Truth_seeker
4God

Divorce is not a sin

Truth_seeker
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Truth_seeker

Pro

I will argue why divorce is not a biblical conflict, but should only be used for a last resort

First round acceptance
4God

Con

I accept. But I do agree that divorce is not a biblical conflict.
Truth_seeker

Pro

Deut. 24:1-4 clearly makes divorce permissible.

Most people quote Malachi 2:13-16 to say that divorce is wrong, but the context says otherwise:

Malachi 2:13-16

"13 And this is the second thing you do:
You cover the altar of the Lord with tears,
With weeping and crying;
So He does not regard the offering anymore,
Nor receive it with goodwill from your hands.
14 Yet you say, For what reason?
Because the Lord has been witness
Between you and the wife of your youth,
With whom you have dealt treacherously;
Yet she is your companion
And your wife by covenant.
15 But did He not make them one,
Having a remnant of the Spirit
And why one?
He seeks godly offspring.
Therefore take heed to your spirit And let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth

16 For the Lord God of Israel says That He hates divorce
For it covers ones garment with violence
Says the Lord of hosts.
Therefore take heed to your spirit,
That you do not deal treacherously

Sane in Hebrew is used in terms of not preferring a thing (God said "Jacob i loved, but Esau i hated", he was saying he'd prefer Jacob over Esau for the inheritance"). With that in mind, God prefers that people do not divorce. The Hebrew word here for divorce is shalach which means "to send away" and is quite different from kriythuwth in Duet. 24 which is the official cutting of the marriage bond. The reason God was against this because there wasn't an official cutting of the marriage bond according to his Law, but simply a sending away of the spouse.

1 Cor. 7:10-11

"10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife."

Paul clearly allows divorce and remarriage as permissible actions.
4God

Con

In Mark 10:1-9 it says, "Then He arose from there and came to the region of Judea by the other side of the Jordan. And multitudes gathered to Him again, and as He was accustomed, He taught them again.
2 The Pharisees came and asked Him, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?" testing Him.
3 And He answered and said to them, "What did Moses command you?"
4 They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce, and to dismiss her."
5 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Because of the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. 6 But from the beginning of the creation, God "made them male and female." 7 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 8 and the two shall become one flesh"; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
10 In the house His disciples also asked Him again about the same matter. 11 So He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 12 And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery."
In Matthew 19:1-10 it says the same thing.

Whatever situations the Bible possibly gives for divorce, that does not mean God wants a divorce to occur. Instead of asking "is ______ a grounds for divorce," the question should be "is _______ grounds for forgiveness, restoration, and/or counseling?"

Marriage is sacred to God. He never wanted divorce in the first place, except because of the hardness of our hearts, divorce happens.
Truth_seeker

Pro

Matt. 19:3-10

"3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason? Havent you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator "made them male and female," 5 and said, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh?" 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined [syzeugnymi] together, let no one separate [ch!3;riz!3;].

7 Why then", they asked, did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?

8 Jesus replied, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces [apoly!3;] his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

10 The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."

"apoly!3;" in Greek word which means to set free or separation. In other words, Jesus is saying that if you just lack the responsibility to officially end the marriage by the Law of Moses, your committing adultery. Jesus makes a distinction between that word and "Chorizo" meaning to depart. Based on the original intent of marriage between a man and woman, a man and woman ought not to depart from the long-life commitment, but according to the law of Moses, divorce is permissible under very grave circumstances and as a last resort. I think you would agree that if your spouse prevents you from totally serving the Lord, you would have to divorce right? (although that is very unlikely to happen)
4God

Con

The Bible gives two clear grounds for divorce: One, sexual immorality, Matthew 5:32; 19:9, and Two, abandonment by an unbeliever, 1 Corinthians 7:15. Even in these two situations, divorce is not required or even encouraged. The most that can be said is that sexual immorality and abandonment are grounds, an allowance, for divorce. Confession, forgiveness, reconciliation, and restoration are always the first steps. Divorce is rooted in self-righteousness and an unwillingness to forgive. Jesus addresses whether remarriage is adultery or not; but He never addresses the issue of divorce itself, because divorce is a sin.

Divorce is a sin for numerous reasons:

1. Because it is breaking marriage vows..."'til death do us part!" When someone says their wedding vows, they are making a lifetime commitment, a promise.
2. Because God said not to divorce! "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." Matthew 19:6
3. Because divorce is basically quitting.
4. Because divorce is unwillingness to forgive. "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times'." Matthew 18:21-22
God hates divorce! It is only because of sinful pride and selfishness that people end up divorced in the first place.

The woman is not to divorce because their spouse is an unbeliever.
1. "To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her." 1 Corinthians 7:12
2. "If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him."
1 Corinthians 7:13
Truth_seeker

Pro

I will now refute my opponent's claims

"1. Because it is breaking marriage vows..."'til death do us part!" When someone says their wedding vows, they are making a lifetime commitment, a promise."

No Scripture supports that as a biblical commandment, in fact Deut. 24 conflicts with that

I explained why this is talking about the ideal concept of marriage, but not that divorce is completely forbidden.

3." Because divorce is basically quitting."

If your not compatible, sometimes you have to quit.

4. Because divorce is unwillingness to forgive. "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times'."

The biblical laws regarding divorce do not imply that. You are supposed to forgive, but sometimes relationships are irreconcilable (Matt. 18:15-17

God hates divorce! It is only because of sinful pride and selfishness that people end up divorced in the first place."

We just saw from the original Hebrew that God does not hate divorce in the same way that he hates sin. He allows it to happen.

1 Cor. 7:12-16

"12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?"

This is speaking in the context of a married person who converted to Christ and now lives with a unbeliever. It does not completely forbid all divorce.

My opponent has failed to show how divorce is a sin in the Bible, thus i rest my conclusion: Divorce is not an abomination and should only be a last resort.
4God

Con

I believe you have actually changed my view on this topic. So I guess you have won this debate.
Posted by xenoc 2 years ago
xenoc
Nothing 4god posts actually directly states that divorce is a sin.
Posted by xenoc 2 years ago
xenoc
Even the bible doesn't necessarily call it a sin, it is discouraged with specific rules on how it is handled.
Posted by xenoc 2 years ago
xenoc
Sin isn't even a real thing in the first place... so I'd agree. Divorce is not an imaginary thing.
Posted by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
Your resolution and round 1 argument are a still disconnected.

The Bible consistently condemns divorce, but this does not make it a biblical conflict; rather, it is quite clear how the Bible says to handle divorce.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
Truth_seeker4GodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded. I'm awarding conduct because an honorable concession is exemplary conduct--Pro didn't do anything wrong, but Con's conduct is to be rewarded. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.