k180798
Rm150300

Digimon has a better storyline than Pokemon

k180798

Pro

This is my first debate so please be nice :D
This debate will focus on the story (plot, characters, settings, evolution, etc).
Round1 acceptance
Round2-3 debate
Round4 closing statement
Rm150300

Con

I accept this debate.
k180798

Pro

k180798 forfeited this round.
Rm150300

Con

Pokemon is the best. It has better storyline, better characters and better creatures.
I have not actually watched digimon, but I am a Pokemon fan and prepare to fight.
k180798

Pro

The reasons I prefer Digimon to Pokemon:
1. Plot The plot in Digimon has exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. I will take Digimon Tamers as the example. The first episodes of Tamers were focusing on introducing the character and how they met with their digimon. Then they made a rising action, which was the appearance of Deva digimons in their world. This rising action continued until the fighting between the Tamers with D-Reaper, which was the climax. The falling action was when the kids gathered together with their digimon, celebrated their victory. The resolution was when the digimon must return to their original world.
And after finishing a season, they always introduce a new concept in the next season. For example, in Digimon adventure 1 there's only basic digivolution. Next, in Digimon Adventure 2, there is armor digivolution, which come from an egg. In Digimon Tamers, they introduce mega digivolution by bio-merging the kids and their digimon. Digimon Frontiers brought a whole new idea, the kids become a digimon by doing spirit evolution.

2. Characters
- In Digimon, the kids can only have one digimon.
- The digimons also have the ability to talk like a human.
These two are the reason why the character development of digimon is better than Pokemon, especially between the kids with their digimon/Pokemon. Rather than dividing his attention to 11 Pokemon like Ash, Takato can focusing his attention to Guilmon. He finds a place for Guilmon to live, he gives Guilmon the bread from his house, he plays with Guilmon, etc.

3. Evolution
Pokemon: 3 stages of evolution, can't devolve.
Digimon: 6 stages of evolution, can devolve and rebirth (by becoming a digi-egg)

Additional reasons:
1. Lavender Town Syndrome
2. Electric Soldier Porygon

Selfish reasons:
1. Digimon has the best songs! Especially Butterfly and Biggest Dreamer!
2. Cool fire-breathing dinosaur protagonist or cute pika-pika rat protagonist? Really?
3. Digimon is cleverer than Pok"mon. They can speak not only their name like Pokemon.
4. Ash has been 10 years for about 17 years! Taichi (protagonist from digimon adventure 1) has grown up and become the ambassador of digimon, he even have a child!
Rm150300

Con

Rebuttal:
Do. Not. Diss. Pikachu.
The whole opinion you have on Pikachu is wrong. You seem to think he is just a a little mouse Pokemon, and the fire breathing fire thing is better. A whole sub-plot is based on Pikachu. Yes, he may be small, and he may be weaker then the big Pokemon, but the fights on. In Series One episode 11, Ash has to choose whether to evolve Pikachu to win. But Pikachu refuses, as he is determined to win as himself, he will not change. Not only is this touching, but it sends a good message to the children-adults watching it.

The opposition has stated that Digimon is better because there is only one, instead of being able to get more, like you can in Pokemon. But aren't our parents always telling us to make more friends? We cannot only focus on one person, we must build up a good network of friends, as it will help us rise to their talents. Also, The Pokemon kike having others around it, to talk to.

Which leads to when you stated that The Digimon characters are better because they can speak english. Sure, that's great, they can talk to their owner and everything. But this takes away one of the basic plots of the two: Animal (or pokemon/digimon) and Human co-operation. They anthropomorph the creatures so they no longer seem like animals.

Also, you stated that Taichi has grown up. Yes. He has. That is one of the mistakes this series has made. The program is aimed at kids, so features kids. The children can relate to someone their own age, but can you see one relating to an adult? No.

Pro also stated that the pokemon are stupid because they can only say their name, while Digimon speak english....So...are you calling people who speak other languages stupid? Because they do not speak English? The Pokemon are communicating, their name IS their language. The way they say it is how they communicate. I could just as well state that Digimon are stupid because they cannot talk by saying their name is different ways like Pokemon can.

And please. Check your grammer. He even HAS a child. Not even have a child. Ok?

Thankyou
Vote for Con
k180798

Pro

I'm sorry if my grammar is bad. It's my second language and I'm still 14 :)
And you must check on your spelling.

Also, The Pokemon kike having others around it, to talk to. (paragraph 2 last sentence)
Kike (pron.: /G2;ka=8;k/) is a derogatory slur used to refer to Jews.

Check your grammer. (Last paragraph, before you corrected my grammar)
Last time I checked, the word is spelled grammar.

Ok, back to the debate. Con said:
But aren't our parents always telling us to make more friends? (paragraph 2 line 2)
This argument is based on what parents taught us. Well, my parents never tell me to make more friends. They told me, one bestfriend you can rely on is better than a hundred friends.

Which leads to when you stated that The Digimon characters are better because they can speak english. (par. 3)
That's not what I wrote in my previous argument. I wrote: The digimons also have the ability to talk like a human.

That is one of the mistakes this series has made. (par. 4)
That's not a mistake. They made Taichi and the others into adult just in the last 5 minutes of the series. It's like an epilogue, which pokemon doesn't have. What I want to tell is, even if it's aimed at kids, the story must have an end. A real end where the characters are no longer used in the next season.

The children can relate to someone their own age, but can you see one relating to an adult? No. (par. 4)
Well, when I watched this episode for the first time, I was 6. As a child, you always have dreams, even some of the dream are unrealistic. Taichi became an ambassador for digimon, Matt became an astronout, Sora became a designer, Joe became a digimon doctor, T.K. became a novelist, others became a detective, lawyer, cook, researcher, etc. Thoe jobs are the most common dream of a kid, and showing the DigiDestineds can have those jobs will inspire them to pursue their dream in reality.

Pro also stated that the pokemon are stupid because they can only say their name, while Digimon speak english.(par.5)
I wrote: Digimon is cleverer than Pok"mon. They can speak not only their name like Pokemon. There is no word in this sentence indicating pokemons are stupid. There is also no word in this sentence indicating Digimon speak english.
I'm just saying that Digimons have the ability to talk like a human, not in specific language (to response the next sentence which acused me to undermine the intelligence of other people who don't speak english). In U.S., digimons speak English. In Japan, digimons speak Japanese. In Indonesia, digimons speak Indonesian.

Con has tried to give his rebuttals. But he didn't give anything about:
-PLOT, which I think as the most important thing what a pokemon anime is lack of.
-EVOLUTION
-Lavender Town Syndrome and Electric Soldier Porygon
Just FYI:
  • The Lavender Town Syndrome (also known as "Lavender Town Tone" or "Lavender Town Suicides") was a peak in suicides and illness of children between the ages of 7-12 shortly after the release of Pokémon Red and Green in Japan, back in February 27, 1996.
    Rumors say that these suicides and illness only occurred after the children playing the game reached Lavender Town, whose theme music had extremely high frequencies, that studies showed that only children and young teens can hear, since their ears are more sensible.
  • Electric Soldier Porygon is a somewhat notorious episode of the Pokémon anime, due to the fact that on its single airing in Japan on December 16, 1997, over six hundred Japanese children suffered seizures, vomiting, irritated eyes and other symptoms due to a flashing strobe effect.

Those three points are the main reason why Digimon is better than Pokemon, and the con didn't say anything about it. Also, he said:
- I undermine the intelligence of people who don't speak english
- I treat pokemon as a stupid being
Those are silly arguments created by a misconception I think. As I wrote above, I have never written anything that indicating pokemons or non-english speaker are stupid.

So basically, He is unable to argue with two of my main reasons and all of the real cases that put pokemon in disadvantage. He tried to argue with my second reason, one based on what his parents taught him to, one based on the last 5 minutes of the series, and acusing me two times based on something that I have never written.

Please vote for Pro.
And I want to thank Con for accepting my very first debate.

P.S.
Thank you for your advice. I'll learn grammar more often from today :)
Rm150300

Con

Rm150300 forfeited this round.
Posted by Gohan12345 3 years ago
Gohan12345
Digimon may be bad but it is better. Pok"mon is just a stupid little show filled with and idiot named ash fighting stupid monsters.
Posted by Rm150300 3 years ago
Rm150300
Can I just say, Digimon evolve WAYYYY to easily.
Posted by Rm150300 3 years ago
Rm150300
I accidentally forfeited, by not posting on time. Thankyou for a wonderful debate, very well done for your first one. Btw, I'm a girl :P