Justaga
iholland95

Dissection Is Wrong

Justaga

Justaga

Con

I am arguing that dissection of animals is wrong in every situation. I would love to discuss and debate this topic with someone and go into further detail when this debate is accepted!
iholland95

Pro

I accept this debate
Justaga

Con

Before I start I just want to say good luck to my opponent. I believe dissection of an animal is wrong in almost every way because their are many other humane options. The only time I believe dissection on real animals is O.K. is if the animals are road kill, but their is obviously not enough roadkill of the same species for that. So to me every time you dissect an animal, it is wrong. Dissection is inhumane to the animal because their are three main ways they get the animal. They buy pets and strays from the pound, the buy from animal mills, and the buy from filthy faculties that raise these animals even worse then pet mill, where these animals are raised just for dissection. Their are many other alternation human ways to dissect. If you search online you can find great quality and even free dissection programs. An example of one my school lets some of us use is ScienceWorks which feature frogs, cats, rats, and ect. Another reason dissection is not the answer is that it cost more money. The price of one ScienceWorks is $200 which can be downloaded over and over again for years. While the average cost of one cat for dissection is $36.65. So you could buy one ScienceWorks for $200 that should work for about 10 years instead say you have 40 kids in a class and each two get one cat, instead of spending $7,330 in ten years!! that is just cats. The average dissections you do a year throughout your whole middle and high school is 2 1/2. Another thing is dissection involves some sharp tools where people can make mistakes or be foolish. So that is my debate on why dissection is the expensive, inhumane, messy, and unnecessary way instead of technological options which are cheap, clean, and very humane.
iholland95

Pro

"From an educational perspective, there"s almost no downside to dissection. The only downside would be if someone has a personal objection to it," Mr. Patrick Lindsey, AP Biology teacher, said.

TAKEN FROM: http://milkenroar.com...

"There are other alternatives available for students, such as online virtual dissections, where an animal doesn"t have to die over and over again and one can still study the parts of its body. Some students find these alternatives positive and effective substitutes" (from the same site as above).

"Although opponents of animal dissection point out the cruelty to animals, I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives. Studies point out the fact that students retain 90% of what they physically perform and only 10% of what they see and hear." TAKEN FROM THE FOLLOWING SITE: http://humanbiologylab.pbworks.com...

(Video)
Justaga

Con

Well, it is O.k. to have opinions. Also, their is a downside because the school is using more money then they need too.

Confused why you posted this part??

"Although opponents of animal dissection point out the cruelty to animals, I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives. Studies point out the fact that students retain 90% of what they physically perform and only 10% of what they see and hear."

Yes, although that may be true, but I and many other people who prefer not to dissect are willing to do more because we care for the animals.

So overall your points are fairly true, we are willing to learn more to save animals lives and the school should enjoy this because then we are saving them money!

Your response!!
iholland95

Pro

iholland95 forfeited this round.
Justaga

Con

Having computer problems, but since this is short I can type. Please extend the above! :( :)
iholland95

Pro

iholland95 forfeited this round.
Justaga

Con

Justaga forfeited this round.
iholland95

Pro

iholland95 forfeited this round.
Posted by Justaga 4 years ago
Justaga
Depends
Posted by iholland95 4 years ago
iholland95
I accept this debate
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
Even if the animal is already dead?
Vote Placed by Muted 4 years ago
Muted
Justagaiholland95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: More FF on Pro's part