Meganrihanne1992x
rawrxqueen

Derren brown is an amazing person.

Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

My arguement is for the following statement ^

Derren brown the magician llusionist, mentalist, painter and sceptic
IS In my opinion is one of the most spectacular men on this earth!

I ll Look forward to whoever debates me on this! and wish you firmly good luck
as im going to be very tough on this subject! :)
rawrxqueen

Con

On the Derren Brown show, he did a psychic experiment that was simply sick and horrendous. He had, with the help of a video games programmer, developed a game that placed players in a catatonic trance. He placed the game in a pub and waited for a player. Using this trance, and with the help of a hospital bed, carted them to a specially designed setting that was an exact replica of what had been created in the game. The man was quite obviously the most terrified he had ever been, and the situation was horribly realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people had heart attacks if they were placed in a situation like this.

Also, everything I have ever seen of his is very easily explainable and/or just plain did not work. The only thing he is good at is making money from idiots. Some things shown on that show are are just so outlandish that I'm now beginning to think that either people are ridiculously suggestible, or some of his stunts are setup/fake. Perhaps I should put up a sign outside my door, asking people to donate $10 checks through my letterbox. But somehow, I don't see my sign having the same effect that DB seems to have on gullible people.

At the start of his shows he says "what you are about to see is magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship." After watching the first three of these events, I formed the conclusion that 90% of the stuff he has done in these shows is showmanship, and for that read camera tricks, actors, stooges and set ups. I've seen very little which could be reasonably assumed to be misdirection/psychology/suggestion using the skills he was touted as having from his previous stuff. Stuff like the coffee shop bloke was pure actor bullshine, the only people probably not in on the act where the shop assistants in Dixons or wherever it was. Note the only time when a "no actors or stooges" caption pops up is in the theater bit where if you assume the randomly chosen participant isn't a stooge, then the trick he pulls does look more like traditional magician stuff using his skill, whereas the entire rest of the program is nothing but actor/stooge stuff. I think we are being shown actors, or people who desperately want to be on TV and so are playing along.

The way he claimed to have predicted the lottery was definitely false.
The chaos that goes on it a lottery machine means that the only way to predict the numbers using humans would be via a psychic premonition, not via some group pattern recognition, because there would be no pattern for the group to recognize. In fact, there is evidence that he rigged the lottery. (See: http://ninethirtyfive.wordpress.com... )

For these reasons I urge you to vote con.
Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

Con firstly introducts her Arguement with no immiediate elaboration..She picks out one experiment that derren brown hosts, and brand it " horrendous" she then explained the man in the experiment was terrified and that the trick was realistic

what Con is forgetting that derren browns trick uses tricks and misdirection, its supposed to " spook" the contender out and make Him see a different view on certain things, It also focuses on derren browns immidiate concentration and commitment , Furthermore it is very unlikely the man would have a heart attack, Because derren brown insures a 100% safety and he uses different types of hytnotispm to ensure the contender wont relapse. Also the man obviously volunteered to do it for the experience, so whats your point there?

Con also then goes on to say " his tricks our either explainable or just didnt work"

Firstly derren has only failed in 2 tricks, The first one bieng " how to win a casino" on channel 4 the second he did on a man in his mind tricks programme, Other than that i dont see any factual fails! Also if his tricks as you say are explainable, please elaborate more.. How does he do it then?

Derren brown has been working on his progress as an illunist , magician artist , skepticalist etc since he was young, he dosent insist he has a sixth sense, He tells the audience and impliments that his tricks or done By the power of initutive and skill, His shows are 100% full proof, and con explains its "fake"

I ask con this, what exactly is he faking when he can do momentum tricks and still explain how he did it? :s
He tells people this<>

Derrens browns first tricks used the power of suggestion and instinct, He also did a show telling people how they could do it at home! so where are the stooges/actors there ..HM?

Also his show was not all showmanship, if you looked carefully and anaylsed his work you would see , he used all of the above of misdirection , power of suggestion remote viewing etc.

Furthermore just like yourself, people thought the lottery stunt was A fix, That they used software cameras etc to elibirate the numbers, In fact only 2 days later did Derren want to prove his theory by showing the world how he did it, he spent weeks in a remote place using past consequetive numbers to predict what the outcome would be . Of course it was mearly impossible! the odds bieng alot different from guessing heads or tails on a coin.
But to prove the skeptics, he did a pre recorded show in which he and the crowd he worked with ultimatley figured out the numbers using past winning lottery numbers, which numbers have been concieved more than once etc, and the numbers were right! to prove his theory he had witnesses to show that it was pre recorded days before the lottery was on.

People like to think everything is a fix! become it seems to unrealistic thats why the link my opponent has posted has people who are unsure, yet if they looked into it and watched the follow up show they would see that.

Derren Like i said dosent say he is a psychic" stunt man he uses psychology in his experminents, how we interact and how we can trick our brain that in my defense is amazing! Not alot of people can control how they deal with situations and use reverse psychology.

Con hasnt implimented or suggested how derren brown isnt " amazing" Even IF his stunts were made up, what defense do you have which proves he isnt amazing? If he can still " con" people in such a realistic way what is so negative about that?

Though these arent my opinions, I DO believe derren brown is amazing, he can use his mind , hes an outstanding artist he can control people plus he did a tv show on how you can do the same at home!

Con is adament that everything derren brown does is fake!, how do you explain this?.. what proof have you?

If you look back at his previous shows you would see the way he does it, how when and where!--
So what is cons defense if he is not " amazing" would that make him unintresting ?, because his shows has shown
over 1000s of viewers which watch his stunts, shows, so he cant be that bad!.

In conclusion my arguement stands unless con can provide me with any refrences on how derren brown isnt amazing! and can provide an explanation to her statments on her stooge theory, then my arguement stands clear.
vote pro!

<>
<> sources
rawrxqueen

Con

rawrxqueen forfeited this round.
Meganrihanne1992x

Pro

Meganrihanne1992x forfeited this round.
rawrxqueen

Con

In a post on yahoo answers (this is a perfectly acceptible source for an opinionated debate), Pan Zensual said that an amazing person is, "A person with the inner strength needed to stand tall through the hard times in life. The kind of person that does the best they can with what they have instead of moaning and complaining over it and giving up without even trying. Someone that knows how to see the good things in life even when bad times comes and finds ways to spread their hope and optimism to others. A person that gives because of the goodness in the act and not because they expect something back. The kind of person that would offer you to share their last food with you if you were hungry. Someone that sees the need and tries to find ways to fill it and help others so that they in their turn can help too. A person that can be trusted and that you know will do the right thing even though it is tough. The kind of person that will understand your problems and offer solutions and support. Someone that has the experience and the empathy to not only care but also know right from wrong."

Even if Darren Brown is an amazing illusionist, magician, artist, skepitcalist, etc., he still does not meed the criteria for an "amazing person."
Posted by rawrxqueen 7 years ago
rawrxqueen
both of Megan's accounts got deleted because she has 2
Posted by rawrxqueen 7 years ago
rawrxqueen
sorry i didn't post an argument! I've been grounded.
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
Meganrihanne1992x
my source didnt post ! oops!
Posted by InquireTruth 7 years ago
InquireTruth
I certainly have no qualms with it, I was just explaining what Panda was saying - given the confused response (THREE question marks!).
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
You can still debate subjective things.
Posted by InquireTruth 7 years ago
InquireTruth
Whether or not Derren Brown is amazing is a property of persons, defined by the individual and not objectively verifiable - it's subjective.
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
Meganrihanne1992x
what???
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
It's subjective..but meh
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Meganrihanne1992xrawrxqueenTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
Meganrihanne1992xrawrxqueenTied
Vote Placed by rawrxqueen 7 years ago
rawrxqueen
Meganrihanne1992xrawrxqueenTied