bitsnpieces
Brody11

Did the Jesus character in the bible violate the Sabbath Law?

bitsnpieces
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

bitsnpieces

Pro

According to the stories in the bible, the Jesus character worked on the Sabbath day. Therefore, the Jesus character violated the Sabbath Law.
Brody11

Con

I just want you to know that I am happy to be debating you and I hope I can shed some light on this controversial subject.

The fifth commandment states: Remember The Sabbath Day, To Keep It Holy.

So If Jesus violated this commandment that would mean that he would have sinned, and Jesus was known for perfection and not sinning once, so if he violated the commandment that would mean the biblical affirmations regarding his perfection was false. Second, if Jesus broke Gods Law that would mean he would not have been able to die for all of our sins, making us unsavable. Luckily that never happened.

Firstly our Lord was not accused of wrongdoing here.

Matthew 12: "Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, "Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath""

So as you can see Jesus was never accused of the crime, but even his disciples never broke the Sabbath! Hebrew law made provision for those in need to eat when they passed through a field of grain. So it was not "stealing" that was the focus of the Pharisaic criticism.

The only other thing, on the Sabbath that people think Jesus broke, was he healed a man. Then Jesus said to the man with the withered hand, "Stand up among us." And He asked them, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?" But they were silent. Jesus looked around at them with anger and sorrow at their hardness of heart. Then He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out, and it was restored.

So as you can see you are permitted to do good deeds on the Sabbath. I hope you found this information helpful and I look forward to your response.

https://www.christiancourier.com...
http://biblehub.com...
http://www.gospelway.com...
http://www.biblesabbath.org...
http://www.biblestudytools.com...
https://www.gci.org...
https://www.christiancourier.com...
bitsnpieces

Pro

First, I'd like to thank you for accepting this debate and welcome your opinon. This controversial subject has confused many people, but it doesn't have to be so confusing. By exploring the stories from an objective point of view and a first-person character, we can learn more about the truth and less about opinions.

Since the bible explains that no man can die for the sins of others, then this denies all human characters from having the ability to die for the sins of others as each man must die for his own sins. This includes the Jesus character. Here, the following passage in the bible confirms this declaration:

"Parents are not to be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their parents; each will die for their own sin." - Deuteronomy 24:16

"All people will die for their own sins" - Jeremiah 31:30

Upon verifying these guidelines written in the bible, we may now learn that the Jesus character does not have immunity from committing sin.

So our next step is to identify whether or not the Jesus character actually sinned in the stories.

Since the bible explains the Jesus character had been apprehended as a criminal accused of violating the Laws of his own Judaism religion, we need to immerse ourselves during his court hearing and examine whether or not he in fact broke the Laws of the Sabbath Day.

But first, we must acknowledge this Law of the 10 commandments and it's serious consequences for a member in violation of such:

"Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death." - Exodus 31:15
"keep the Sabbath day holy by not doing any work on it" - Jeremaiah 17:24

As we have now learned from the bible, it is clear that any person who performs any work on the Sabbath day (Saturday) shall be sentenced to the Death Penalty. In other words, the Jesus character must worship and pray to the Lord on the Sabbath Day and refrain from working in order to uphold his holy obligations and to comply with his local Laws.

So the next step is to determine if indeed the Jesus character worked on the Sabbath Day. Rather than worshiping and praying to the Lord on the Sabbath day, there are numerous occasions where the Jesus character was accused by witnesses for performing "work" on the Sabbath day (paid or unpaid) rather than worshiping or praying to his Lord on the Sabbath Day.

The most effective way to determine if indeed the witnesses were truthful about their accusations, the courts must question the Jesus character himself and clarify these accounts provided by these witness. Here, the Jesus chracter confesses to his sins during his Court Trial by violating his local Laws written in the 10 commandments:

"In his defense Jesus said to them, 'My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.'" - John 5:17

Hence, under his own this self-confession and admission despite his opinionated justification, it is clear that the Jesus character did in fact break the Sabbath Law. Whether it was done through good deeds or harmless deeds, the Laws were clear as cited earlier - do not work on the Sabbath Day or be put to death.

Despite the Jesus character's opinion of philosophy regarding the Sabbath, it cannot be used to officially manipulate or modify the Laws set forth by the Courts of his Judaism religion in which he was obligated to comply with. It is important to understand that the Courts of their Justice System enforces their Holy Laws, not the Jesus character who is obligated to obey them.

In our modern world today, this would be liken to a criminal accused of multiple 1st degree murders qualfiied for the Death Penalty ruled upon by our Justice System, but justifies his murders with his/her own philosophy.

Nonetheless, as a result of his sins, the Jesus character died for his own sins and was sentenced to the Death Penalty carried out by the Roman Government.

I hope this information is very insightful and helpful in understanding these stories from a practical and objective point of view.
Brody11

Con

I'll try to break this into chunks to make it easier to understand.

You said "there are numerous occasions where the Jesus character was accused by witnesses of performing "work" on the Sabbath day (paid or unpaid) rather than worshiping or praying to his Lord on the Sabbath Day."

The only evidence the witnesses had to accuse Jesus of working on the Sabbath was the good deeds he performed. (I will talk more about that soon.)

You said "that it cannot be used to officially manipulate or modify the Laws set forth by the Courts of his Judaism religion in which he was obligated to comply with. It is important to understand that the Courts of their Justice System enforces their Holy Laws, not the Jesus character who is obligated to obey them."

But you have this backward, the Courts of his Judaism religion are obligated to obey God and everything he puts forth, and since Jesus is God they are obligated to obey him. The basic problem was not that Jesus broke the "law of the Sabbath" but rather did not obey the "extended laws" that the Pharisees and scribes had added to the law. You will notice on each claim against him that he did good to someone, healed them. That was NEVER forbidden by the Law. (Matthew 15:1-11) 15 Then there came to Jesus from Jerusalem Pharisees and scribes, saying: 2 "Why is it your disciples overstep the tradition of the men of former times? (For example, they do not wash their hands when about to eat a meal.) 3 In reply, he said to them: "Why is it YOU also overstep the commandment of God because of YOUR tradition?

Now we know that Jesus does not have to follow such traditions that the Pharisees and others make up, but only the law that God put forward.

When criticized for healing on the Sabbath, he said: "My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working." (John 5:17) Jesus was not performing secular work in order to enrich himself. Rather, he was doing the will of God. Just as the Levites were allowed to continue their sacred service on the Sabbath, Jesus could rightfully carry out his God-assigned duties as the Messiah without violating God's Law."Matthew 12:5.

Your question assumes He was doing wrong, though he showed that God was with him by healing on the Sabbath if God thought that he was wrong why would he allow Jesus to heal men on that day? Like Jesus said, "Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?"

In order to accuse Jesus, they asked him, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?" He replied, "If one of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

There was not enough evidence to convict Jesus of working on the Sabbath, you are mistaken by assuming so. Jesus was not crucified because he allegedly worked on the Sabbath, he was crucified because he claimed to be the son of God, they assumed he wasn't so they charged him with blasphemy and killed him. my point being he was never convicted of working on the Sabbath.

Also, don't say he tried to justify working on the Sabbath, he is God and whatever God says is the truth. Why would God create laws, then come to Earth and break the law he put in place? God is all powerful, all knowledgeable, and all good, so to question him and say he committed a crime he put in place is foolishness.

You say "Hence, under his own this self-confession and admission despite his opinionated justification, it is clear that the Jesus character did, in fact, break the Sabbath Law. Whether it was done through good deeds or harmless deeds, the Laws were clear as cited earlier - do not work on the Sabbath Day or be put to death." And I say to you, who are you to question God, God is the one to put theses laws forward and mere humans changed the laws to their own likings, yet you are here today to question him saying he broke one of his own commandments?

God did not break the law he put in place, he broke the law humans changed to their own liking.

Also please don't turn this into a Jesus isn't God debate or a God isn't real debate if you want to start one of those up I would gladly participate. Thank you for continuing this debate and sorry if I sounded rude at any time in this, I look forward to your response.
bitsnpieces

Pro

I Thank you for your reply. It seems, that you have learned that the Jesus character did admit to working on the Sabbath day before the Courts, thereby breaking the fundamental Laws of one of the 10 commandments and committing sin. And that your only defense hanging on a thread now is to prove that the Jesus character is the God Almighty.

However, there was no indication during the Court trial of the Jesus character that he was the God Almighty that made the Holy Laws. He made no references during his Court Trial that he is the God Almighty and created the Laws and Commandments, granting him immunity from punishment or from being questioned. Instead, the Jesus character clearly confessed that He and God are two different and distinct entities.

Let us examine his self-confession of guilt once more:

"My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working." - John 5:17

Here, the Jesus character clearly expresses his distinct separation of his own identity by using the word "My Father". If the Jesus character were the same God Almighty that instituted the holy Laws, then John 5:17 would have been written this way in response to the Courts:

"I am the Father, and your LORD always at work to this very day." - John 5:17

Clearly, this is not the case written in the bible. Simply by admitting the words "My Father" before the Courts, the Jesus character fundamentally implies that he is not the God Almighty.

If indeed you were correct, in order to support your claim and which could have saved himself from the Death Penalty, then John 5:17 would have been written in this manner:

"In his defense Jesus said to them, 'I am your Lord who instituted those Laws and commandments. Do not question me for you are obligated to obey me, your Lord.'" - John 5:17

However, as everyone can read, this is not the defense used by the Jesus character during his Court Trial charged with breaking the Sabbath Law punishable by the Death Penalty. Hence, the Jesus character is not the God Almighty.

There seems to be some back-and-forth confusion about whether you yourself believe that the Jesus character is also the God Almighty. When it is convenient to defend the Jesus character, you claim that he is the God Almighty. However, when you are not in defense mode, you expose that the Jesus character is independent of the God Almighty. Here is a statement from your reply:

"Jesus could rightfully carry out his God-assigned duties as the Messiah without violating God's Law."

By using the words, "his God-assigned duties as the Messiah without violating God's Law.", you effectively prove and confess that the Jesus character and the God Almighty are two separate and distinct entities. If you wanted to be convincing in that Jesus is also the God Almighty, you would have replied:

"Jesus could rightfully carry out the duties without violating the Laws he instituted."

But by using the terms, "his God-assigned duties", you expose and make a clear distinction that he is bound by the duties assigned by another and different entity...and that is, the God Almighty. So by flip-flopping for your own convenience, it contradicts your capacity to be persuasive.

Even when the Jesus character was nailed high upon a wooden block to serve his Death Penalty for sinning and violating the Holy Sabbath Law, he cried and questioned his God Almighty as follows:

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?" - Psalm 22:1

Because we can all read here how the Jesus character is pleading for help from his God Almighty, it is clear to everyone that he is Not the God Almighty. You cannot cry for help from yourself if you are the one in need of help....this is not indicative of a God Almighty, but a vulnerable human being. Therefore, the Jesus character and the God Almighty are two separate and distinct entities.

In summary, the Jesus character did not prove during his Court trial that he is the God Almighty. Regardless of all the theories you've collected and hearsay from other characters you may have to defend the Jesus character as the God Almighty, the Jesus character failed to prove that he is the God Almighty and never implied that he is the God Almighty during the most important time of his life....in Court where he had every opportunity to deny that he worked on the Sabbath Day to claim is innocence.

With all that said, the Jesus character in the stories is not the God Almighty who instituted the 10 commandments and the Holy Laws that are enforced by the Jewish Authorities and Courts of the Judaism religion.

So from a practical and objective point of view, the Jesus character is not the God Almighty, did commit sin and violated the Sabbath Law, which under the Laws, is punishable by serving the Death Penalty. Since the Jesus character died as a result of serving the Death Penalty, it follows the natural, practical, and logical sequence of events during is Court Trial and towards his Execution:

1. Jesus character is charged with violating the Sabbath Law.
2. Jesus character faces Court Trial.
3. Jesus character admits to working on the Sabbath Day.
4. Jesus character does not prove that he is the God Almighty.
5. Jesus character is found guilty by the Courts.
6. Jesus character is sentence to the Death Penalty.
7. Jesus character cries to his God Almighty for help during his execution.
8. Jesus character fails to receive help and is forsaken by the God Almighty during his execution.
9. Jesus character dies as a result of these events from 1 - 9.

Thus, the Jesus character was not the God Almighty, but a common vulnerable human being in flesh charged with breaking local laws, unable to defend himself in Court, and unable to free himself from imprisonment awaiting execution.

Thank you again for sharing us your opinion and joining me in this debate.
Brody11

Con

I Appreciate your response but clearly, you have never actually read the bible or learned the fundamental structure that Christianity stands on. It also appears you have not done any real research on this subject of the trinity.

Your argument right now is that Jesus never claimed to be God in his trial, therefore, he is not God. And you are saying that Jesus still broke the Sabbath. I can prove Jesus is God which would prove Jesus never broke the Sabbath and I can prove Jesus would never have broken the Sabbath even if he wasn't God.

The reason why Jesus never made any claims at the trial were because he knew he would die no matter what, and he wanted to die for us. He said many, many times that he would die by crucifixion on the cross and rise three days later, long before it ever happened. Jesus wanted to die so we would be saved.

Now I don't think you are very familiar with Christianity, so I will try to explain it to you. We as Christians believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all one, yet different I will explain how this works.

You and I live in a three-dimensional world. All physical objects have a certain height, width, and depth. One person can look like someone else, or behave like someone else, or even sound like someone else. But a person cannot actually be the same as another person. They are distinct individuals.

God, however, lives without the limitations of a three-dimensional universe. He is a spirit. And he is infinitely more complex than we are.

That is why Jesus the Son can be different from the Father. And, yet the same.

The Bible clearly speaks of: God the Son, God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit. But emphasizes that there is only ONE God.

If we were to use math, it would not be, 1+1+1=3. It would be 1x1x1=1. God is a triune God.

Jesus never referred to himself as God at the trail like I explained early, but if you took the time to read the bible you would know that he said: "Even though you do not believe me, believe the evidence of the miracles, that you may learn and understand that the Father is in Me, and I am in the Father."12

Jesus' supreme evidence of deity was his own resurrection from the dead. Five times in the course of his life, Jesus clearly predicted in what specific way he would be killed and affirmed that three days later he would rise from the dead.

Let's assume Jesus wasn't God and he was but a mere human, why would God let him heal people and do miracles on the Sabbath if it was wrong, the answer is it wasn't and even the court understood that. That is why Jesus was never charged with breaking the Sabbath law you are incorrect to assume so, like I said he was crucified for blasphemy, no more no less.

To break this down, Jesus is God, God is Jesus and God made the 10 commandments, and if God says you can do good deeds on the Sabbath who are you to say otherwise. Once again let's assume Jesus is not God, he still was NOT CONVICTED OF BREAKING THE SABBATH LAW and I don"t know why you assume that and I don"t know how many time I have to tell you this until you understand because it is completely incorrect. If the court who was trying to find him guilty can figure this out I don"t understand why you can"t.

And if you still don't believe Jesus is God I will leave you with some passages to think about.

"Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" (Deut. 6:4)

"I am the LORD, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God." (Isa. 45:5)

There is no God but one. (1Cor. 8:4)

And after being baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased." (Matt. 3:16-17)

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit." (Matt. 28:19)

Jesus said: "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30)

"He who has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9)

"He who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me." (John 12:45)

If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. (Rom. 8:9)

"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for that which has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit." (Matt. 1:20)

And the angel answered and said to her [Mary], "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the highest will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

[Jesus speaking to His disciples] "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you." ... "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him." (John 14:16-17, 23)

As you can see Jesus and God are one, which completely disproves what you are trying to say, you say Jesus never claimed to be God but he did, you say Jesus broke Sabbath law and he didn't, and you say that Jesus is not God, which he clearly is. I wish you would have done some more research before posting your response because it is completely wrong.

To end this I would like to say, I have proved Jesus never broke the Sabbath, I have proven Jesus is God and I have proved you wrong. Thank you for debating me, and I'll be in the comment section if anyone else wants to discuss this with me.

http://www.everystudent.com...
http://www.everystudent.com...
Posted by debate0101 1 month ago
debate0101
@sugrd1987, Apparently you are making a futile argument by emphasizing the Jesus character violating the Roman Law. That is irrelevant since such Roman Law does not carry the punishment for the Death Penalty.
It is the Judaism Law concerning the Sabbath law and the Blasphemy Law that carries the punishment for the Death Penalty. Thus, the Jesus character was executed under the Death Penalty brought upon him by violating the Sabbath Law and the Blasphemy Law; not some insignificant Roman Law enforced by their Roman internal revenue service for missing to make tax payments.

Everyone knows that the Jesus character was executed as ordered by the Courts. The question is why? But when you read the crimes that he was charged with by the Jewish Courts that are punishable by the Death Penalty..it all makes a lot of practical sense now.
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
"The Roman Empire conquered many territories which became under the rulership of the Roman government. " Yeah, obviously, hence 'the law of the land'. The only accusation under that law they had against him was saying he was forbidding his followers to pay tax to the Caesar, a false charge (Matthew 22:21). We have absolutely no record of any judgement by any Levite and the burden of proof in regards to that claim is on you. I've proven you to be a liar on several points, the argument is over Jew.
Posted by debate0101 1 month ago
debate0101
@sigurd1987, The Roman Empire conquered many territories which became under the rulership of the Roman government. While under Roman rulership, Roman laws were also now appllicable as Jewish authorities explained:

"Then take him away and judge him by your own law," Pilate told them. "Only the Romans are permitted to execute someone," the Jewish leaders replied. - John 18:31

If the Jewish Authorities had not been under Roman Rulership, the Jesus character would have been executed by the Jewish Executioners instead for violating the Sabbath Law.

Do you have evidence to prove that Levite priests disagreed with the execution of the Jesus character for violating the Sabbath Law? If not, then the ruling was final and the punishment had been issued...death to the criminal, the Jesus character, as carried out and fulfilled.

Exposing that the Jesus character was also charged with Blasphemy shall not benefit you in anyway. It is just yet more criminal charges made against the Jesus character for violating God Almighty's holy laws. Whereby violating the Blasphemy Law is also punishable by the Death Penalty:

"Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death."" - Leviticus 24:16.

Thus, the Jesus character was sentenced to the Death Penalty for violating the Sabbath Law and the Blasphemy Law. If the Jesus character was truly the God Almighty, the Jewish Courts would have failed to execute the Jesus character. But as we all know in the story, the Jewish Courts and Jewish Authorities succeeded in the end by executing the criminal, the Jesus character.
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
The funniest thing about your argument is that he was never charged by the illegitimate Jewish court for working on the Sabbath anyways, he was charged with blasphemy. He was neither convicted of breaking the law of the land (see judgement of Pilate and Herod) or religious law (no verifiable Levite priests made any judgement on the case). He was executed for political reasons. But all Christians of course accept his 'death penalty' because it was the purpose as he willingly sacrificed himself. https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
A) In linguistics, a homonym is one of a group of words that share the same pronunciation but have different meanings, whether spelled the same or not.
B) John 18:31 'Then said Pilate to them, Take you him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said to him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death'
C) According to Leviticus only Levite priests are Authorities in the interpretation of the law.
Posted by debate0101 1 month ago
debate0101
@sigurd1987, You are incorrect. "work" is not a homonym. A homonym is a word that "sounds" the same but is "spelled" differently. A good example of a homonym is "write" and "right".

The Jewish Authorities found the Jesus character guilty of violating the Sabbath Law. Everytime the Jesus character would perform work in front of witnesses, his brothers and sisters in the faith would all be shocked. That is because every single member of the Judaism religion obey and know their local laws. But the Jesus character would always make some justification to claim self-mmunity upon every act of work he would perform as if it was okay to do. But as we all have learned in the end, his arrogance led him to his own execution. When the Jesus character self-confessed to working on the Sabbath day, the Courts were in no confusion as to the kind of work Jesus had admitted to. For all members of Judaism are to "Worship" the God Almighty on the Sabbath day, not "work" to heal or save people.

The Jewish Courts had already made their ruling and you do not have any leverage over the decisions ruled upon by the Courts of Jewish Authority. So as a non-Jewish Authority of the Courts, you have no choice but to accept their ruling, for it has been done, and that the Jesus character had been executed for his crimes. If any divine intervention or miracle had taken place to free the Jesus character from the Court Trial or while he was nailed high on a block of wood, you could have had some credibility. However, this not the case that transpired during Court Trial or during Execution. Thus, it is clear to everyone that the Jesus character died for his crimes and for siinning; not for anyone else's sins.

If you wish to misinterpret the Court Trial for your benefit, that is your option. But you cannot change the the ruling made by the Jewish Authorities of the Courts: The Jesus character is guilty for violating the Sabbath Law & must be sentenced to the Death Penalty (as Fulfilled).
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
The holocaust was not the first and it will not be the last. The house of the Jew is built on sand.
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
The word 'work' is a homonym and can be overly broad in definition to the point of meaning 'the doing of anything'. Is it work to breathe, get out if bed, or speak? The Old Testament was written in ancient ancient Hebrew and the record of Jesus' persecution written in ancient Greek, seeing as the etymology behind both languages is obscured to us we therefore cannot know he even meant it the same way as in Mosaic law. And it is not his first person definition of the word that matters anyways, it would be a Levites interpretation of the word in the law that is binding and we have no reason to believe any Levite made any such judgement. Therefore there is no proof either of self admission or conviction by a valid Jewish court. Anyways like I said, his guilt in that charge (of performing a divine miracle on the Sabbath) would prove his divinity and therefore aquit him.
Posted by Sigurd1987 1 month ago
Sigurd1987
The word 'work' is a homonym and can be overly broad in definition to the point of meaning 'the doing of anything'. Is it work to breathe, get out if bed, or speak? The Old Testament was written in ancient ancient Hebrew and the record of Jesus' persecution written in in ancient Greek, seeing as the etymology behind both languages is obscured to us we therefore cannot know he even meant it the same way as in Mosaic law. And it is not his first person definition of the word that matters anyways, it would be a Levites interpretation of the word in the law that is binding and we have no reason to believe any Levite made any such judgement. Therefore there is no proof of self admission or conviction by a valid Jewish court. Anyways like I said, his guitar in that charge (of performing a divine miracle on the Sabbath) would prove his divinity and therefore aquit him.
Posted by debate0101 1 month ago
debate0101
<b>@sigurd1987, The characters, Herod and Pilate were not a member of the Judaism religion and were not Jewish Authorities concerning God Almiighty's Laws including the Sabbath Law. Thus, their opinions had no relevance in the Jewish Court.

The Jesus character admitted working during the Sabbath day before the Courts while using the actual word "work". Therefore, his own testimony and self-confession supercedes the opinions and perceptions of all observers from a 2nd person, 3rd person, 4th person perspective and so forth. Hence, the Jesus character worked on the Sabbath Day by his own admission.
Vote Placed by Ramshutu 1 month ago
Ramshutu
bitsnpiecesBrody11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I believe Pro had the edge in the arguments here; justifying his approach with the specific quotes, and showing that Jesus did indeed admit that he broke the Sabbath. It seemed Con was arguing more along the lines that what Jesus did, didn't "technically" (I can't think of a better word for the contention!) break the Sabbath because of difference in works, but didn't do enough to demonstrate the contention; Con didn't do enough to justify this technicality in the face of Pro's argument.
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 month ago
Wylted
bitsnpiecesBrody11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that working was a violation of the sabbath, and cited a bible verse to prove it.Con's argument's in response such as that the verse meant spiritual works not secular works, was never supported. I'd advise con to research what biblical scholars say on the subject and perhaps he can mimic their arguments as opposed to making bare assertions. Con also never challenges the verse in which Jesus admits to working and reinterprets the history of why Jesus was crucified, without providing any arguments or evidence of his alternative theory, Pro did a fine job, and I would advise con to keep it on topic instead of arguing irrelevent things like the divinity of christ in the future. I would also advise him to provide arguments or citations for his assertions in the future.