DOB
Adamant1

Did Luke Skywalker Die A Virgin?

Adamant1

DOB

Pro

A Note Up Front: Let's ignore all of the Star Wars Extended Universe fiction and only focus on the movies. I'm sure the EU answers this and, indeed, every other previously fun-to-debate Star Wars-related question, but the books are not only non-canon, they're absurd and embarrassing and anyone who disagrees is delusional. I've never even read a single piece of EU fiction , so the following argument will be built using the tools given to us by Episodes I-VI.

As for my question, it's a fairly clear one: Did Luke Skywalker Die a Virgin?

First round is acceptance.

Adamant1

Con

I accept your challenge and I am prepared to debate.
DOB

Pro

Thank you for the debate Adamant1.

Contention 1:
Well, for starters, we never see Luke having, getting ready to have, or recovering from sex. With all of his training, fighting, flying and handlessness, one wonders if he would have even had time for sex throughout the entire trilogy.

Contention 2:
Jedi Knights are Warrior Monks. Their clothes are simple, their homes are just basic shelters, they generally shun material possessions and, according to Wookiepedia, live under an overall "philosophy of non-attachment." It was believed, in fact, that attachments "lead to the emotions of the dark side." Officially, marriage was outlawed and it is reasonable to presume that sex was as well; sex can lead to attachment, or overpower judgment, or distract you, or lead to any other number of awesome things that the Jedi Council looks down on. The life of a Jedi is a life of celibate isolation, which is why Anakin and Padme had to hide and lie about their marriage.

To remain fair, honest and incorruptible, a Jedi is instructed to practice restraint and self-discipline and to conquer all emotions so that he is beholden to nothing but the Jedi code. They're like Priests, except they're also like magicians.

So, if Luke ends Return of the Jedi as a Jedi Master and the sole protector of the sacred Jedi way of life, it is reasonable to conclude that he never had sex after Return, right?
Adamant1

Con

Contention 1:
Why should we? Luke Skywalker's sexual life is not important in the whole storyline, and trust me he had plenty of downtime at the rebel base.

Contention 2:
First off, he didn't become a jedi until later into the storyline. Right around the time when he blew up the Death Star, he was just a fighter pilot. I mean, the night after he did that I'm sure the ladies were fighting to get to him. I mean who could resist a guy who destroyed something that could destroy planets? I have no doubt Luke got layed during his time at the rebel base.

Secondly a jedi was maybe not supposed to get married but, hey, every warrior who is protecting the very universe needs a little something-something every now and then. Plus, all the others were killed in the clone wars, so who's gonna watch him, the ghosts? They can't touch him anyway.
DOB

Pro

Thanks Adamant1.

1. "Isn't it possible he had sex before the Rebellion?"
That is, I suppose, a technical possibility, but I still find it incredibly unlikely. It doesn't look like Luke has a school, or a job, or any neighbors. He's just a lonely farm boy, and I'm pretty sure his only friend is Biggs.

It's important to remember that, even though Luke eventually became a war hero/laser-jouster, for most of his life he worked as an apprentice to a moisture farmer. "Moist" is inarguably one of the most distasteful words in the English language; how the hell was Luke supposed to get laid by bragging about how he spends all of his time raking it? Or...squeezing it, or massaging it... (How do you farm moisture? Is it milking? Do you milk moisture? Like with your hands?)

Whatever the unspeakably uncomfortable method of sweaty moisture extraction is, Luke does it professionally.That is the family business that he is expected to one day inherit. Christ, at least Biggs had a cape and could grow facial hair.

Also, even if there WERE a few, desperate chicks wandering around Tatooine, I think you're ignoring a fairly important detail about our protagonist in Hope: Luke is a huge sissy!

Also, is Luke not the whiniest person you've ever heard in your entire life? Here are a few quotes from Hope. When you're reading them in your head, imagine them as being delivered by a cat going through a cheese grater, and that's roughly the set of pipes Luke is handling.
"Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."
Beru: "Where are you going?"
Luke: "Looks like I'm going nowhere."
"I can't get involved. I've got work to do. It's not that I like the Empire. I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now... it's all such a long way from here."
"I can't see a thing in this helmet!"

For the first forty minutes of A New Hope, everything Luke says is a whine. Everything. Plus he's just naturally unlikable. The second he walks into Mos Eisley Cantina, he hasn't even done anything and bar patrons already hate him. Immediately, he gets told "I don't like you" point blank by Evazan (the pig-faced guy) and some fish-monster with a scrotum for a lower jaw.

Some people are just naturally unlikable, and all of those people also happen to hate Luke. So, you've got a whiny, unlikable, moisture-gurgling, emo kid who-- in a universe with only, like, six women to begin with-- has to compete in the field of sex with Han Solo.

Would you have sex with Luke?

2. No. Luke is essentially the Jesus of the force,(he even dresses like him) and simply asserting that he would do it, with no credible reasons, isn't an argument. Not all jedis, especially one's in Luke's position, concern themselves with sex.

My Case

Let's turn to the scoreboards now: Before the movies, Luke was an annoying teen. During the movies, the only available woman was justifiably lusting after the vest-wearing space cowboy, and by the third movie, Luke was already in full-on space monk mode.
So My Conclusion is...

Luke Skywalker went from being a whiny moisture-monger to being a celibate Soldier Priest, which means he as a person was completely unlikable precisely up until the point that he became completely unfuckable. If we follow the logic as dictated by the Star Wars universe, not only does Luke Skywalker-- chosen one, savior of the universe-- die a virgin, but he has only one vaguely sexual experience. His first, his last, his only sex act was making his twin sister swoon.

Vote Pro.
Adamant1

Con

1.
You have failed to refute my earlier arguments.

But aside from that, as far as having sex before the rebellion I have one possibility. Seeing as I take the side that he did not die a virgin I am allowed to explore all possibilities. Seeing as you have mentioned his friend Biggs, lets talk about that. There is a possibility Luke Skywalker was a homosexual. You have mentioned that he is kinda whiny, which is a pretty girly trait so heck, Luke and Biggs might have been a little more than just best friends.

2.
No credible reason? What is your credible reason for sex? The fact that sex is enjoyable is credible. Point stands, Luke probably got some at the rebel base after blowing up the death star. Also as to making his sister swoon..... well he spent a lot of time on space ships with her, and they really didn't know they were brother and sister until the very end.

Pro has failed to refute any of my arguments.
Luke got laid at one point or another, no question about it.
Vote Con.
Posted by Adamant1 6 years ago
Adamant1
I was unaware of this article, but it does strongly resemble a lot of this debate. If you look at it though many of these points would come up since there is only one source of information. But like I said, I have never seen that article before.
Posted by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
This was from a Cracked article as well. Luke was virgin, at least during the trilogy, but blatant plagarism is unacceptable.

http://www.cracked.com...
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
He has kids doesn't he...?
Posted by DOB 6 years ago
DOB
Hey, Puck.
I'm sure the EU answers this and, indeed, every other previously fun-to-debate Star Wars-related question, but the books are not only non-canon, they're absurd and embarrassing and anyone who disagrees is delusional. I've never even read a single piece of EU fiction.
Posted by mcc1789 6 years ago
mcc1789
"I'm sure the EU answers this and, indeed, every other previously fun-to-debate Star Wars-related question, but the books are not only non-canon, they're absurd and embarrassing and anyone who disagrees is delusional. I've never even read a single piece of EU fiction" Wow, so you must know how bad they are right? http://tvtropes.org...
Posted by DOB 6 years ago
DOB
It seems my argument about him being a space-monk went grossly unnoticed. There was hardly a rebuttal. Also, one voter claims being a whiner-baby is irrelevant, yet completely sides with Con's "gay Luke" argument, which is unsubstantiated if, by the voter's logic, his character traits are somehow discounted. If it counts for Con, it should for me. Hello? Can anyone hear me?
Posted by Adamant1 6 years ago
Adamant1
The comments are not supposed to be an extended debate area. All that is said here is not supposed to be factored into voting.
Posted by DOB 6 years ago
DOB
Fine.

For one thing, Leia was never really into Luke, she only kissed him to piss off Han. Further, when L&L found out about their sibling status, you only have to look at their reactions to know that they never sealed the deal. To put it bluntly, when they find out they're related, Luke and Leia do not respond like a brother and sister who just realized they'd accidentally boned at one point would. They're both totally okay with it, which would not be the case if Luke had gone lightsaber deep in all the wrong places if you know what I mean. Think about it. If someone from your sexual past came up to you and said "Hey, I just found out we're technically, legally, literally and unquestionably twins," would you be cool about it? No, you'd lose it, you'd flip out, there would be vomiting. Luke and Leia are downright happy about how related they are, they couldn't be more thrilled, and that simply isn't how sticking siblings react to that news. Blam! Count it! Refuted.
Posted by Adamant1 6 years ago
Adamant1
Dude, he didn't know....
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel con made the more convincing arguments.
Vote Placed by GeorgeCarlinWorshipper 6 years ago
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: DOB never refuted any of Adamant's counter-points.
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 6 years ago
XStrikeX
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel con made the more convincing arguments, such as homosexuality, time before his jediship... that stuff. Pro sidetracked onto Luke being a whiner which has no meaning to how he can or cannot get laid. All of Pro's points were refuted and by the end, no valid contentions were standing. Enough to cast a vote for Con.
Vote Placed by Marauder 6 years ago
Marauder
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Pro refrenced wookipidea after making a big deal that non-movie matial could not be used for this debate. Arguments: Cons points about destroying the death star and the original jedi being ghost was largely unadressed while all of Pro's contentions where responded to in some way. That said I do think both sides could have done a little better.
Vote Placed by petersaysstuff 6 years ago
petersaysstuff
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I vote pro because Con didn't negate the argument about celibate monks and Con inadequately refuted the moister farmer argument. Conversely the specifics of Con's argument were dropped but the gist remained therefore I vote Pro. All in all, poor Luke.
Vote Placed by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: There is no reason to think Luke did not get laid before he was a Jedi Knight. I definitely think that no matter how unlikable he was at the begininning of the movie, Obi Wan made him better and after his accomplishment of blowing up the death-star, I think there is reason to think he got laid lol. Even unlikable people get laid. Plus seeing as there is such a lack of nice people on Tatooine and he wasn't bad looking some girl probably went for him. Would he whine as he was getting laid? Doubt i
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
DOBAdamant1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: "There is a possibility Luke Skywalker was a homosexual." - funny, but not enough.