Yakaspat
dominasian

Disney is not wholesome entertainment for children

dominasian

Yakaspat

Pro

I believe that Disney is not wholesome entertainment for children for the following reasons:
1. Many of the Disney films teach male dominance and racism throughout most of their films. Have you ever noticed how the woman always being saved in most Disney films, or, especially in the classic movies, there's almost never a mother of the main character? Or how the mother usually dies in the beginning of the film? Ex. Bambi.
And about the racism, have you ever noticed how in the classic films, there is seldom a black man or woman in the film? If there is a minority in the film, such as the Hispanic dog in "Lady and the Tramp" is very mischievous and trouble causing? Or how the Siamese cats are probably some of the worst Asian stereotypes in any kid's movie?
2. Subliminal Messages. Yes, we all heard of subliminal messages in the Disney classic movies, but have you really ever thought about the possibility of them being true? For example, in the Hunchback of Notre Dame, there is a scene where one of the main characters in the story, is dancing. She is wearing a loose dress. And while she is dancing, there is a frame where her dress becomes almost like spandex. There are more films that are choc-full of subliminal messages, but for now, I'll just show you a video on Notre Dame.

I await my opponent's rebuttal.
dominasian

Con

Wholesome is defined by dictionary.com as "conducive to moral or general well-being; salutary; beneficial."
I will now move on to address my opponents arguments
Disney teaches male dominance-Having a male hero most of the time is not the same as male dominance. It just shows that men can be heroes. In no way does Disney ever say women cant be heroes, in fact it has movies where they are such as pocahontas or look to atlantis where the lead character is a weak male who is often pushed around by his much stronger female mechanic. Because dinsey in no way says that women are weak or cant be heroes, the assertion that Disney promotes male dominance is untrue. I have no clue how having the mother die at the beginning of some movies is a sign of male dominance, in fact it seems just an example of how people can persevere through troubles and serves as an inspiration to young children to persevere.
Disney teaches racism-Not having black people in movies is not racist. Having a person of a particular race doing something bad is not racist either if it is not always like that. They had the non accented therefore presumably white dog be a tramp is that racist? Disney has time and again had white people be villains is that racist? No because white people are not always villains, and same with Hispanics. Besides casting multiple Hispanic actors on their tv shows (esteban in suite life of zack and cody, demi lovato, selina Gomez) Disney also has a hispanic awareness week. At the point of time where Disney hires actors of all different races for their tv shows, does not only portray certain races in certain ways, and in fact celebrates different cultures with things such as Hispanic awareness week and the recognition of accomplishments of African Americans during black history month, they are not racist but rather celebrators of race and thus wholesome.
Disney is sexual-how is that immoral or not good for wellbeing?
Yakaspat

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my debate.

About the Male Dominance, have you ever noticed that the man is usually saving the woman? (Ex. Tarzan and every Disney movie with a princess.) The woman is usually portrayed as a defenseless and weak until the man can save her. There are few movies where the woman is the hero, and in one of them, Mulan, the woman has to pretend to be a man to be the hero. And on the subject of racism in the movies... When do you ever see a black man or woman in the classic films? In Tarzan, a film that is set in Africa, there a no black people, with only chimps and monkeys to take the black people's place. What is that? No Africans in Africa?

I would also like to point out how my opponent did not mention subliminal messages in his rebuttal. He only said "Disney is sexual-how is that immoral or not good for wellbeing?". I'm sorry, I wouldn't want my children to be watching films riddled with subliminal messages telling them "Sex" and "love" repeatedly with sexy dancers thrown in too.
dominasian

Con

Again about the male dominance, having a woman needing saving is not showing that only men can dominate because other movies send other messages. You rejected the example of mulan because she pretends to be a man but that is the key reason it is not about male dominance. She needed to be a man because the soldiers were sexist and would not let women join, in fact when they discovered she was a woman they kicked her out. IN the end when she saved the entire city, they learned that women are just as capable if not more so than men showing that male dominance is indeed wrong. Not only that look to other movies with female leads, the little mermaid or pocahantas. Both show that women can beat the bad guy when no man could.

About the racism, my opponent ignores my responses about how disney has been recognizing race which is one of the key things that makes disney wholesome. Moving past that, my opponent then offers then offers another example of "racism". Not having black people in the jungle is not racist, in fact assuming that the african jungle has to be filled with black people is somewhat closer to actually being racist. The movie is about a boy who lives in an uninhabited jungle who is raised by apes. If there were people in the jungle he wouldnt have been raised by apes thus the story itself clarifies why there arent black people.

now to build my own case
disney is wholesome because
-it celebrates race(black history recognition, hispanic awarenss) and attacks racism(pocahantas)
-associates bad qualities with villians that way kids wont have them
---murder(scar, the guy in mulan), greed(jafar), hatred(townspeople in beauty and the beast), rape(the guy in his huncheback of notredame clip)
-it demonstrates good qualities with heroes
---perseverance(the fox and the hound, bambi), stand up for what you believe in(mulan, lion king, little mermaid, fox and the hound), dont judge people because of how they look(the fox and the hound, hunchback of notredam)
Yakaspat

Pro

Well, I think we both have some pretty good points here, so I'll just have to wait for the voting period to see who wins. Thanks for the debate. :)
dominasian

Con

sounds good to me, thanks for the debate
Posted by heart_of_the_matter 5 years ago
heart_of_the_matter
Yakaspat,
thank you for sharing those ideas, I actually appreciate it. I think your resolution was just perhaps a bit too ambitious to prove...if you could have tried to prove something a little easier I think you would have had an easier time...I had no idea there were secret hand signs in some of the movies...I had heard a bit about the Little Mermaid...something about the picture on the cover or something...but I had thought it was from a disgruntled worker trying to get back at Disney or something...(?) anyway. I didn't vote so no RFD (for now at least...). thank you both for the interesting debate.
Posted by Yakaspat 5 years ago
Yakaspat
I think I should have started this debate with more info.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
I hope Pro was kidding. I hope Con learns spelling and grammar.
Posted by Lifeisgood 5 years ago
Lifeisgood
What about on aladdin when he says "take of your clothes!"? or the Little Mermaid when the priest dude has a boner?"

I don't remember that scene in Aladdin. And what are you talking about on the Little Mermaid thing?

I wasn't really sure how to vote on this one, so I didn't. Personally, I think almost all recent Disney movies are less-than-wholesome, though not for the exact reasons Pro gave.
Posted by Chuckles 5 years ago
Chuckles
What about on aladdin when he says "take of your clothes!"? or the Little Mermaid when the priest dude has a boner?
Posted by feverish 5 years ago
feverish
The reason there aren't black people in The Jungle Book is because it is set in India not Africa.

Mowgli is not white, look closer.
Posted by ournamestoolong 5 years ago
ournamestoolong
RFD

B/A Debate: Con, Subliminal messaging is BS

Conduct: Con, PRO basically forfeited the last round

S/G: Pro, Though there were barely any mistakes that I could see, Pro had a better grasp of the English language

Arguments: Con, Con refuted all of PRO'S points while CON ignored many of PRO'S. I also believe that Though CON Refuted PRO'S main two points, he probably should've focused more on the third (i.e. mentioning that subliminalmessaging is BS)

Sources: TIE, no reliable sources
Posted by Alex 5 years ago
Alex
Hey i vote fairly, im just giving input. You still have a case to be able to win.
Posted by Yakaspat 5 years ago
Yakaspat
Hmmm, I think I know who's going to win this already by the way the comments are going. :)
Posted by Alex 5 years ago
Alex
"Mulan"

Is also a disney movie where a girl kicks butt
Vote Placed by Artifice 5 years ago
Artifice
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by Nova 5 years ago
Nova
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by 18freckles 5 years ago
18freckles
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 5 years ago
KRFournier
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by Yakaspat 5 years ago
Yakaspat
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by dominasian 5 years ago
dominasian
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by ournamestoolong 5 years ago
ournamestoolong
YakaspatdominasianTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 5 years ago
Cody_Franklin
YakaspatdominasianTied