blackkill56
debator89

Diego Maradona is a better Soccer Player than Pele.

Started: 8/12/2013 Category: Sports

blackkill56

Pro

I think Diego Maradona is better because, in my opinion, he has the best skills out of all the soccer players of all time. Pele's only good because he was the youngest person ever to win the world cup and was one of the top goal scorers of his time. However, Maradona could dribble the ball down the whole pitch with out breaking a sweat. He would use spins, tricks and skill to pass his opponent. Pele might be a better goal scorer but Maradona, he made The Hand of God! In conclusion, Maradona is the best soccer player of all time because in a general soccer contest, he would beat Pele.
debator89

Con

I refuse to agree to your stand of Diego Maradona being a better player than Pele.

Looking at the positions they played in, Maradona was an attacking midfielder, while Pele was an out-and-out striker. Different positions require them to play different roles in the game. To say that Pele lacked the dribbling skills is premature, as most of the time, those skills of his were not required in his role of a main striker, and Maradona had more chances as an attacking midfielder to display his dictionary of skills.

Turning our focus entirely to Pele. Being an out and out striker, his job on the pitch was the score goals. Fulfilling your role on the pitch then, makes you a good player. Pele has a goal-scoring average of 0.924 per game, which means that he almost certainly scores every single game. I feel that, this itself, speaks aloud the caliber Pele had as a player.

My last point in Round 1 would be to argue against your point of 'Hand of God', giving Maradona bonus points for being a better player. Obviously, the use of the hand is against the Law of Football, therefore, I don't see why cheating, and denying that he cheated (which he admitted around 10 years later), would make him a better footballer.
blackkill56

Pro

OK. I understand where you are coming from with your argument. However, the debate is about which soccer player is better not if Pele was a good soccer player.

The best way to determine that would be in a 1 on 1 soccer match, full pitch. Diego Maradona would destroy Pele because of his general ability to pass his opponent (Pele) and run the ball up the pitch and score, as there is no goal keeper. What would Pele do? Stand in the offence and wait for the ball to somehow make it's way up to his end. If the ball did find it's way to Pele, then only would Pele only beat Maradona at that point in time.

Determining this argument another way, such as overall stats, would not be accurate as their could have been many, many factors that contributed to the accumulated stats for both players.

I finish this argument by saying, Pele would only beat Diego Maradona in a scoring contest, however moving the ball to the offence is more important than scoring.
debator89

Con

I do not understand your emphasis on a one-on-one match. A one-on-one match may or may not decide who is a better football player. If a one-on-one match was to be employed to decide who the better player was, freestyle footballers would beat them both because all you need is that slight moment of trickery to get pass the opposition and to walk the ball into the empty net. Therefore, I feel that to compare between the two players, their performances on the field would play more into account, as opposed to pitching them to a one-on-one contest.

As to who the better player was, I am sure different people have different judgement. However, to put it in black-and-white, evidences must be shown, which is why I brought up stats to back my argument. Statistically, Pele was the better goal-scorer. Adding on to the goal-scoring stats, Pele also had 4349 assists as compared to Maradona's 3456 assists. I strongly believe that assists are one of the few main elements to objectify the role of an attacking midfielder, and even in this aspect, Pele excels over Maradona.

Therefore, I end of Round 2 of my argument by saying that, the only way to compare players would be with their stats, and Pele appears to be the better player, statistically.
blackkill56

Pro

blackkill56 forfeited this round.
debator89

Con

debator89 forfeited this round.
Posted by Piccini 4 years ago
Piccini
Good debate. I wish luck to whoever stands up for Pel".