clarence_pendleton
marymac150

Did God create the universe in seven days?

clarence_pendleton

Con

God did not create the world, or the heavens and earth for that matter, in seven days. this is my view and i stand by it
marymac150

Pro

I'm pro so I guess I say he/she did! Let's get started!
clarence_pendleton

Con

the stance I will take is that god meant he literally created the universe in seven days, while it was created in a fraction of a second and is still being created to this day as it expands and expands until it goes cold and lifeless.

I would also like to add that the Egyptians were the ones to create a twenty four hour clock, which was the prevalent form of time keeping during the biblical period
marymac150

Pro

The opposing stance I will take is that God did NOT mean he created the the world in 7 days literally. It was a story meant to convey that God created everything, everything comes from God. In our previous debate I stated that this story is not literal but metaphorical, just as many stories in the Bible are. I agree Earth was created in a fraction of a second and is still expanding today but that is a moot point. God could have snapped his fingers and ignited the Big Bang, then begun to create different forms of life and species, just in the manner that science says life developed. I am not saying this is what happened just that your point has no place in the debate.
In the case of the Egyptians, I do not know why it matters that they created the clock. Good for them, and in fact this clock argument makes more sense in my favor. When the Bible was written, science behind the origins of life were practically nonexistent. How could a people who know nothing of the story of the universe ever understand the complicated way in which it was made? Or understand the fact that humans had only been around for less than half a percent of the Earth's age? That is why the story of creation was written in a metaphorical sense. The exact manner in which God created do everything would only serve to confuse a society extremely uneducated on the topic. The only important takeaway from the story was meant to be (and succeeded in being) that God created everything.
clarence_pendleton

Con

i do believe we should call it a tie and start anew as neither of us believes the seven day creation is literal.
marymac150

Pro

We totally should. I'll start our next debate later today
clarence_pendleton

Con

clarence_pendleton forfeited this round.
marymac150

Pro

marymac150 forfeited this round.
clarence_pendleton

Con

marymac150

Pro

marymac150 forfeited this round.
Posted by kayflagler 1 year ago
kayflagler
Who's God?