Diseases are caused by sin.

I know almost nothing of religion so please go easy on me. I found an interesting wiki I don't really understand but would love some input.

"For example, in a 1772 sermon entitled "The Dangerous and Sinful Practice of Inoculation", the English theologian Reverend Edmund Massey argued that diseases are sent by God to punish sin and that any attempt to prevent smallpox via inoculation is a "diabolical operation".[10"

I Con will attempt to argue that disease is not caused by sin.

Pro will argue that disease is caused by sin.

Thanks in advance.

Stick to religion no science allowed that includes anything related to the scientific method. This includes Louis Pasteur's germ theory and Darwin's theory of evolution. Remember these are scienfic theories and cannot be used in this debate.

I would say that not all diseases are sent to punish sin, but some are. The ten plagues aren't really diseases, but according to the bible they were sent to free the slaves in Egypt. I found a site that quoted this from the bible. "But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram"s wife Sarai." Genesis 12:17. These diseases had been sent because of the Pharaohs sins. Another quote from the bible said this: "He said, "If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you." Exodus 15:26. God does heal you, but as this says, when you do sin like the Pharaoh did, you may get a disease. God does not always create diseases because of sin, sometimes he creates them just to put us through trials, and to strengthen us, but sometimes he does put us through them because of sins.

Good response. Hmmm, but what about ignorance?

"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." (Hosea 4:6)

There's an entire book called Why Christians get Sick. Having to do with breaking God's natural laws as opposed to spiritual laws.

That same book says " in reality the cause of that sickness might be the violation of some natural laws of God?" Plus, the question isn't about Christians getting sick, it's about diseases being caused by sin. This book is close to that topic, but it it doesn't talk a lot about diseases, just people getting sick. And, if you do consider that close enough to the topic, then John 5:8 says "Sin produces sickness, pain, and degeneracy.".Romans 5:12 also says this "Sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" Both of these bible quotes say almost the opposite of what you said, and are just as close to the debating topic as what you said.

"If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you." Exodus 15:26.

Yes, but there is very spiritual Christians getting sick. A friend of the family a nun, died of cancer. I don't think it was because of any unconfessed sin. There is also many examples of very faithful followers becoming sick with terrible diseases that modern science has labeled heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Yet, if we exclude science there must be a religious reason for these diseases.

Corinthians 6:19-20: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

1 Corinthians 3:17 "16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. 18Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise."

Genesis 6:3 "His days shall be an hundred and twenty years" (Gen. 6:3)

I conclude that disease is not caused by sin as long as one if faithful. Instead disease is caused by failure to honor God with our bodies. Thanks for reading.

jimmmy forfeited this round.
Posted by JT5000killer 12 months ago
this is so fucklng retarded its not even funny
Posted by BennyW 12 months ago
This looks like fun. I don't think it is necessarily saying they are mutually exclusive but he want's to only dress one aspect of it.
Posted by Machrineith 12 months ago
You imply that science and religion are mutually exclusive and thus remove core debate elements. You really can't have a more supported argument on either side with a 'he-said she-said' foundation.