PatriotPerson
anders1146

Did J.Wilkes Booth die of assassination or of suicide in 1903?

PatriotPerson

Pro

I believe that J.Booth was shot in a flaming barn by Boston corbett. Others say he escaped and killed himself later. I need an opponent who sides with the suicide.
PatriotPerson

Pro

History repeats itself. Booth was shot after killing Lincoln. Nearly a century later, the killer of Kennedy, Oswald, was shot to death by Jack Ruby. I'm sure you've heard of all the Lincoln-Kennedy similarities. But, aside of that, it's only logical that he was murdered in the barn. If he did escape, he wouldn't have committed suicide years later. He was proud of what he did. He thought that shooting the President would increase U.S. Policy towards the south. And I see how the U.S. really didn't change any Policy therefore bringing Booth to suicide, but, That's not something one would kill themselves over. Booth was then the most wanted man in America, and when they found him, no mercy, no jailtime, fire away.
anders1146

Con

In April 1865 after President Lincoln was assassinated 2,000 troops were sent looking for the killer. They finally thought they had found the killer and cornered him at a barn on the Garrets farm in Virginia. One man surrendered,this was not Booth but rather David Herold, known to be one of Booth"s co-conspirators.

Lieutenant Edward Doherty decided to smoke Booth out by setting the barn ablaze. The soldiers were under strict orders to take Booth alive. But as the troops moved in, a sergeant shot a man who was hiding inside. This man reported eyewitnesses had red hair. Booth, a well known actor, had jet black hair. Many believe that Booth escaped in the back of a wagon, fearing that Union troops were near he dropped out of the wagon and hid in the woods. When he dropped out of the wagon he lost many important papers that showed how the president was to be assassinated. Many believe that the person that was shot at the barn, the person they say was Booth, was actually a accomplice sent back to get these papers.( http://www.unsolved.com...)

Thank you to my opponent for opening this debate. I await your rebutle.
PatriotPerson

Pro

When Booth was shot, he was taken by the troops in a wagon to Belle Plain. There, his corpse was taken aboard the ironclad USS Montauk and brought to the Washington Navy Yard for indentification and an autopsy. There, it was confirmed that the body was Booth's by ten people who knew him.
The red hair- Booth could very possibly have colored his hair to try and disguise himself among others for a future plan which was put to a halt by the troops. Another possible explanation--Booth was shot very closely to the face, and that may have caused blood to splatter in his hair and stain it a reddish color. Repulsive and gory thought, I know. The bullet may have punctured his jugular or his thorax, causing frightening levels of blood to spurt from the man.
My final entry is that in all, if not all, extremely near, of reports have officially stated that JWB was indeed shot. I have tried to find a case of a report that claimed the escape but I couldn't.
Excited to see your next statement. -PatriotPerson
anders1146

Con

anders1146 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

So a forfeit in Round 3- does that mean you've ran out of arguments? If so, we had a good debate. Exciting to think of how history could have been in different ways. If you have a rebutle I'll be ready to read it.
-PatriotPerson
anders1146

Con

anders1146 forfeited this round.
Posted by PatriotPerson 4 years ago
PatriotPerson
Ah, memory lane...
Posted by JonL 4 years ago
JonL
Either way this debate goes I would recommend Pro reads or looks into J.W.B.'s journal following the assassination. Regardless of if he was shot in the barn or not I find suicide would not have been a far stretch for the man.