xxLunnarisxx
SimonSmasher

Did the nazis deserve the death penalty

SimonSmasher has forfeited round #2.

xxLunnarisxx

Con

I mean no disrespect to the victims. By no any means am I saying that I support those responsible for this horrific crime.
In my opinion the way we handled this situation was very hypocrite. People who were condemned for killing were murdered. I know this is a very simplistic aproach to the torture they actually executed but, all I am trying to say is that I think that killing is wrong, whoever it is, and most people seem to agree with that statement when presented this way. However, there seems to be a change of opinion when we are refering to people who did such montrosities. I guess my real question here is: Who should we extent our compassion and mercy too, and if not to everyone, baring in mind this example, how can we even make a fair choice and know that our actions are not a reflection of our anger and the fact that we want revenge. I think that if we are truly that shocked that over a million died, we should also condemn the fact that more were added up to that number (some inclusively were killed where they previously killed people in concentration camps). To me that is just lowering ouserlves (by ourselves I mean those who condemn the holocaust but think that the nazis got what they deserved) to almost their level, allowing our hatered to justify murder. I completly understand why people hate Nazi, just like, I imagine, the hatered for jews was very justified at the time, considering people were being bombarded with conspirancy theories and propaganda. But also, I know that despite all the research I do I I will never have any idea of how it felt to be dehumanized to that point and how frustrating it is to hear someone saying we should have showed the Nazis mercy after all they did.
SimonSmasher

Pro

q1. "Did the Nazis deserve the death penalty?"

a1. I completely understand where you are coming from in you views, and I think it is a fair point. However, the point of these death sentences wasn't for revenge, it was to show strength and decisiveness. Considering this was the 2nd time Germany tried to conquer Europe, world leaders needed to ensure that no further war/conquest would take place. By executing these terrible, terrible individuals, the message wasn't vengeance; it was deterrence. By killing these monsters, it would show the world just what the cost of such evil was.

As someone who is of European Jewish decent, I admit I am biased on this; but I firmly believe such violence was needed to deter any such events happening again.

q2. "Who should we extent our compassion and mercy too, and if not to everyone, baring in mind this example, how can we even make a fair choice and know that our actions are not a reflection of our anger and the fact that we want revenge."

a2. I think most deserve compassion and mercy; but when the death of the individual can save the lives of others, it should be carried out. You're right it is hard to make unbiased decisions, but this is what court systems are for. Although it's not perfect, it's better than nothing.

Note: I am against capital punishment.
xxLunnarisxx

Con

Your point: it was to show strength and decisiveness

This is not necessarily good. One of the aspects that triggered WWII was precisely the displays of strength of the winners to an embarrassed and destroyed Germany, who was basically blamed for all war and had to pay for it almost alone. It's basically repeating the same mistakes of the past, ignoring history and doing what it seems to be the most immediate solution to the problem.
Also, to you, was the punishment deserved because they tortured and killed other human being or because of their imperialistic ideology.
If it was because they were responsible for killing other humans
So were the people who agreed to execute them. They could just give them other sort of adequate punishment and don't allow them to do it again, it's not that hard, especially since the camps were liberated and knowing who they were they could keep a close eye on them for the rest of their life's
If it was because of Europe
Killing a bunch of people doesn't kill an ideology. It's only a solution on short term and that ideology might gain power again. What do you do then? Kill a person who doesn't oppose imperialism before they even did anything wrong because of what they might do in the future?
Posted by FanboyMctroll 2 months ago
FanboyMctroll
I think all killers should be killed, I would take it a step further and have them killed the same way, in the gas chambers just so they could experience their last breath of air the same way the victims suffered.

I would put the Nazi's in the concentration camps and starve them first for a year, then throw them in the chambers with Zyklon B!!!