James_P
Nerobrine

Did music play an integral part in the American Civil Rights Movement?

Started: 11/25/2015 Category: Music

James_P

Con

First of all, I must say that I'm not debating whether music played a role in the Civil Rights Movement, it's well established that music did. However, I'm open to listen/read anyone who thinks differently.

That said, I'm asking what role do you think music played in the American Civil Rights Movement? How important was music? or was it even important? Was it the artists or the songs? Would have our civil rights in America came about at a later date without Music? For example, Bob Dyaln's - Blowin' in the wind or Nina Simone's - Mississippi Goddamn. It was made very clear what/ who these songs were written about. They heightened the publics consciousness of the times.

Hopefully I've made myself clear with what I'm questioning.

- James
Nerobrine

Pro

Does "Freedom Song" come to mind? Songs like this and "Oh Prichett,Oh Kelly" were sung at civil rights movements rallies to pep people up and make them feel that they weren't alone,and inspiration is the thing that causes almost everything we do. For example,your goal is to lose weight and the inspiration is cake. What I'm saying is,music was gave them strength when they were weak and how when times were dark.
James_P

Con

I agree. Music gave people hope. Not only did it bring joy to people, it also heightened people's awareness. This then inspired artists all across the world to write songs about the movement. The Beatle's - Blackbird springs to mind. Music was a light in a seemingly forever dark.
Nerobrine

Pro

Nerobrine forfeited this round.
James_P

Con

James_P forfeited this round.
Nerobrine

Pro

Nerobrine forfeited this round.