominated that offense, holding them to a mere 8 points.

There's nothing to suggest that the 2015 Denver Broncos were better than any of the teams that I listed. But there's a whole lot to suggest that any, if not all, of the teams that I listed were better.

But however you want to look at it, the 2015 Denver Broncos were NOT the best football team in the history of the Earth. And more importantly Pro failed to make any arguments to suggest otherwise.

[1] http://www.denverpost.com...
Posted by U.n 10 months ago
U.n
@GOAT

They're close. But I was really just playing the angles for sake of arguments.

1. Dolphins were the only undefeated team
2. Bears are widely believed to be the best team ever
3. 49ers had arguably the greatest postseason run
(IMO those three were the textbook expected arguments)

4. I chose Denver simply for a franchise-to-franchise comparison. And to mitigate the potential impact of Bronco fan voters. That way it didn't come across that I was lambasting the team or franchise. And it still gave Bronco fans a reason to vote Con without feeling like they were voting against their favorite team.

5. My initial intent was to use the 2013 Seahawks to undermine the 2015 Broncos, by drawing a link between the 2013 Broncos roster and the 2015 Broncos roster. But that would have taken more effort on my part and I abandoned that strategy when Pro abandoned the debate.

Otherwise if I was just going on defense alone, I likely would have opted for the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. I had considered including them but 6+ teams felt like overkill. (Five was arguably overkill).
Posted by GOAT_23_6 10 months ago
GOAT_23_6
I agree that this team was not the best team in history, but me being a biased Broncos fan I don't agree with your last statement about the 2013 Seattle Seahawks defense was not better than this years Broncos' defense.
Posted by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
\o/

Oh vote report nerds, oh vote report nerds!
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: SactownBoom// Mod action: NOT Removed<

6 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.

[*Reason for non-removal*] Full forfeit debates are not moderated unless the voter votes for the forfeiting side.
************************************************************************
Vote Placed by CodingSource 11 months ago
CodingSource
12345tU.nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited many times, conduct to Con. With that, Pro didn't present some further arguments and it is only Con who made more information; arguments go to Con. Con is the only one to use sources, sources go to Con.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 11 months ago
dsjpk5
12345tU.nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Con was also the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Con by default.
Vote Placed by SactownBoom 11 months ago
SactownBoom
12345tU.nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.