goldman
DebateIsTheEssenceOfLife

Difficulty in developing of alternative energy sources

goldman

Pro

Global warming is threatening our life, natural environment and modern civilization these days. Many countries and communities of the world are seriously tackling in developing new energy sources like solar, wind and atomic energies. However, I believe their efforts and endeavours are facing serious and difficult problems to promote for the introduction of new alternative energy sources replacing with fossile energies. I hope someone who is interested in this problem accept this debate.
DebateIsTheEssenceOfLife

Con

I accept the challenge and I assume that this first round is simply for acceptance. The topic of alternative energies is one that I am currently debating in public forum. Good luck!
goldman

Pro

After the World War Second many developed countries have used fossile fuels to maintain stable economic activities. We have been dependent too much on those natural resources to make our life comfortable and convinient. Here, we have to recognize that ``fossile fuels (oil, coal and natural gas ) currently provide about 85percent of all the energy use both in U.S. and worldwide. These resources are being constantly depleted.``(www. renewable- energysources.com)
Without oil, we can not drive and produce electricity. Using fossile energies has contributed to building mass-produced and mass-consumption Affluent Society since the end of the War for many countries of the world. These days newly emerging countries like China and India are catching up with the U.S. and Japan in the GDP(gross domestic product) based on the economic model of highly developed countries. Both countries are using fossile energies too much. On the other hand economy and industry which are dependent on fossile energies have produced global warming. And as I mentioned earlier, natural resources are decreasing every year. Shortage of those resources and global warming are threatening human survival and are contributing to making an impasse for attaining stable economic development.
To coping with these serious problems facing us today many governments, local cities and communities are tackling with developing of new alternative energy sources. However, unfortunately there are number of hurdles to promote the project. What kinds of difficult factors lie ahead for developing of new energy sources like solar, wind and nuclear power? In round 3, I discuss them from the viewpoint of international political relations and social perspective.
DebateIsTheEssenceOfLife

Con

DebateIsTheEssenceOfLife forfeited this round.
goldman

Pro

Con, I am sad that you forfeited round 2. I continue my argument and I am looking forward to reading your argument.
I want to discuss the difficulty and disadvantages of three alternative energy sources. They are nuclear power, solar power and wind power. I point out the disadvantages of nuclear power. (1) Although it does not produce much waste, it is very dangerous. (2) It must be sealed up and buried for many thousands of years to allow the radioactivity to die away. For all that time it must be kept safe from earthquakes, flooding, terrorists and everything else. This is difficult.
(3) Nuclear power is reliable, but a lot of money has to be spent on safety. If it does go wrong, a nuclear accident can be a major disaster. There is a growing rejection and anti-movement toward the introduction of nuclear power in the world since the accident of Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan which took place on March13,2011. Moreover, in the 1990`s nuclear power was the fastest -growing source of power in much of the world. But in 2005 it was the second slowest -growing. (main references: www.darvill.clara.net) Next is the disadvantages of solar power. (1) It does not work at night. (2) It is very expensive to build solar power station, although the cost is coming down as technology improves. (3) It can be unrealiable unless you are in a very sunny climate. (www. darvill.clara.net) The last one is the disadvantages of wind power. (1) The wind is not always predictable. Some days have no wind. (2) Suitable areas for wind farms are often near the coast, where land is expensive. (3) Some people feel that covering the landscape with these towers is unsighty.(www. darvill. clara.net) The important thing is that solar and wind power are too much dependent on climate and location of the countries and communities which are planning to build facilities for wind and solar powers. Therefore, these days European industries are looking to Arab deserts to get new energy sources like solar power. The reason is that the Sahara desert receives twice as much sunlight as Paris, is sparsely inhabited and contains silicium, a material key to making solar panels.( The Japan Times, November26,2011) However, many African people regard the project as ``a neocolonialist enterprise to pillage their resources.`` (The Japan Times, November26,2011) From above mentioned arguments I believe there are many hurdles and difficulties in developing of new alternative energy sources.
DebateIsTheEssenceOfLife

Con

Posted by diety 4 years ago
diety
So.... what exactly are you arguing?