7Clouds
Outplayz

Did Witches exist in the Middle/Dark Ages or were they just innocent humans?

7Clouds

Con

Witches didn't/don't exist. Sadly. Many "witches" were most probably early scientists. They experiented, and the untaught eyes of people recognized the experiments as spells and curses. So, if these early scientists were called witches, that means that today's scientists are also witches.
Outplayz

Pro

You have defined that Witches can be scientists, so i will also define witches as human beings living during the middle/dark ages. However, i will not only call them scientists; there were also witches that practiced "magic."

Magic: Practicing chants, spells, prayer, blasphame, slander (unaffiliated to religion or a group). Now, does this transend the physical into the supernatural? I am not sure. But, i am sure that there were "Witches" that practiced the art of witchcarft in opposition to organized religion or other athorities or people.

Witchcraft could be for evil or good. Practicing the art of witchcraft requires one who is meditating against or for something. For instance, a witch could be practicing a dark art (meaning malicious intent) towards a king or high priest they found unethical or tyrannical. Wether the spell works supernaturally, i can't be certain. But, by practicing the art socially with other witches or witnesses, the malicious intent could be contagious. It can open others' eyes to the evil done by the king or priest or people.

Therefore, by this witch practicing withcraft against someone they curse, they have caused unrest and hints of revolution.

I will finish by saying, i understand "witch" is defined usually as a women, but for this argument, i am also including men into the defintion. Therefore, people like Hitler, Stalin, and other dictators were evil "witches" in the sense of having an extraodinary power of persuasion over people (maybe even supernatural).

There are also good witches that speak out toward tyrannts. Atheist could be 'witches' that practice the art of exposing religion through their power of logic and reason.

I like the idea of witches, so thanks for a cool debate. I look forward to your answer. I will, however, change my position if you feel your definitions are different.
7Clouds

Con

Although that is a valid argument, that people with good persuasion and other traits like that may count as magic, many people agree that those are just a trait. Somebody may be good looking, and that might be a cause. Or they are very confident and people just listen in awe, then start to believe their point. Hitler, for example, was a great persuader, and pretty evil, but he didn't know magic. When in the dark ages "witches made those potions and brews, those were just scientific formulas. The spell casting was just an effect. Also, if a person believes in bad luck, or good luck, or something like that, it mostly happens. So if a "witch" cast a spell on somebody, like "You shall get bad luck", the person just believes they're cured so much that they do get bad luck. So it is a matter or science, babbling, and belief.
Outplayz

Pro

Thanks for the prompt response. I understand how one can look at "magic" as a "trait." However, these are extraordinary traits, when one man can get an entire country to fight for his ideals. One definition of magic, outside of supernatural, is influencing people or a group by using mysterious forces. "Mysterious" difficult or impossible to understand. (Definitions are a quick Google search btw). I would think it is difficult, even now to understand how a cult leader can get a group of people to kill themselves to ride off to their "heaven" on a comet. I would define this as magic, and if the practitioner wanted, could call themselves "witches." I correlate witches with any other name: I am a wizard at call of duty, i have a silver tongue like a sorcerer, i can hear the dead as a warlock. If the supernatural exists, i am not sure and can't prove. However, we can't prove that it doesn't have some kind of effect either.

You also answered my next argument, influence. How is that not witchcraft? There are actually spells that promote creating an energy of darkness toward the one you want to curse. This can simply be turning everyone against a person at school through gossip, smack talking, painting a false picture to destroy someone's reputation. This will turn a group of people against this person which will subsequently bring depression, anxiety, or fear to the person. There are students that commit suicide through this pressure. How is this not correlative to witchcraft? Would the spell not be successful if that was the intention?

People can be witches, good or bad, by the energy and character they expose to the world. Then, there are those that are more aware of their "power" making it easier to use them against someone. A person that is personable and exciting can light a dull party into excitement by just being there. At this point, i am not defining it as a trait, i am defining it as magic. Why can't every person that is high in energy, optimistic, etc do this? Then, there is always that friend you never have a dull moment with. With an ability to bring out your inner child just by seeing him/her walking toward you, seeing their call, simply being present.

Back to the past, dark/middle ages. These very people existed. People that had a stronger intuition, people that were persuasive, people that had an aura of comfort, people that brought an aura of fear, people that exceed norm traits into something extraordinary, etc. They influenced time, they influenced a period, they influenced the world they were living in. I am defining these people as "witches," "magic," mysteriously able to create forces that influenced the world.

In a physical way, they are witches that influenced the world by traits that surpass the norm making it magic. What about the supernatural aspect? There is not enough/any proof that supernatural exists. However, there is no proof against it. Through self belief, through belief in what they want, in belief that their prayers will work - we have people in history that have influenced millions. Is this awareness guided by an invisible force taking them to conclusions, setting up the platform for one side to fail, giving these people thoughts that no one in their time had, a voice a witch heard that told an army to prepare when fog sets in, saving their kingdom... Could these be supernatural forces? I both concede that i don't know due to lack of evidence and can't deny its possibility due to the same factor. Cheers! And give your mom a huge today... that is another form of witchcraft, a lighter form, that will make her smile for the day.
7Clouds

Con

7Clouds forfeited this round.
Outplayz

Pro

Extend. Thanks for the debate!
Posted by 7Clouds 9 months ago
7Clouds
Anyway, in my second argument, I meant cursed not cured!😂
Posted by 7Clouds 9 months ago
7Clouds
Actually there are many, at least in the world.
Posted by Epicular 9 months ago
Epicular
I don't think there are many people on this site who are willing to argue that there actually were witches...
Posted by 7Clouds 9 months ago
7Clouds
No. By witches I mean like witches. Not all witches were evil. Thatcis just what people thought.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 9 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Probably people that practiced witchcraft, which can't be proven to exist too easily.
Posted by Orose_Khan 9 months ago
Orose_Khan
Depends on what you mean by "witch". Do you mean evil people? Do you mean practitioners of witchcraft? What do you mean by witch?