Discipulus_Didicit
vi_spex

Discipulus_Didicit has on at least one occasion received coal from science

Started: 7/19/2015 Category: Funny

Discipulus_Didicit

Con

Vi_spex has made a statement to this effect. I challenge him to back up this assertion.
vi_spex

Pro

justified true belief, is belief, any belief is false

scientific facts are god claims, as i can at best believe in them

fact=truth=knowledge=Memory
Discipulus_Didicit

Con

If you say that any justified true belief is false then you are incorrect. I acknowledge justified true belief is imperfect, but in any Gettier problem you can imagine you still must face the fact that one of the requirements is that the belief be true, and true cannot be false.

Science provides a method for determining truth using the only starting point we know we can trust-our own observations
vi_spex

Pro

belief is false, imaginary

im not claiming that what you can believe cant be true, im claiming whatever you believe is false, imaginary

any justified belief goes to a claim i have to imagine, imagination is false

belief=be lie, as i dont know is true

1 extended question that destroy science unarguably:
science cant prove aliens are not true based on lack of evidence, so does that mean that aliens are true or false to a science believer? and based on what?

i can get scientific information from books, tv online, and call them facts, so accepting science is allowing my self to be programmed, while my experience of now is real, true
Discipulus_Didicit

Con

If you see a bowl of fruit on a table in front of you, it is justified to believe that there is a bowl of fruit on a table in front of you. You don't have to imagine anything.

To answer your extended question:
I do not know if aliens are real or not, based on not having any evidence either way.

Science is based on observation. Observation is your experience of now, which you seem to be in favor of.
vi_spex

Pro

i dont have to imagine the bowl of food, its not a religious claim for me to claim its there unless im talking about the bowl of fruit on my table right now

is reality true?

your past observation is my fairy tale to believe
Discipulus_Didicit

Con

The bowl of foods existance is a justified true belief. It is justified in this case by you seeing it.

Reality is real.
vi_spex

Pro

belief=be lie, as i dont know is true

reality is true, you reading these words is happening not can happen

how can you use the statement i dont know if you dont know anything in the first place?

how do you know if a coffe cup is to hot to grab?

there is no true or honest point to make beyond personal experience
Discipulus_Didicit

Con

I never said I don't know anything. I said I don't know if aliens are real.

I contend that you, vi_spex, use assumptions in your everyday life based on your past experiences.

Using your coffee cup example, how do you know that anything is hot? How do you know excessive heat causes pain? Because you have experienced heat in the past.

How do you know that when you press certain buttons on your keyboard letters will appear on the screen? You base this on having pressed buttons before and having that as a result.

If someone who had never seen a computer before was given a computer without being taught how to use it they would not know to press buttons to make letters appear on the screen. What difference is there between you and them that would make you know how to use a keyboard, other than your past experience?

If you do not trust your past experience to determine the most likely future results of your present actions then you will not type a response to this debate because you don't really know that typing will produce a message which then appears on my screen.

Therefore if you say anything in round 5, you are admitting you are wrong.
vi_spex

Pro

how do you contrast i dont know, what is the contrast for you to have that position

what are you most certain of right now, what your neighbour is doing, or that you are reading these words?

i have memory of heat and cold, its also absolute

fact=memory

truth is certain, belief is doubt, i have no doubt about it if im telling a lie
Posted by Discipulus_Didicit 2 years ago
Discipulus_Didicit
I swear I wasn't drunk when I made this debate.

But, I am also lying about being sober.

Unfortunately I am not lying about lying.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
cant become true*
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
i can get scientific information from books, tv online, and call them facts, so accepting scientific information is allowing my self to be programmed, while my experience of now is real, true*
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
i judge you shall at no point be succesfull in countering my position, and i blink to the watchers of this case becasue i think they see
Discipulus_Didicit
I suspect this shall be a tie like our last one, for much the same reasons as the last one. We shall see.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
coal=bad present from santa
santa=god
Posted by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
Wait, what
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
you know
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
ok alright, you might try to catch me on it or something
Discipulus_Didicit
I understand you did not mean it literally if that is what you mean.