violetviolin
Hematite12

Deontology vs. Utilitarianism: which theory should we look to first?

Hematite12

violetviolin

Pro

First round is acceptance, pro argues for deontology, con for utilitarianism. Any questions will be answered in the comments section.
Hematite12

Con

I accept :D

This is my kind of debate!

I await your argument.
violetviolin

Pro

violetviolin forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Con

I still await my opponent's argument.
violetviolin

Pro

violetviolin forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Con

Oh well... I would've liked to debate this.

Violetviolin, please setup another debate if you want to when you are ready, I would still love to debate the topic.
Posted by mattcat83 2 years ago
mattcat83
So I take it that this debate shall assume that Moral Realism is true: that some moral statement is true. In virtue of what makes a statement "moral" or what moral statements truthmakers are I presume shall also not be covered, right? Well, perhaps peripherally so as if what grounds moral truths are norms, then I take it that the Deontologist is correct. But if what grounds moral truths are values, then the Axiologist (a.ka. Teleologist) is correct. This debates would also seem to assume that morality is grounded, as well, as that there are facts that answer to the true moral statements, which would then be called, "the moral facts."

I take it that Utilitarianism is not the proper contrast class with Deontology, as the debate seems to be about whether the correct moral theory would be deontological, or not. The proper contrast class for Deontological theories of morality in most philosophy textbooks on ethics is either named 'Axiological Theories' or 'Teleological Theories.' In either case, these are theories of moral value, or "the good," with examples including the theory given by Aristotle in his "Nicomachean Ethics" and of which Hedonistic Utilitarianism, whether it be Jeremy Bentham's Act-Version or John Stuart Mill's Rule-Version, are just subspecies of Consequentialism, itself a sub-species of possible value theories of morality. Deontological theories include Kant's as given in his "Groundwork for a Metaphysics of Morals" but perhaps not in "Metaphysics of Morals" (depending on whether one interprets his account of virtue as reducible or not to the Categorical Imperative and/or desert). Natural law theories of morality as well as Divine Command theories are also deontological.

I think we should also consider the (Realist-Pluralist) position that both may correct, that our moral lives may involve basic norms at some level but also basic values at another level, neither of which would be reducible yet separately emergent phenomena of moral life.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
Lol alright sounds good.

I don't intend to whip out any unfair or strange ideas.

The worst are the people who enter a debate about whether something is moral or immoral and just argue moral nihilism. Which is ridiculous on several levels, among which is the fact that even moral nihilists have SOME way to judge the "morals" (they would call it efficacy I suppose) of an action.
Posted by violetviolin 2 years ago
violetviolin
I've gone against people who make really wacky values for their philosophies to be judged under, so just thought i would clarify to make the round simpler :)
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
Yeah of course. I don't know what else they would be judged for O_o
Posted by violetviolin 2 years ago
violetviolin
To clarify before posting my arguments, these philosophies are to be looked at under morality only, and we are to judge this round based on who proves that their philosophy is best for achieving morality. I am not going to post my argument tonight, so if you have any issues with this interp of the resolution please comment before morning.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
violetviolinHematite12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by MrJosh 2 years ago
MrJosh
violetviolinHematite12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture