BangBang-Coconut
socialpinko

Digital art is a lesser form of art then traditional art

BangBang-Coconut
Started: 3/26/2011 Category: Arts

BangBang-Coconut

Con

Rules:
1. No semantics
2. Both sides have a burden to prove their side
3. All arguments must be organized with postmarks prior to argumentation. (i.e. no huge chunks of text that are all over the place)
4. No semantics or arguing over definitions
5. The moment a rule is broken, the violator will lose the debate.
6. Forfeiting a round does NOT mean that person looses, but if some-one does forfeit a round they will lose a conduct point.

Round 1 is for greeting/definitions
Rounds 2 and 3 are for argumentation
Round 4 is for closing statements and voting issues (No new arguments here.)

Definitions-
1. Digital art: Art made by digital means, or enhanced through a digital platfom (Pixel art, digital paintings, edited photography etc.)

2. Traditional art: Art made with-out any kind of digital medium. (Painting, colored pencils, copic marker art, etc.)
socialpinko

Pro

I look forward to this debate and very much enjoyed our last debate. Good luck!

If it would be okay with my opponent I would like to further clarify on a point in the resolution. The word 'lesser' has not been defined and might be a source of confusion coming up in the debate. I felt this term needed to be defined as my opponent set aside the first round for definitions and so it would be a violation of the rule for my opponent to define this term any later in the debate. Therefore, I would like to define that term here.

Lesser: Smaller in amount, value, or importance, especially in a comparison between two things[1]

I sincerely hope that this definition is satisfactory to my opponent in that he specifically made it a rule that we can not argue over definitions.

I await my opponent's opening arguments and look forward to an interesting debate.

[1]http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Federico Fellini once said, "All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography."
and the simple fact is; this is utterly true. Art is expression regardless of the field or medium, whether the artist holds an acrylic soaked paint brush; or the stylus of a tablet- the end product is a sincere expression of themselves.

Now in the realm of framing this debate; both sides have a burden of proof. I must prove that both mediums (digital and traditional) are equal; my opponent must either prove that traditional art is superior to digital art, or that digital art is of lesser value.

As I've already proven, all art has inherent worth being that it is art; and medium has nothing to do with it being any better or any worse. Thus I will be using this constructive speech time to point out some practical points between the two; and discussing the true difficulty behind Digital art. Also for clarification; my sources are posted in the comments section.

Traditional art is expensive-
Now in our society today he have digital art all over the place; it has utterly saturated our society (and with good reason). Digital art is convenient and cost effective.

Speaking from experience; good traditional art supplies are expensive. A popular brand of markers known as Copic markers (I love these tings) [1] can go for anywhere between $5-8 a marker. a set of only twelve markers costs roughly $80 a set of 72 markers can cost near $470 and a complete set can cost well over $1,000. also given the obvious fact that when doing traditional art you are bound to eventually run out of supplies.
[2]Acrylic paint (a much more common medium) is also impractical; it can cost anywhere from $2-20 per 1 ounce bottle. Not to mention that paint eventually runs out as well; which can lead to a piece drying before finished and ultimately being ruined. I could go on forever making this same comparison; but he point is made; Good traditional art supplies are expensive, and eventually run out.

Traditional art is limiting-
When working in digital art; the artist's best friend quickly becomes Ctrl+z, traditional art does not have this luxury. When using colored pencils(my favorite traditional medium), if too much is applied (a technique also known as burnishing) the color cannot be taken off, or colored over. when using watercolor, if the water is spilled; or too much water is used--the entire picture can be completely destroyed. In chalk pastels (also a personal favorite)

In conclusion of traditional medium, it is expensive; and only completely available to certain portion of society who can afford to continuously buy the necessary products. While the product can be beautiful and amazing; we can see in the area of a pragmatic approach, Traditional art is far from being better.

Digital art is cheap-
For digital art you only need a few things, things that most people already readily have access to. A computer, the internet, (and the only thing you have to buy) a graphic tablet. [3] A Wacom intuos medium tablet costs a one-time price of only $349. (And that's only assuming you buy the medium size, you can opt for a smaller size and save $130.) Or if you can't afford that; Wacom also offers a cheaper model, the [4] Bamboo Pen (the kind I use) for only $69.

As for the program; every PC ( I'm not sure about mac ) comes with a standard program [5] MS Paint, you can also download the free program [6]Gimp said to rival photoshop in usage, or use the free online tool [7] sumo paint and even [8] Deviantart's Da muro. I could mention the multiple other free online outlets, and such; but I feel I've made this point abundantly clear.

Digital art can emulate traditional technique-
As an adamant supporter of this style; I feel it important to point out [9] digital painting. A technique in which you paint a picture, with a digital program. The finished product looks just as good (in many cases better) than traditional painting techniques. [10] Watercolor, [11] colored pencils, [12] and pastel can also be emulated via digital medium

Digital art is difficult to master-
I'll be frank; drawing on a tablet is much harder than drawing free-hand. thankfully I'm blessed enough to own a scanner and be able to scan in my line drawing do then do work on them digitally. Far too often people discredit digital artists; giving all the glory of the art to a computer, or a program and not realizing just how difficult it really is.

Go ahead I urge you right now to open MS paint and free hand (as in with the pencil tool not the circle tool) draw as perfect a circle as you can. then do the exact same with a pencil and paper. Digital artists have a lot less control over their canvases as opposed to traditional artists, and even with the convenience of a graphic tablet you still have the limitations of working with a bit-map (or vector field if the art is vector). Yet even with such limitations, digital artists are still able to create works of stunning beauty.

Now at this moment I will close my constructive as to not completely overwhelm my opponent before they have an opportunity to present their own case. But thus far; I feel as though I've proven the point-- all art is art, regardless of medium.

Vote Con :D

over to the Pro!
socialpinko

Pro

Traditional art is expensive

My opponent's first point is that traditional art is expensive while digital art is more cost efficient, therefore the two form are equal. However, something being less expensive does not make it better when speaking of quality. Therefore this argument should have no bearing on the resolution.

Traditional art is limiting

My opponent's next claim is that because it is easier to fix screw ups with digital art then it is for traditional art, the two forms are equal. This point might be useful if the resolution was that it is easier to make digital art. But the easier it is to produce something, the lower the quality will be.

The quality of something which took me a minute to make will of course be less then the quality of something that was worked on painstakingly for months. Just because it is hard to make a piece of traditional art does not mean that digital art is on par with it. Traditional art being hard to make just forces the artist to become more skillful and careful in producing the art.

Digital art is cheap

This point is just a reitterating of my opponent's first point that traditional art is expensive to create. I will negate this contention like I did the first. We are debating on whether or not digital art is a lesser form of traditional art. Price should not come into the question of quality.

Digital art can emulate traditional technique.

My opponent's next claim is that digital art can be made to look like traditional art. This does not being on par as far as quality goes, just like a counterfeit dollar bill is not worth the same as a real dollar bill.

Digital art is difficult to master

My opponent now claims that digital art is difficult to create. However this contradicts one of his points in which he states that traditional art is too limiting in that it is harder to fix mistakes made when creating a traditional art work. Either it is easier or more difficult to create digital art. My opponent cannot keep both positions.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Rebuttal overview-
First; My opponent has not upheld his burden by offering any constructive arguments for Traditional Art; thus the maximum benefit he can hope to achieve is a tie.
Second; My opponent's refutations also does not refute the argumentation behind my own constructive claims.

that said, I will now move on to my opponent's refutations

Traditional art is expensive-
First my opponent makes a very general and vague statement in refutation of this argument.
First; this debate's realm is not solely quality, but whether or not Digital art is lesser than traditional art, thus since price is a huge part of this (as many artists are not rich) price is a huge factor in determining this debate.

Traditional art is limiting-
First my opponent offers a logical fallacy here. he claims that if something takes longer to make, then it will be of a higher quality. This is utterly not true! If it took me three hours to make a pizza; but it only took a master chef 30 minutes, my pizza doesn't taste any better because I took longer on it.

Ultimately it comes down to the skill of the artist to which is better. That said, the undeniable truth that traditional art is limiting (which Pro never denies) is still true

Digital art is cheap-
My opponent extended his attacks on this contention (and utterly ignored what I was saying here) so I will simply extend the same defense as on my first point.

Again, this debate is not solely about quality (yet another logical fallacy of my opponent). And even if it where, his backing behind this argument is flawed because it make the claim that digital art is not real art by comparing it to counterfeit money.

Digital art is difficult to master-
The attack my opponent makes here is non-viable.
First; the limitations are different, thus not comparable. Just as an apple and an orange are different and not comparable
Second; Here I'm talking about mastering the style, not fixing a mistake. Just because a person knows how to use an eraser (Fix a mistake) does not mean that becoming a Da Vinci, Rembrandt, Picasso, or Monet is easy.
My opponent's attacks here are based on faulty assumptions.

Now going down, my opponent presents no counter arguments for me to attack; thus if even one of my points remains true I must win by default until my opponent makes a case for traditional art. Accordingly, vote Con!
socialpinko

Pro

I would like to forfeit this debate. It seems that my insomnia has caught up with me and I do not have the mental capacity nor the enrgy to carry on a serious debate at the moment. I apologize to my opponent and would like to re-debate him at a later point.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Sadly, but for understandable reasons my opponent has to forfeit this debate.
I ask that he not have conduct points deducted for this; and otherwise ask for the vote in this debate.
socialpinko

Pro

While I dislike losing debates, I believe my opponent has provided a sound argument in favor of his resolution. He clearly knows what he is talking about.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
How to we evaluate "lesser"? Do I argue that digital takes less skill, is less visually appealing, or what?
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
I disagree!
Vote Placed by Puck 6 years ago
Puck
BangBang-CoconutsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Debate conceded.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
BangBang-CoconutsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, calm down you are almost spamming debates.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
BangBang-CoconutsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession