CHS
theitalianstallion

Did the Pitsburgh Steelers deserve to win the superbowl

theitalianstallion
Started: 2/4/2009 Category: Sports

CHS

Con

I am against this topic because I belive that the team that deserved to win the super bowl were New York giants. My argument is based off of three main arguments

1. A superior Defensive line
2. A depper roster
3. The loss of a key player only weeks before the playoffs

I will not say anything further until my opponent accepts the debate.

Thank You
theitalianstallion

Pro

First, as always, I will thank my opponent for creating this debate.

Next, I will address CON's points.

Superior Defensive Line

I don't quite see how this is relevant to being more deserving, but I will address it anyway.

The Steelers defensive line produced 11.5 sacks, a relatively small number for the best defense in the league.

But we must take into account what their defensive line was used for: keeping offensive linemen occupied while linebackers eat up the QB.

This philosophy has worked very well for The Steelers. In their base 3/4 defense, while the 3 down linemen held the O-linemen, the 2 OLB combined for 27.5 sacks.

The entire defense had a total of 51.

The Giants D-line was used for 1 thing and 1 thing only: getting to the QB. This may sound like a pretty common technique in football, but usually the D-line helps the other members of the defense in some way. Not the Giants, though.

Out side of Tuck's 12 sacks and Kiwanaku's 8, the defense produced only 22 more. The defense outside of the d-line for the Steelers produced 39.5 sacks.

A Deeper Roster

I also do not see how this is relevant to deserving the Lombardi trophy, but I must refute it.

Neither team is deeper than the other.

Steelers have more depth at QB; Giants have more depth at RB.

Steelers have more depth in the secondary; Giants have more depth at WR.

The Loss of a Key Player Only Weeks Before the Playoffs

I am going to assume CON means Brandon Jacobs as he is the only starter that comes to mind with a critical injury.

This argument is null and void.

Although Brandon Jacobs was injured before the playoffs, the Giants still clinched the No.1 seed and homefield throughout the playoffs.

When Jacobs returned to the field in the divisional round of the playoffs, he was close to, if not 100%. His play had no affect on the game because the Giants were just flat-out out-played.

Now, for my arguments.

Strength of Schedule

Steelers' opponents' winning percentage-.525

Giants' opponents' winning percentage-.502

http://www.nfl.com...

This shows that the Steelers played through a tough schedule, facing tougher opponents more often, and won the Super Bowl by beating a few teams that they might not have been supposed to.

Performance in the Playoffs

Simply put, the Giants failed to show up at the most important time of the year, losing to the NFC's 6th seed, the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Steelers showed up in the biggest way possible, winning all their playoff games against the No.4 Chargers, the No.6 Ravens, and the NFC's 4th seed, the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl.
CHS

Con

Thank you as well for accepting this debate

I would like to defend my points and then go onto the PRO contentions

Superior D-Line:
I believe that this is counts as a way of deserving to win the superbowl because the gians worked hard in the off-season and in training camp to make their D-Line as strong as possible so with all of the work that they did I belive they should have won. The steelers D-line which is supposedly apart of the best Defence in the NFL simply failed to perform throughout the entire season.

Deeper roster;
Again I feel like the giants took a very smart strategy in making their roster deep and yes one roster can be deeper than another by having better players in their 2nd, 3rd string etc. The Giants did that wonderfully even in their WR position becuase after plax shot him self we still had a good WR in hixon to help us.

Now going on to the PRO Arguments.

Strength of schedule

I will agree that the steelers had a harder schedule but not by much. the giants still faced practically all of the teams in NFC that made the playoffs and faced the super bowl champion the steelers which by the way they beat by a large margin. I do not think this argument is very valid considering it does not make much of a difference.

Playoff Performance

Every team the Steelers faced in the Playoffs was either a 4th string or worse. I dont think you can say they really "showed up" when they played the worse teams in the playoffs. The giants only lost to eagles becuase they had a week off for rest because they were the #1 seed. The giants showed up just as much as the steelers did but one team had an easier time.

Thank you and good luck
theitalianstallion

Pro

I again thank my opponent for creating this debate.

Superior D-Line

My opponent claims the reason this makes the Giants deserving of the Super Bowl is because:

-The Giants D-Line worked hard in the off-season and in training camp

-They got as strong as possible.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but don't all teams work hard in the off-season and try to improve as much as possible.

Also, neither of us has any proof that either team worked hard during training camp; it is all just an assumption we're making.

Deeper Roster

CON claims that the Giants have a deeper receiving core; I concede to this point.

But he has also failed to refute the Steelers having a deeper secondary and having more depth at QB, therefore he has forfeited those points.

Loss of a Key Player Weeks Before the Playoffs

My opponent has failed to refute these points; therefore, he has forfeited them as well.

Playoff Performance

CON claims the following reasons for the Giants losing and Steelers winning in the playoffs

-Steelers played a 4th seed or worse in every game.
-The Giants failed to defeat a 6th seed

-Giants only lost because they had a bye week.
-Steelers also received a bye.

-Steelers had an easier time.

-Here are the Steelers playoff games
-No.4 Chargers…Quite possibly the hottest team in the league entering the playoffs

-No.6 Ravens…The No.2 defense in the league and division rival

-No. 4 Cardinals… Apparently the best team in the NFC

-And the Giants playoff games
-No.6 Eagles… Division rival and a top half defense

There's really no comparison.

Strength of Schedule

CON agrees that the Steelers had the tougher schedule.

CON continues by saying that the Giants faced practically all the teams in the playoffs from the NFC. I again wonder what the relevance of this statement is.

My opponent also states that the Giants beat the Steelers handily. To this I say "Everyone has off weeks."

I again thank my opponent for creating this debate and wish him the best of luck!
CHS

Con

CHS forfeited this round.
theitalianstallion

Pro

I am disappointed in the efforts exhibited by my opponent, but thank him for this debate anyway.

Extend all previous arguments.

Please vote Con.
Posted by DeadLeaves93 8 years ago
DeadLeaves93
Yeah,
I thought the Cardinals had won it when Fitzgerald got that TD in 4th Quarter, even though I Pitsburgh had enough time to come back.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that as long as there werent any factors in the game regarding cheating (i.e. performance enhancing drugs), or any clearly bad calls, then the team who wins deserved to win, regardless of their stats or records.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
Would you, Deadleaves, have felt the same if the Cardinals won the Super Bowl and not your beloved Steelers?
Posted by DeadLeaves93 8 years ago
DeadLeaves93
If the Pitsburgh Steelers did not deserve to win the Super Bowl,
they wouldn't have won the Super Bowl.
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 8 years ago
DrumBum1234
CHStheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
CHStheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by DeadLeaves93 8 years ago
DeadLeaves93
CHStheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by CHS 8 years ago
CHS
CHStheitalianstallionTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
CHStheitalianstallionTied