Firemage007
congressucks

Deporting illegal immigrants from the U.S.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Firemage007

Con

The fact is if the United States of America embarks on this wild-goose chase attempting to deport all illegal immigrants from the US, not only will America be destroying it's economy, it will have devastating affects on our relationships with other countries, especially Mexico.
According to the Pew Research Hispanic Trends Project, there were 8.4 million unauthorized immigrants employed in the U.S.; representing 5.2 percent of the U.S. labor force. "The U.S. Department of Agriculture states that, "about half of the hired workers employed in U.S. crop agriculture were unauthorized, with the overwhelming majority of these workers coming from Mexico." The USDA has also warned that, "Any potential immigration reform could have significant impacts on the U.S. fruit and vegetable industry." From the perspective of National Milk Producers Federation in 2009, retail milk prices would increase by 61 percent if its immigrant labor force were to be eliminated." by The Hill. (Newspaper) Not only will our agricultural industry collapse, or economy will be permanently tarnished. "In terms of overall numbers, The Department of Labor reports that of the 2.5 million farm workers in the U.S., over half (53 percent) are illegal immigrants. Growers and labor unions put this figure at 70 percent." The Hill.
Considering the fact that the US is in almost a 18 trillion dollar debt, we cannot afford to spend billions of dollars deporting illegal immigrants from the US then lose billions of dollars when our economy collapses, and be thrown into a second Great Depression.
The fact is, if we deport millions of civilians into other countries, mainly Mexico, it will cripple our relationships with those countries. Sending 8.2 million people in poverty to a country that is suffering from drug cartels, over population, and economic and governmental instability; is not exactly going to help our relationship with Mexico, so to speak.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to this, if the United States of America embarks on this wild-goose chase attempting to deport all illegal immigrants from the US, not only will America be destroying it's economy, it will have devastating affects on our relationships with other countries, especially Mexico. For these reasons I urge an affirmative vote.
congressucks

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for giving me this wonderful opportunity to have my first debate on Debate.org. Now due to the fact my opponent has not given any form of definitions to clarify this round, I will gladly present them.
I define "illegal immigrants" as foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country's authorization.
Now I would first like to go over my case, then refute my opponent's. My first contention is that deporting illegal immigrants back to their home country will open up jobs for true American Citizens to have. According to fairus.org over 1 million illegal immigrants in California have jobs. 1 million jobs. That's 1 million more jobs that real American Citizens who are poor, broke, even homeless could be having. Sending illegal immigrants back, will open up a huge amount of jobs in the United States, not just California. In fact there is 7-8 million jobs taken up by illegal immigrants. Why should we just stand here and let them earn money that they shouldn't even be earning. Illegal immigrants work in the fields, and make money that real citizens could be earning. It's unmorally right to allow illegal immigrants to reside in the United States.
My 2nd contention is that reduces that level of safety in the United States. Border patrol workers stationed near the border have recently noticed increasing rising of illegal immigration. People don't want immigrants to wander around the streets, looking for food and jobs. People don't want immigrants to stay in their city, state, or even neighborhood. According to rasmussenreports.com 59% of all likely voters say they want the US to send all the immigrants back. Only 27% said they should focus on making it easier for the immigrants. 14% were undecided. No one wants illegal immigrants to live where they live, potentially creating dangerous situations. These people arrive at the weakest of conditions. Many are tired, sick, poor and they have nowhere to go. This forces immigrants to think in extreme terms and potentially rob, and steal other people's supplies just for their own need.
Here's a question. Why do so many immigrants, illegally come to the US? It's because they ran away from their home country due to many reasons including crime and more. Thus they are already criminals because they have broken the law in their country by fleeing and are criminals in the US because they have arrived through illegal means. Do you want criminals to work for you? Do you want your fruits and vegetables to be harvested by criminals? Do you want criminals to sleep on the sidewalk, completely free and able to do anything with his or her own will? The clear answer is no. We cannot allow illegal immigrants to constantly pour in and stay, as it threatens the level of safety in America, as every new immigrant is a new criminal. America is the Land of the Free, not Land of the Free and illegal aliens.
Now I would like to refute my opponent's case. My opponent's first point was that sending immigrants back to their native country would collapse our agriculture economy. However this point is completely refuted by my first contention. If we send illegal immigrants back then other unfortunate citizens can have the opportunity to have a job. This will not collapse the economy as how will a change in who your workers are, destroy an economy? It is simply illogical to think that replacing the jobs of illegal immigrants with regular citizens would be destructive to an economy such as agriculture.
My opponent also said that "we cannot afford to pay" because the amount of debt is too high. But what my opponent fails to realize is the amount of return value we can receive. Take for example, health care. The US has spent over $2.8 trillion dollars on health care (according to chcf.org). This is definitely a lot of money however the return value we have received is tremendous. Thousands, even millions of people are greatly benefited by health care in a way that is far greater than $2.8 trillion dollars. Without spending that money, the United States would have no health care, which as you might probably know is the key for failure. Spending vast majorities of money on a large issue is worth it in the long run. We will make back our money's worth.
My opponent also claimed that it would cripple our relationships with Mexico because we're sending them millions of people back. However, my opponent has not given any evidence that our relationship with foreign countries would be ruined. According to breitbart.com, 90% of all illegal immigrant children were sent back during the summer. 90% of over 60,000 illegal children. We have already sent thousands of children back, and Mexico is not mad at us. Our relationship with Mexico is in no way different then what is was a couple months ago, before we sent the children back. Therefore I strongly urge a vote on the affirmation side of this debate. (BTW my opponent urged a vote for the affirmation on his Round 1 Speech. Check out his last sentence)
Firemage007

Con

I would also like to thank my opponent for an opportunity to debate, but would like to kindly point out the misconceptions he made.
My opponent stated in his first claim that deporting illegal immigrants back to their home country will open up jobs for true American Citizens to have. The fact is out of the 18,649,900 people without jobs, only 27%, 5,035,473 people, are willing to take up agricultural, and other jobs, such as sanitation engineers, or other jobs people consider "low." Considering the fact that my opponent stated 8 million jobs will be opened up, leaving us with a population of 2,964,527 unemployed, if every person for every person deported from the country, a US citizen will take his/her place. Obviously, this is an unrealistic idea to even consider as the US will spend billions of dollars deporting illegal immigrants, and billions of more dollars making sure new employees have a proper education. This is a huge cost to the US especially with our debt, and even without the economical factor, it is an unrealistic idea to pursue. Making more jobs is a much more affordable and realistic solution to the unemployment rate.
My opponent also states that it is a threat to national security if illegal immigrants are coming through our borders. The fact is we should simply add more border patrols, but we should focus our efforts into capturing criminals who are attempting to escape out of our country. As seen in the example of Kirby Logan Archer who hijacked a boat from the US, killed four people, and attempted to escape to Cuba. If the US had not prioritized him immediately, he would have been high up in the ranks of the totalitarian government of Cuba, which held its Communism throughout America's economic sanctions.
My opponent also stated that we had sent 60,000 children to Mexico, and they had not cared, but here we are talking about over 10 million people, almost all in poverty. This is over 150 times the amount of people, so obviously this will have a much more significant impact on our already tarnished relationship with Mexico.
We must urge a vote on the negation, as it will have no negative repercussions, and an overall boom in our economy.
congressucks

Pro

I would like to not waste any time and dive straight into my case. First off, my opponent has a made a huge error in which he dropped most of his case. He has not refuted all of my points about his own contentions. By doing so he is agreeing that most of his contentions are weaker then my refutations. He has only rebuttaled my refutation of Mexico's relationship. My opponent has merely rebuttaled my points in which I will today prove why my contentions still stands and his refutations fall.
First off, my opponent claims that people won't want to work as agriculture jobs. He has claimed people wouldn't want to take up the jobs such as sanitation. But think of it like this. An agriculture company loses let's say 200 workers because they are illegal immigrants. Now they badly need workers. Most likely American citizens will apply for the jobs. Most likely when the statistics where gathered when immigrants were taking up these "low" jobs. People probably thought "well since immigrants do the jobs, there's no need for me to apply" but when immigrants are gone, most likely unemployed people will take the opportunity to get a job.
Also, my opponent stated that we should simply fund for more border patrols. However, according to ivn.us taxpayers are spending over $12 billion dollars in border security. But still more and more illegal immigrants are coming over even with the insane amount of funding we have provided. Clearly funding even more money for border control is a waste of time and instead should be focusing that money for sending immigrants back.
Finally, my opponent claimed that we will be sending over 10 million people which is much larger than 60,000 children. But what he has failed to provide is any statistics what so ever. How can we simply believe that Mexico will be mad at us for sending millions of immigrants back? Maybe some relatives are praying for their immigrants to come back home. Therefore, we must urge for an affirmation vote because my contentions stand and my opponent's contentions fall.
Firemage007

Con

Firemage007 forfeited this round.
congressucks

Pro

congressucks forfeited this round.
Firemage007

Con

Firemage007 forfeited this round.
congressucks

Pro

congressucks forfeited this round.
Firemage007

Con

Firemage007 forfeited this round.
congressucks

Pro

In this final debate, it has been clear that my contentions stand and my opponents contentions clearly fall (he has not refuted my contentions or backed up his own). Therefore I urge a strong AFFIRMATIVE vote! Thank you!
Posted by AVPC 2 years ago
AVPC
This is a very interesting debate. Due to personal feeling towards the immigrant community, I am already siding with Con. However, I urge pro to defend his position strongly and effectvly. Use facts, ask for facts and think of the real effects such measures will have on the economy. Even if I disagree with pro, is she or he smartly defeats you, I will change my vote.