macdonaldk2016
Abdab

Depression is a serious medical condition in which medication is sometimes required

macdonaldk2016

Pro

First round is for acceptance and you to state opnion.
Abdab

Con

While your point is entirely valid and logical, many people are either wrongly diagnosed, only have depression as a co-morbidity of another more serious disorder, or claim to have depression when they are actually feeling depressed, which are two very different things. Feeling depressed is a prolonged feeling of overwhelming sadness, whereas depression is a mental illness when one can't get out of a rut of feeling depressed. The medication used (generally SSRIs) is used to boost serotonin levels (the happy hormone). In most cases, it is not needed long term, and once the serotonin levels are back up, the patient can be weaned off of the medication. My argument, is that the majority of people who are claiming to have depression, generally don't. Also in most cases, depression does not require medication, and counselling or other talking therapies are sufficient. (I am playing devils advocate here as I actually agree with you since I have been diagnosed with depression in the past, but I would like to see where you take this and like to challenge myself to argue against)
macdonaldk2016

Pro

Very well, as stated you have been diagnosed with depression in the past, and I am currently taking medication for depression resulting in family members claiming I am faking "sadness". Just trying to find the other side of the opinion.

I find where you are coming from in the thought that we should be weaned off depression medication, but for some people that is not an option. Chronic depression and Seasonal depression are things that do not go away with a simple click of your heels. As seasonal depression occurs based on weather, days, etc. I do apologize for taking this into the specifics. So per say one day you are happy as a bug in a rug and two months later it is snowing and gloomy and you get stuck in the seasonal depression rut, should you be allowed medication or are you faking it for the sake of attention, medications, addictions, etc.

Being taken off depression medications is a long process for some people it is proven that if you just stop taking them you have the potential to slip right back into your depression, so is it fair to wean somebody off that is potentially still depressed? How do you know when your "cured" enough to go back to "normal" living?

All is far in love and debate<3 Good luck.
Abdab

Con

Abdab forfeited this round.
macdonaldk2016

Pro

macdonaldk2016 forfeited this round.
Abdab

Con

Abdab forfeited this round.