Then
Mikal

Diligence is the only way to success

Mikal

Then

Pro

I feel that diligence is the only way to success as we all have to be diligent to succeed at something. For example, we need diligence to pass a test and we also needed diligence when we first started to walk.
Thus, I feel that diligence is the only way to success.
Mikal

Con

Then

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting my debate.
As my opponent did not post a first round argument, I will not post my argument now but let my opponent have his say.
Mikal

Con

I am kind of confused by pro letting me have the first contention seeing as how he has taken the BOP, but I will make my case for this.

Let us examine what pro is claiming. He is saying " Diligence is the only way to success", and this claim if it was worded better would be a an accurate inference to draw. He could state Diligence is the best way to achieve success, or it is a definitive way to be successful, but that is not the case. He is stating it is the "only" way be successful.

For him to address this contention he must then show that there is no other way for someone to achieve success other than diligence. So now lets look at what success is.

1. Success

(a) Degree of measure of succeeding.

(b) Favorable or desired outcome

(c) Can be measured in wealth

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

First contention

For Pros stance to be true, he must show that no one can achieve success by any other means than diligence. As I have also shown success is a very subjective term. It can just be achieving a daily goal of not drinking a coke. Where as this could take some diligence, it is definitely not entirely diligent to deny yourself an urge. Also one can be born into success.

Example A

A rich kid was born into a his wealthy family. He spends his time after he is 21 drinking his life away and sleeping with random girls and never getting a job or trying to advance himself. His father then passes away and he is left with his families business. He is now rich and the CEO of the company.

There are two ways we can look at this

(view 1) He has achieved success in his previous life, because he could have met his goal of sleeping with girls, or going out and getting a drink for the night. No diligence is required of this

(view 2) After he is granted the position of CEO he is now successful by most people standards. Again no diligence or any act of his own, is required of him.

By both of the view points we can clearly see, that he can achieve success without diligence, thus pros statement is false. This is just one example in a wide spectrum of occurrences that can happen to people.

Contention 2

How someone perceives success and how others perceive them as successful is entirely subjective. So as i have shown above it is entirely viable for someone to be successful by their own standards, or to even be successful by another persons standards.

What I mean by that is this. You can have a job you hate, and think your life sucks. To a homeless person you are successful. You literally can work at kfc and have no diligence at all put into the job, but be successful in some other persons eyes.

In Closing

It is quite obvious o see, that someone could accidentally obtain success, or obtain success intentionally without putting forth any diligence at all.

Then

Pro

Yes, my opponent has some good arguments but, in all his points, he fails to see the true meaning of success.
Success means to achieve your great goals in life.
Is opening a can of coke a great goal? No I doubt so.
Is sleeping with girls a great goal? I don't think so. This is in fact very unhealthy behavior which encourages nothing but bad thought or feelings.
You say the kid gets his father's company and becomes a CEO.
However, does he want the company? Is this the job he wants? You do not state if the kid is happy or not at his job. He might be incompetent, unsure of how to run the company. In a few years time, the company may be forced to close.
After all, happiness is also success. You can be successful in the eye of others, but you must be happy in order for it to be true success.
This can be achieved by being diligent and working hard to achieving your great goals in life.
Once you have achieved it, you will feel a great sense of happiness of finally gaining true success through hard work and labour.
That, as they say, is the true fruits of hard labour.
Thus, diligence is the one and only way to success.
Mikal

Con

I will refute some of my adversaries remarks.

1st rebuttal

"Success means to achieve your great goals in life."

This is definitely not true, as i have shown previously. Success is not just to achieve a great goal, it is accomplishing something you set out to do. Success in itself is achieving a desired outcome. I have shown this in my previous argument. While opening a can of coke may not be great, it can be a goal someone set for themselves so accomplishing it makes them successful.

2nd rebuttal

"You say the kid gets his father's company and becomes a CEO.
However, does he want the company?"

In my example i stated a child was given his fathers company and he is immediately successful by most peoples standards. My adversary just completely looked over the point I was making here. It was essentially success in itself, is in the eye of the beholder. Whether he wanted it or not, other people would still consider him successful. Just in having the position alone, he has been granted something most people want. He is successful whether he fails at the job or not, just due to the perception of other people.

3rd rebuttal

"You can be successful in the eye of others, but you must be happy in order for it to be true success."

There is no way to say this other than that is a incorrect statement. By saying this he is taking his own definition of what success means and applying it other peoples perspectives. He is essentially saying, he does not think they are successful if they do not have diligence to perform the ask. The person themselves however can be successful if they just simply complete a small task that require 0 diligence.

He then goes on to share what his idea of true success is. While that may be success for him as I have just shown, it may not mean success to someone else. Just achieving a sense of self worth is success within itself, or just meeting a desired outcome that you set out to achieve. Some of these require 0 diligence.

In closing

My adversary has failed to show that diligence is the only one true way to achieve success. He has shown that it is possible to be successful by being diligent, but did not demonstrate or show that in fact this is the "only" way to achieve success. This debate would have better fit his opinion if he stated "Diligence is a good way to be successful". but that is not the case. He has failed to meet his BOP and show that diligence is the only way to be successful. Thank you.
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
ThenMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof, but Con had the stronger argument. Pro undertook to prove that diligence is the _only_ way to succeed. Con showed that some successes don't involve diligence. Pro was reduced to no-true-Scottsman rebuttals, simply refusing to count some successes as successes.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
ThenMikalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not demonstrate or show that in fact this is the "only" way to achieve success, which was the only thing he needed to do to fulfill his BoP. Con showed that success can be obtained by simply being lucky and that achieving success can be easy depending on the definition of success.