GodChoosesLife
Adam2

Distrusting people is the best option above all!

Adam2

GodChoosesLife

Pro

Round 1 acceptance, round 2-3 arguments and rebuttals, round 4 conclusion.
No profanity, no vulgarity, no disrespecting. Be willing to understand the other persons stance and use it to best define your position.
Adam2

Con

I accept. Let me start this off with a question: why distrust others?
GodChoosesLife

Pro

Hello and thank you to my opponent for choosing to take on this debate. I will answer your question with how I will present my beginning argument concerning this topic.

Distrust: lack of trust or confidence: a feeling that someone or something is not being honest and cannot be trusted.

Dishonesty :
  • Promises are made to which end up being broken because someone does not want to be serious.
  • Secrets of personal information is shared and then someone goes and discusses it with someone else.
  • Lying about both of these too. Simply negating the fact that promises were broken and personal information was displayed elsewhere.

Cautiousness :
  • Awareness is the key to acknowledging who is real and who is not.
  • Trusting only leads to failure and pain.
  • Remaining quiet seems to be the best fit of not letting anyone in.
The point I am trying to make with these "points" of distrusting, is to simply say this; if a person/s is not willing to be honest, why bother trusting at all? I mean, there seems to be no logic behind that. It seems foolish to trust someone/s who you know in the end will only lead you to gruesome heartache. Sure, pain can be good for common grounds of learning and becoming wise, but under what circumstances? If my opponent can convince me to see that I am wrong, I will gladly concede to this resolution, but if not, then I will stand even stronger in what I believe here.

Best wishes to my opponent. Thank you again for accepting this debate.

Adam2

Con

Thank you, pro.
Now here are my rebuttals

Dishonesty :
All of these are about select people. Your statement is a generalization. It implies that people are bad.
Cautiousness :
    That is wrong. First of all, there's a line between cautiousness and distrust. Distrust is cynical and cynicism is unhealthy. It leds to misery. Cautiousness is being careful of certain people. We all have a gut instinct. And you cannot deny that you've had your instinct leading to plenty of good people, none of which you have regretted being with. So no they are not the same.
    Remaining quiet is not the same as cynicism. Having a quiet personality just means you know when to speak and when ot to speak. As Anderson in Mississippi Burning told Ward (forgive me for using a rather rude example), "You don't know when to shut up and that makes you a fool."
    Don't confuse having a quiet personality with being cynical. Cynicism really comes from greed a lot of the time.
  • The point I am trying to make with these "points" of distrusting, is to simply say this; if a person/s is not willing to be honest, why bother trusting at all?
    But you're talking about select people. There are plenty of good people. Trust your instincts and heart. Your instinct has warded off bad people, but it has also led you to plenty of good people (don't deny it).
  • I mean, there seems to be no logic behind that. It seems foolish to trust someone/s who you know in the end will only lead you to gruesome heartache. Sure, pain can be good for common grounds of learning and becoming wise, but under what circumstances? If my opponent can convince me to see that I am wrong, I will gladly concede to this resolution, but if not, then I will stand even stronger in what I believe here.
    Here's where you go wrong. It's only select people, not all.
In all, pro's statement is a generalization. There are good and bad people, not only bad.
GodChoosesLife

Pro

Thank you Con, for your last round.

I think, after rereading my opponents positions and rebutalls, I would say that yes, he is correct in most cases.
I just want to question why he presumes that distrust and dishonesty would not in some way relate with one another and why caution cannot be of a quiet spirit?

I may have to reconsider though, but I would like an explanation first. Thank you.

Best wishes!
Adam2

Con

Pro, caution doesn't necessarily mean a cynical spirit. Caution just means you are alert for danger. Your instinct is the best thing to have.

Best wishes!
GodChoosesLife

Pro

Having rethought this, I would say that my opponent has made good suggestions to which I have considered and will not take lightly.
So, my opponent did as I requested in asking him to prove to me otherwise so that I may concede. Well, it seems that I have come to realize that he may in fact, be correct. So with further thoughts, I will take my leave with saying I concede to my resolution.
Thank you Adam2 for your time and helping me see things better.

Vote who you perceive should win!
Adam2

Con

Thank you, pro.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
At this point id much like to stick with my resolution.
Posted by abyteofbrain 2 years ago
abyteofbrain
You can't trust anyone with anything.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
Still no @JMK
Posted by JohnMaynardKeynes 2 years ago
JohnMaynardKeynes
Oh, it was "feared" instead of hated. Oops.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
@JMK, "Is it not better to be FEARED than loved," The Red Queen from Alice In Wonderland.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
Funny, I was saying something similar in my mind the other day like that. Except more of as a Christian I should be hated not loved, no one hates me (except a few) which counters me being christian? Idk I was just thinking that...
Posted by JohnMaynardKeynes 2 years ago
JohnMaynardKeynes
Ahh Machiavelli. "It's better to be hated than to be loved."
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
Meaning?????
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
That old Machiavellian saying lol..........I see GCL has decided to become a totalitarian.
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
Well I appreciate your input, but this debate is not in the religion section, it's in the miscellaneous section. ;)

Kc1999, lol I get what your saying.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
GodChoosesLifeAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
GodChoosesLifeAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The concession sealed it, but generally the opening argument from Pro lacked a solid position on the topic. I need to know that distrusting people is a reasonable thing to do most of the time, which means I need to know that most people aren't worthy of trust. That simply wasn't established. Pro does a good job outlining where problems could be, but I need more than that in order to see her fulfill her burden within the debate. Still, all in all, a nice discussion of the issue.
Vote Placed by Raisor 2 years ago
Raisor
GodChoosesLifeAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con seems to have changed Pro's opinion. Nice dialogue.
Vote Placed by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Truth_seeker
GodChoosesLifeAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made some good points, but Con focused on the other side, the alternative and made a more convincing argument on why you should trust only the good people.