Discontinuation of the Penny and Nickel

Started: 4/28/2016 Category: Economics

The rules are very simple. I expect a pleasant, semi-formal debate. Please consider these rules if you plan to accept this debate:
  • Participants of all ages and experience are welcome to accept this debate. However, I expect my opponent to behave and take this partially serious. I want us to have fun and have a factual debate.
  • No vulgar language and or personal attacks. I don't expect this to be an issue but I feel I should mention this.
  • The first round is to be for acceptance only.

These three rules should be followed or defeat will be considered by default. They're not very difficult and I expect you to follow them.

BE IT RESOLVED: that the penny and the nickel be eliminated from production in the US Mint.

Good luck to my opponent (whomever you may be) and I look forward to this debate!

I'll have you know that Penny is a valuable asset in The Big Bang Theory.

She counterbalances the rather asocial remainder of the cast, playing as comedic fodder for her relative scientific ignorance, and for keeping Shelden in check. ("*knock knock* Penny (x3)")

I don't know who Nickel is, is she a new character or something?

They really must be running out of ideas.

thebestdebate forfeited this round.

Third time this has happened!

I must be too good at this.

Hello GMZ3R00 and thank you for accepting this debate. I ask that you keep this debate partially serious. I don’t mind having some fun but we should be a bit more serious. I also must apologize for forfeiting round two. I had meant to post my argument but time hadn’t allowed. However, I digress…

As for the penny and nickel: be it resolved that both the penny and the nickel be eliminated from the production of coins by the US Mint. To begin, let’s make sure we understand some background information. The penny has been fluctuating in price for the past several years. Pennies are made of both copper and zinc, and these metals have both become rather pricey in the past several years. Currently, the price to produce one penny is roughly 1.7¢ [1]. This alone should cause you to vote in the affirmation of this resolution. The penny is literally worth less than we pay for. Also, over 13,000,000,000 pennies each year [2]. Let’s do some math now. To find the total amount of dollars spent on producing pennies we will take the cost of producing a penny and multiply it by the amount of pennies produced in a year. When we do this, we discern a monetary total of $221,000,000. Now if we subtract the spending value of all these pennies from our production cost, we lose a total of $91,000,000. This wouldn’t be a problem if less money was spent producing the penny than it is worth. Lastly, the US Mint is a government run organization. All of the funding it receives to produce these coins comes directly from taxpayer pockets. We cannot allow any more tax dollars to be needlessly wasted like this, especially if it is such a large number as $91,000,000.

The second half of the proposed resolution is to discontinue the nickel. Allow me to explain why we need to do this. As you should remember, there is a massive inequality between the production cost and face value of the penny. Guess what! The nickel is the exact same way. The production cost for a single nickel is 11.2¢ [3]. This is an even greater inequality that the penny, seeing as it is more than twice as expensive to produce than it is a face value. There are roughly 4,300,000,000 nickels produced in a year [3]. Doing the same math as before, we find that we are losing a total of $266,600,000. Combining this with the deficit created by the penny inequality, we find that we are losing $357,600,000 annually. We cannot allow this. Any product that wastes any amount of tax dollars should be cut out of production. It’s very simple.

It should seem obvious that there is only one logical choice in this debate; to discontinue the penny and the nickel from the US Mint’s production of coins. We would save millions of dollars by deciding on this resolution. Considering all these things, I must urge a vote to Pro.

Works Cited

1) "Cost to Make the Penny: Chart/Graph." Copper Pennies. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 May 2016. <;.

2) Zielinski, Michael. "Cost to Make Penny and Nickel Declines But Still Double Face Value." Coin Update. N.p., 12 Dec. 2012. Web. 04 May 2016. <;.

3) Isidor, Chris. "Obama Wants Cheaper Pennies and Nickels." CNNMoney. Cable News Network, 15 Feb. 2012. Web. 03 May 2016. <;.

As this final round completes and voting begins I must ask all of those viewing to please vote Pro. My opponent has not addressed any of my points and continues to talk about the show "The Big Bang Theory." Con has not taken this debate seriously for a moment of this debate. Although I had accidentally forfeited a turn, my argument remains unchallenged. Please take a moment to realize that I had also provided sources. I ask the voters to vote Pro.

Thank you

Pro is deceiving you, if you're smart then Vote Con!
Posted by lyokowarri0r 6 months ago
Oh this is great
Vote Placed by princearchitect 5 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins this debate easily, even though if it was possible, I would have deducted some points for him forfeiting a round, he still wins because Con offered nothing in the debate.