abbasmaheryar
RC-9282

Disney making star wars old canon legends

abbasmaheryar

Con

Why did Disney have to basically make most of canon work into complete legends? Of course George Lucas said it was not COMPLETLY canon, it was an expanded universe which still had some impact. But now, we can not really come up with new ideas to expand to the wonderful universe of Star Wars. We also cannot make new speculations of upcoming movies into comics.
RC-9282

Pro

To be honest I just wanted to have a conversation, if my profile picture doesn't give too much away. Id have to say I am both disappointed and excited for what Disney can do. Unfortunately more of the former. I think its universal that the prequels were terrible, save maybe revenge of the sith, and the best canon aspect was perhaps the animated series, which Disney so informally terminated, much to my dismay. I was not impressed with the force awakens (Phasma was left out), and rouge one was mediocre at best. But I also prefer some aspects of the new canon too. Primarily the introduction of the inhibitor chip in place of the brainwashing in the case of the clones. I was relieved that the clone commandos were kept as canon, and I am interested to see if Disney will expand into the prequels.
abbasmaheryar

Con

Well, this is my first debate, and I also just want to have a conversation as well. I see your reasoning here, I agree about your thoughts on how they basically shut down the Clone Wars. So this info feeds into my point, if you say that Disney is going to expand in the prequels, personally, I highly doubt that. If you see, they are already making Rebels season 3, and just recently Rogue One. You could kind of see how they are focusing in the originals now. But at the same time, I still feel they are shutting down a lot in the originals era. First of all, The Force Unleashed. The whole game made sense. For example, Count Dooku had a secret future apprentice. So I don't see why Dart Vader can't. Second of all the expanded universe really fills lots of wholes back then. There were so many characters we could connect to, and see how they could of done some unexplained things in the canon. So hopefully you could understand my reasoning here. I agree with your statements about the old canon and what Disney did. Thank you so much for accepting this.
RC-9282

Pro

I have mixed feelings about rebels. While I like how it cleans up the clone wars and draws connections, it also brought back a character I was already shocked to see leave the saga in such a anti climactic way, and had her leave again with a massive amount of questions. I like seeing this expansion into the post clone wars galaxy, but I have my objections. Namely the fact that they have discarded perfectly good lore in favor of catering to a more child friendly agenda. (BTW did you know commander Cody was killed in the attack on Kamino during the force awakens?). Rouge one left a sour taste in my mouth. While it was really cool visually, there were too many characters not elaborated on and just killed off. It needed to be expanded into by another movie or novels. Again, there was also another character in legends responsible for the death star plans, Kyle Katarn. To see Disney throw away the neatly crafted legends is dismaying...
abbasmaheryar

Con

At this point I think you are also saying some cons about Disney now. I'll just elaborate more on my main points. Like I said, and what George Lucas said, Star Wars EU was made solely to allow fans to create their ideas and share it to the public. It answered a lot of questions that were not answered in the movies. I really feel that Disney should not have done this because a lot of people love to add their ideas to the wonderful Star Wars. I really wish that Disney could create something exactly like the expanded universe, but for now, I don't really see it coming...
RC-9282

Pro

Ah, I see that I came in under the wrong pretense. I suppose I am to defend Disney. It would have helped to make the prompt a bit easier to understand.

When it came down to it, star wars as far as legends stayed pretty true to the star wars theme, besides the yhuzan vong, which were criticised as too far outside the realm. Legends was also heavily fragmented and many of the stories failed to fit into one another. Disney has done a decent job at trying to fill in the gaps, both with using rebels and rouge one. And they have gone to added lengths to throw in cool side material for fans, in particular my favorite: Thrawn. They also gave a shout out to the YT freighter that was flown by a character similar to Han Solo.

Besides this, Disney has only recently picked up the mantle. Judging them now is little too harsh.
Posted by RC-9282 1 year ago
RC-9282
I also wanted to thank you for this. While I wouldn't really call it a debate, and I agree 100% with what you were saying, I gave it a shot and it was a vacation of sorts from other heftier topics
Posted by RC-9282 1 year ago
RC-9282
I meant force unleashed in the Cody bit. And to your point, no, you are right, there is likely to be little expansion into the prequels.