vinsha001
WillRiley

Did Gandhiji Really Tried To Create Untiy Among The Hindus And Muslims???

WillRiley

vinsha001

Con

I am totally against Gandhiji as he created more difference between the hindus and muslims.He always used to give a shut up call to the hindus and listened to the muslims,he used to read out the sayings of The Holy Khuran in a Mandir but he never used to read out the shloks of Bhagvad Gita or Ramayana at a Mosque,every time the gov. did something against the Muslims Gandiji used to go for a hunger strike untill death,he promissed the Muslims that he will give them a blank cheque.Following are some of the incidents that created differences between the two religions and we the people of today are suffering his doings.I am totally against Gandhiji.
WillRiley

Pro

Being that this is not a "on balance" debate, in order to fulfill by BOP I need only show that in some ways Gandhi attempted to create unity among the Hindus and Muslims.

ARGUMENTS

Being that Gandhi was himself a Hindu [1] [2] [3] his reading of Islamic scripture, hunger strikes in favor of Muslims, and listening to Muslim opinions was actually Gandhi trying to strengthen the relationship between them. This is because Gandhi, as a Hindu, was reaching out to the Muslims to show that Hindus and Muslims can work together. One of Gandhi's major strategies, first in South Africa and then in India, was uniting Muslims and Hindus to work together in opposition to British imperialism. [4]
Back to you Con.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]https://books.google.com...
[3]http://www.bbc.co.uk...
[4]https://en.wikipedia.org...

vinsha001

Con

Gandhiji supported the idea of a separate State for Muslims. In a sense he was responsible for the creation of Pakistan.In spite of the Pakistani aggression in Kashmir, Gandhiji fasted to compel the government of India to release an amount of Rs. 55 crores due to Pakistan.The belligerence of Muslims was a result of Gandhiji's policy of appeasement.
Scrutinized in the light of recorded history, these prove to be clever distortions to misguide the gullible. Gandhiji in those days was very active in the rough and tumble of politics. The proposal for partition of the country and violent reaction against it generated tensions which ultimately resulted in sectarian killings on a scale unprecedented in human history. For the ethnic Muslims, Gandhiji was a Hindu leader who opposed the creation of Pakistan on sectarian grounds. Ethnic Hindus looked upon him as an impediment to their plan to revenge the atrocities on Hindus.The belligerence of Muslims was a result of Gandhiji's policy of appeasement.

Dear opponent do you still agree that he wanted to create unity among the two religions??

WillRiley

Pro

Con, I don't like to outright accuse my opponents of plagiarism, being that that is a serious accusation. Therefore, I am going to let the voters draw their own conclusions. The following is from the website http://www.gandhi-manibhavan.org...

Scrutinized in the light of the recorded history these prove to be clever distortions to misguide the gullible. Gandhiji in those days was very active in the rough and tumble of politics. The proposal for partition of the country and violent reaction against it generated tensions which ultimately resulted in sectarian killings on a scale unprecedented in human history. For the ethnic Muslims, Gandhiji was a Hindu leader who opposed creation of Pakistan on sectarian grounds. Ethnic Hindus looked upon him as an impediment of their plan to revenge the atrocities on Hindus

Compare this to my opponents previous round-
Scrutinized in the light of recorded history, these prove to be clever distortions to misguide the gullible. Gandhiji in those days was very active in the rough and tumble of politics. The proposal for partition of the country and violent reaction against it generated tensions which ultimately resulted in sectarian killings on a scale unprecedented in human history. For the ethnic Muslims, Gandhiji was a Hindu leader who opposed the creation of Pakistan on sectarian grounds. Ethnic Hindus looked upon him as an impediment to their plan to revenge the atrocities on Hindus.

However, it gets even worse. The "clever distortions" don't refer to the statements and actions of Gandhi, they in fact apply to this statement-
"Gandhiji supported the idea of a separate state for Muslims. In a sense he was responsible for the creation of Pakistan." a claim also made by my opponent.

Not to mention that all of my claims are unrefuted from the previous round.

REBUTTAL

Now, what would be more appropriate than using the same source my opponent plagiarized to turn it around on them. From the exact same page, just a few paragraphs down (which I have provided a link to above) is this-

The Hindu backlash was as much responsible for the creation of Pakistan as the sentiments of the ethnic Muslims. The hard core Hindus looked down upon the Muslims as misguided "Mlechchh" - unclean and came to believe that coexistence with them was not possible. Mutual distrust and recriminations led the extremists among both the groups to regard Hindus and Muslims as different nationalities and this strengthened the Muslim league's demand for partition as the only possible solution to the communal problem. Vested interests on both the sides stirred up the separatist sentiment and sought to justify their hate - campaign by clever and selective distortion of history. It is indeed a matter for serious concern for the nation that this mentality has not disappeared even today.

Now, being that all of my points remain unrefuted, I have decided to simply provide this quote from Gandhi-

My whole soul rebels against the idea that Hinduism and Islam represent two antagonistic cultures and doctrines. To assent to such a doctrine is for me a denial of God. [1]

If that isn't someone who truly wants two religions to get along, then what is?

Back to you Con.

[1]
http://www.vedicbooks.net...
vinsha001

Con

If Gandhi would have ever wanted Hindus and Muslims to come along he would have been neutral. But he was on the side of Muslims. Because of the same he wasn't given a chance to meet a "NATURAL DEATH".
WillRiley

Pro

Dear voters, during the course of this debate, I have provided evidence that has proven Ghandi tried to create unity among Hindus and Muslims. Gandhi was a great man who wanted only peace, and therefore I have chosen to not even respond to my opponents baseless and offensive last round, in which he essentially say that Gandhi deserved to die. I have fulfilled by BOP and have sourced and backed up my claims.

Thank you, and please, vote Pro.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
Sso maany speeeling errorsrs *eye twitches*
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 1 year ago
republicofdhar
vinsha001WillRileyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I was rather shocked to discover that Con plagiarised an entire round of debate wholesale, and for that reason am awarding Pro this debate. I'm disappointed especially because being a Kashmiri, I find the topic both interesting and engaging, and would have liked to see more.