osumatthew
InVinoVeritas

Digimon is better than Pokemon

osumatthew

Pro

Alright, I thought that this would be a fun debate topic. Round 1 is accceptance as a challenger, rounds 2-4 are debate, and round 5 is closing appeal. No new information there please. I'd love to debate anyone on this!
InVinoVeritas

Con

osumatthew

Pro

Okay, this is something I feel pretty strongly about, so let's get started.

First of all, Digimon has a real plot line to run on. I'm not talking about individual episode plot lines, I'm talking about an epic story that defines the course of the season. Every season of Digimon has had this. And, the plot lines are never completely recycled. There's always something new about them, or a different spin that differentiates it from previous plots. For example, in season 1, the protagonists are mysteriously transported to the strange realm of the Digital World, and have no reason for why they have been brought there. They have no one to guide them, and end of finding their answers bit by bit as they explore the world and meet more beings with different bits of information. Eventually, the show is brought to a conclusion when they discover that a mysterious being appeared in the world, causing a distortion, but kept a low profile while subtly influencing lesser villains to fulfill his ultimate goal, which was to cause all beings to experience the same suffering that he constantly did. In season 4, which takes place in a different universe, a similar group of children were called to the Digital World, but they made an active choice to go, rather than being forces. The villain of that season corrupted one of the original guardians of the Digital World and encouraged him to harvest the data of the planet in order to secure his own release from the world's core. His goal was to bring about a "utopia" in which he served as a godlike being.

Secondly, the characters of Digimon are almost always wonderfully designed. While Pok"mon may occasionally have a gem of a character, Digimon consistently creates unique and relatable characters. There are too many to discuss, so I'll leave it at that.

Besides great protagonists, Digimon has developed some of the greatest antagonists of a cartoon show that I have ever seen. For example, one of the minor villains in season four establishes himself forever as a great villain by his devious scheming and backup plans. He tricks the protagonists into his alternate form, which acts as a giant labyrinth. While there, they are separated and forced to fight against the shades of of digimon that he had defeated and whose data he had absorbed. After all but one of the heroes escape, he engages him in a chamber where he has absolute control, due to his ability to instantly travel between any polished surface. He then leads the hero on to another area where he absorbs the data of Seraphimon, an angelic being whom he had defeated earlier in the season, in order to become even more powerful. After nearly killing the hero, a stroke of bad luck allowed him to be defeated both in his new form, and in the mirror filled chamber. However, when the heroes think that they are finally rid of him, he begins to animate his maze-like form, revealing that the whole thing had been a trap, causing him to be able to replicate any of their attacks while at the same time making himself immune to them. The heroes finally triumphed, but his masterful planning and terrific characterization forever enshrined him as a memorable villain.

I think I'll rest my case for now.
InVinoVeritas

Con

In regards to the opponent's first point, I would argue that Pokemon does have plot variation. There has been no evidence from his side to suggest otherwise, since no mention of Pokemon was made during the discussion of this point. Therefore, the opponent has not indicated this to be a point that makes Digimon BETTER.

Pokemon characters are far more popular and loveable by members of all age groups. A young child may admire Pikachu for his sensitivity and cuteness, while an adult may admire him for his courage in battle and courage--as well as his cuteness. This kind of versatility and deep character trait development is VERY lacking in Digimon. Very little emphasis is put on Digimonsters and their livelihoods. Also, very few Digimonsters are cute, as opposed to Pokemon.

Pokemon has a fair share of antagonists, as well. The best, of course, are Jessie and James (and Meowth, that's right.) Through integration of pure evil and humor, they are the most hated yet loveable duo in anime. Pokemon uses humor to engage audiences in a much more effective way than Digimon. Digimon is not as funny... And that's why it is not as loved by fans.

---

Pokemon came out in 1995. Digimon came out in 1997. Digimon is just a stupid copy of Pokemon. It's sort of like Burger King and McDonalds; the general consensus is that the model rather than the mimicker, McDonalds, is the better of the two.
osumatthew

Pro

Allow me to respond to my opponent. On the first issue, I maintain that Pokemon lacks a true plot line. Sure, maybe it had one in the beginning, when Ash was first setting out to become a "Pokemon Master", but now, after 16 seasons, it's getting a little old. The formula has become one of "Ash goes to region x and travels with male and female companions a and b. He works his way through, defeating minor gym leaders. He makes it to the finals. He loses if they're really important, or wins if they're not that important. Ash moves on to next region, and repeats the process." The point is, the plot is never going to end the way things are now. It has degraded to the point where there is not true plot at all.

My opponent's second point is both superficial and lacking in knowledge of Digimon. While it's true that Pokemon are know worldwide, it's only because the franchise gained the edge in marketing. His comment on lack of deep character development in the Digimon franchise is truly astonishing: characterization is one of the highlights of the show. In fact, all of the main protagonists get significant development, and are nearly always multidimensional characters. While it's true that not much emphasis is put on the characters' livelihoods, this is due to the fact that the characters are usually children, and/or spend most of the season in a world that doesn't revolve around the same things as Earth does. However, in season 3, the protagonists' parents are explored deeply, and quite a bit of focus is devoted to their occupations. For example, Henry Wong's father is a computer programmer, and throughout the course of the season we learn more and more about him, until it's finally revealed that in his college years, he and some friends actually worked on an artificial intelligence project that would serve as the catalyst for the evolution of Digimon.

On the point about villains, I have to say that Team Rocket just doesn't make the cut for "effective". They are, in fact, on of the most incompetent groups in all of fiction. Their plots never work, and they're constantly beaten on and humiliated. I have never seen them actually pull off a scheme that works for any longer than the course of a single episode. Plus, their motives are both irrational and one dimensional. If they are in the business to steal Pokemon, then why not go after ones that are easier to get? And, they're almost always used as comic relief as opposed to genuinely frightening villains. For example, here are some quotes from villains of Digimon, revealing their true maliciousness and ruthlessness: "And when you find the 8th child, then he must die!" (Myotismon)
"Just so you know, once I take care of you, I'm going to finish your friends off one by one!" (Beelzemon)
"Such a shame that your playmate had to go away, but I'm still here." (Lucemon)
"Digimon are nothing but vermin. They don't need friends, they need exterminators. And I should know, since I've exterminated so many digimon." (Akiro Kurata)

However, the show has its definite light moments as well. In the first season especially, there were a lot of corny jokes that helped lighten the general mood. It was kind of funny when the characters point out the various oddities of the world, like road signs pointing to nowhere and stuff like that. Just look up some of the stuff and you can find some of them.

As for their origins, while it is true that the origins of the two franchises began at the times you stated, it is both absurd and untrue to say that Digimon is a knockoff of Pokemon. The only similarities between them involve monsters, the names, and the fact that they are both children's animes. Saying that one is a knockoff of the other is like saying that football is a knockoff of baseball. They are similar in several respects, but they are so fundamentally different that there's no way to validly claim that they ripped off each other. Pokemon is essentially a story of random people who engage in an activity reminiscent of cockfighting. It sounds bad, but that's basically what it is. All of the overall motives are selfish, and revolve around "being the best". Digimon is more reminiscent of Narnia, and traditional tales of good versus evil, and reluctant heroes. For the most part, the protagonists don't choose to be heroes, but are instead called to the task, and their experiences cause them to grow and change for the better throughout the season. Ash might learn a lesson in one episode, but he'll completely forget about it before the next episode rolls around.

Finally, don't take any of this as a dislike for Pokemon. I love the games, and I have yet to watch a Pokemon movie that I've truly disliked. However, the anime is obviously inferior and over hyped when compared to that of Digimon, in my humble opinion.
InVinoVeritas

Con

This is boring.

Instead, I will argue that nothing is inherently "better" than anything else. Things can be liked more than others by various people, but the things themselves cannot be described as "better."
osumatthew

Pro

Since you accepted this debate challenge, I'm not going to let you get away with that copout. While what is "better" is subjective for the most part, in this case we have something that is clearly superior in terms of design, artistic style, plot and characters. I believe that that alone qualifies it as being "better" in the sense of being a superior creation.

I believe that my opponent has already conceded defeat, judging from the way in which he attempts to use boredom to explain his lack of debate material.
InVinoVeritas

Con

InVinoVeritas forfeited this round.
osumatthew

Pro

osumatthew forfeited this round.
InVinoVeritas

Con

You're a poophead <3
Posted by LostVoice 4 years ago
LostVoice
Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention,

InVinoVeritas typed:
"Instead, I will argue that nothing is inherently "better" than anything else. Things can be liked more than others by various people, but the things themselves cannot be described as "better."

Which in my opinion is one the biggest cop outs I've ever heard.
Posted by LostVoice 4 years ago
LostVoice
Well, it looks like Osuma wins this round. Taking into account that his responses were more thought out, and he gave more info.

Not to mention Invino gives up due to "boredom". More likely he was too lazy to read what Osuma posted given it was quite long.