Warren2020
Yes-JustAHighSchooler

Dissolving Native American Reservations

Warren2020 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 days ago Status: Debating Period

Warren2020

Pro

As a person from South Dakota, I can only speak about reservations in South Dakota. I've been to multiple including but not limited to Eagle Butte and Pine Ridge. These places are not doing well, and as I write it think, my view of the land these people live on is probably different then what the people living there think. To me I could see better conditions for the people on this if they were just fully apart of South Dakota. The reservations are drug and crime-filled and packs of feral dogs have been know to just kill unattended children. Gangs are also a prevalent issue. My point here is we need to look at the betterment of the citizens, and if we could make agreements could dissolving Native American reservations (at least in South Dakota) work?
Yes-JustAHighSchooler

Con

Hello! I was bored, and your topic interested me. Please check out my debates too!
Anyways, I can see where you are coming from, in fact, I have watched multiple videos that have showed me what happens in these reservations. I also really like the whole 'betterment of citizens' thing as I also agree with that. My mentality is different than yours though. I look at efficiency, costs, national opinion and specified group opinion (I do not mean to imply that you do not look at any of them, I'm just saying those are my bases and my fundamentals when looking at situations or establishing viewpoints). What is more efficient and cost effective? Dissolving and merging the reservations into the state, or leaving things (temporarily) as they are. With each political action taken, there is a cost to it. Just as how it costs money to revise laws, it will cost money to take such political actions such as dissolving and merging reservations. What about National Opinion? Or state opinion? I really love your view because I see the legitimate concern and value in your words, but maybe some people who are in your state do not want to dissolve the reservations and indirectly welcome the bad things that happen in the reservations into their neighborhoods or living spaces. Maybe people who are not in the reservations that know what happens in the reservations do not want those events spreading. And group opinion. Until an action can be taken, we must have a direct statement from the specified group saying that they WANT things to change. In this case, we are talking about the Native Americans that live in these reservations, until then we cannot take any action. Even if they were to say, 'Hey! We want change!' You, again, have to take into account National and State opinion. Furthermore, it could even be that the people in the reservations do not want the reservations dissolved, but rather they might want several regulations and/or increased law enforcement. Again, I appreciate your stance/view, I agree with a lot of the things you said, but your plan of action is something that I do not fully agree on.
Can't wait to hear back and be enlightened!

-Lemmuel Gadiano
Warren2020

Pro

While I don't have exact evidence on the finical cost of a dissolving all of the reservations, I know that, if on federal land we could put our own police force in the land. The police force on these reservations are poor or have no police force at all. This has allowed drugs and crime to run ramped. We could also provide better infrastructure for the land, which would cost money, but in the end make more. We could put better and larger housing and more businesses. For the national and local opinion the Pew Research Center center says "57% of Americans say they would support an integration of Native American land."
Yes-JustAHighSchooler

Con

Contender,"... we could put our own police force in the land. The police force on these reservations are poor or have no police force at all. This has allowed drugs and crime to run ramped. We could also provide better infrastructure for the land, which would cost money, but in the end make more. We could put better and larger housing and more businesses." I bring this part of your argument up because you have just stated several beneficial actions that could be taken to improve the situation that do not require dissolving the reservations. The reservations are technically on U.S. lands, so placing in our own police force is a viable option that does not violate anything. As for the infrastructure, housing and businesses, all three could be done or given as complimentary gifts, acts of kindness, and without the requirement of dissolving the lands. I would like to hear direct benefits of dissolving the reservations though, because all of the solutions you provided are not benefits of dissolving the reservations, rather they are their own respective solutions.