Did Jesus commit suicide? He foreseen his betrayal and death.

Updated: 1 week ago Status: Post Voting Period

He must have had intense de-ja-vu to foresee all of the predictions He made. If someone allows their self to be killed, like sitting on the railroad tracks, when they could get up and leave, are they in retrospect committing suicide?

I will be arguing that Jesus did not commit suicide.

Lets get the definition of suicide first.
Suicide : the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally

Now that we know the definition. Lets discuss.

1. Jesus didn't commit suicide by definition
Jesus foresaw his death, yes. However, he did not take his own life. For example, in the hypothetical scenario where I am a cancer patient and I decide to shoot myself, that would be suicide. If I in a different example, had a friend shoot me instead, my friend's actions would be considered homicide. Jesus essentially gave his permission to the Romans/Jewish leader to have him executed. However, he did not take his own life. His death was and still is considered death by crucifixion.

2. Suicide is a sin in the Christian Bible
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20) [19] Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; [20] you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

(1 Corinthians 3:16-17 NIV) [16] Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God&'s temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

I feel as though these verses make it clear that suicide, the act of one destroying their "temple" is considered a sin as demonstrated in Corinthians. Suicide is clearly a sin. If we assume that Jesus foresaw his death, then we must also assume (for the purposes of this debate) that Jesus was the Son of God. Now, the purpose of Jesus' death on the cross was the be a perfect, and sinless sacrifice for the world. So, since suicide is a sin and Jesus is sinless, Jesus could not have committed suicide.

I await my opponents response.

I had no idea that sitting in my car after it stalls on the railroad tracks and letting the train hit me, in not suicide. I only wish the insurance company and the law agreed.

So if I pay you to kill me, it's not my action but only yours?

I know we are talking about Christianity, but in other religions allowing yourself to be killed for a higher cause is supposed to be a Holy act, isn't it?

"I had no idea that sitting in my car after it stalls on the railroad tracks and letting the train hit me, in not suicide. I only wish the insurance company and the law agreed."

Well, it's not exactly that simple. The action of allowing the train to hit you in the vast majority of cases essentially takes the away the agency of the train driver. Let me explain further, the train driver often cannot stop in time to prevent the death of the individual. That's why the individual in question would be committing suicide. He is taking advantage of the lack of control a train to end their own life. The only one with free will in the scenario is the individual, as any choice the driver makes will result in the death of person choosing to end their life.

Pilate chose to have Jesus executed. Jesus did allow it, but the people who brought him to Pilate, Pilate who ordered the execution, and the people who put him on the cross all had their free will. They could have refused to go any further with the execution of Jesus. Would it have been futile? Yes. Would Jesus have been executed anyway? Definitely. However, those people still chose to end Jesus' life. You are the only one choosing to end your life in the train scenario.

"So if I pay you to kill me, it's not my action but only yours?"

Legally, yes.

"I know we are talking about Christianity, but in other religions allowing yourself to be killed for a higher cause is supposed to be a Holy act, isn't it?"

First, we aren't talking about other religions so this is completely irrelevant. Second, even if we were, allowing yourself to be killed is not suicide.

I await my opponents final response.

Jesus had very free will. He very easily could have gotten out of Dodge and avoided his foreseen and predicted death. Whether it was a ticking bomb or a speeding train or a bunch of servants ordered by authorities under strict control He willingly sacrificed Himself for a cause. Certainly a good cause indeed, but a voluntary submission to be killed.
I do agree that Jesus would never have committed suicide without a higher purpose. I'm convinced that Jesus committed martyrdom and not conventional suicide. You win the debate.
You don't need to explain to me what a train is, it was my story.
I look forward to future debates.----->Face-of-the-deep

In the context of the free will argument, I meant that those who put Jesus to death had free will. I wasn't referring to the individual dying, I meant those that cause the death. Although, I can see how what said could be misinterpreted. Just for the record.

I accept your forfeit. Thanks for the debate. It was fun.

I look forward to future debates as well. Vote Con.
Posted by GrimlyF 2 days ago
Jesus was the victim of culpable homicide carried out by God.Like death by cop but his hand was forced."Let this cup pass me by" He begged the Lord but He was refused.Jesus clearly did not wish to die but was given no choice.
Posted by debate0101 2 weeks ago
The jesus character didn't commit suicide. The jesus character was Jewish and bound by the holy laws of his Judaism religion and was sentenced to the Death Penalty by his Jewish Authorities after finding him guilty of sin by breaking the Sabbath Law and the Blasphemy Law. As a result, the Roman Government carried out his execution. During his pain and siffering, he questioned his god as to why he had been forsaken: "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" - Psalm 22:1
Posted by AlexisBaylie 2 weeks ago
He didn't kill himself, he sacrificed himself.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 week ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.