Divorce is the greatest evil

This debate is not about all those fake marriages that we read about in the public media. Fake marriages such as those between rich old, (almost dead) men and those young blonde gold diggers. Fake marriages like those between pro athletes like Tiger Woods who may well be just another sex addict and those nice girls that he shacks up with. These kind of marriages and these kind people don't count. This debate is about real marriages between a guy and a girl who fall in love and commit the rest of their lives to one-another. Real marriages that fall on hard times-

The Pro position, (mine) is that divorce is the greatest evil known to mankind. As always my main source is the Bible but Con is welcome to do whatever Con wants to do such as-

1 Cuss me out
2 Take up the challenge and then quit
3 Lie and cheat
4 Beat me up

In other words if Con wants to get a divorce during this debate I don't care. I am going to stick it out and fulfill my obligations, all of them even to my own detriment.

Opening argument:

"If any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also." (Jesus of Nazareth)

Getting married and divorcing is a process, there is no evil in this process. When two people fall in love and getting married, it's a ritual that signifies their love for each other, while divorce is the opposite of that. As for the greatest evil in mankind I personally would say it's murder, but that's irrelevant for now.

Let's take a look at a source for divorce rate.
From "Marriage and divorce are both common experiences. In Western cultures, more than 90 percent of people marry by age 50. Healthy marriages are good for couples" mental and physical health. They are also good for children; growing up in a happy home protects children from mental, physical, educational and social problems. However, about 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher." - Encyclopedia of Psychology

Will that make the 40~50% of the Americans evil? I'd like to say no. To take this a step further, a human being is blessed with choices, however many that would be. A marriage is not a dead end for love. If a man or woman falls in love and gets married with say a murderer but he/she found out that he/she's been lying to him/her and files for a divorce will that be considered evil? There was true love but also lies built into the marriage. And how about two people who truly loves each other but cannot get married? They are committed to living the rest of their lives together and love each other forever. What would that be classified as? How about the people who practices Polygamy, if one of the wives decide to get a divorce is that evil? She does love her husband and her husband loves her as well, just along with a couple other women.

Also if one looks at a case where the man and woman have different views on love but did not discover that difference initially when they decided to get married and later on they had no choice but to get a divorce due to the indifferences between them. Would that be considered as evil?

Now you're using the Bible as a source for your argument and stating divorce is the greatest evil I'd like to understand why exactly that is the case? The bible says many things and people all interpret them differently so that's why there are various religious branches. I'd like to understand the reasoning behind your statement please. Thank you.

"And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also." (Jeremiah 3:8)

Now I want you to know that these words of God written by Jeremiah are on top. And if we go a little deeper we will see that God's heart is surely broken. And that any suffering that any of us might have gone through or any suffering that any us are going through or will go through, He has already tasted of such suffering. God knows our pain even before it has been inflicted upon us.

"Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away." (Isaiah 50:1)

The actual fact of the matter is that Israel and Judah did it to themselves. God did not divorce Israel or Judah. It is the other-way-around. Israel and Judah did divorce God. And they both of them sold themselves.

"Plead with your mother, plead: for she is not my wife, neither am I her husband: let her therefore put away her whoredoms out of her sight, and her adulteries from between her breasts;" (Hosea 2:2)

We all know when the Northern Kingdom of Israel got a divorce from God. It was when the Northern Kingdom went into captivity. What we now want to know is exactly when the Kingdom of Judah got its divorce from God.

When did the Kingdom of Judah serve God with the Bill of Divorcement?
And what is the meaning of the Bill of Divorcement?

Ok.. to be honest I don't quite understand your argument about how divorce was evil. Israel committed adultery, which lead to the divorce and broke God's heart? That's what I'm getting out of this so far. But wouldn't those quotes be backing up adultery is evil instead of divorce is evil? Also maybe I'm missing something but how is this all tied to divorce is evil?... Please do keep in mind I'm not a Christian so I don't know too much about the bible, all this is foreign to me.

The answers to your question, "When did the Kingdom of Judah serve God with the Bill of Divorcement?" I seriously have no idea and how that is relevant to this argument.
"And what is the meaning of the Bill of Divorcement?" To file for a divorce obviously?....

So back to the divorce matter, whatever Israel and Judah did that led to a divorce that reason would be adultery and that doesn't apply to all cases of divorce. So in hinge sight what you should be stating as the topic of this debate is "Committing adultery is the greatest evil" and not "Divorce is the greatest evil".

Man > Woman
Father > Son
Here the greater-than sign only means that the Man came before the Woman, the Father came before the Son. Applying the greater-than sign to divorce we must first understand the order of events-

Marriage > Government
Where Marriage came before any other form of Government. If the greater-than sign holds true what the last equation means is that there can be no Government if there is no Marriage. So then Divorce is an attack against all Civilization, an attack against all Mankind.

Government does not decide what Marriage is. It is the other way around-

Marriage decides what Government is. No Marriage. No Government.

And if a nation is not Married to God then there can be no nation.

Your argument in this round in no way contributed to justifying your claim of "Divorce is the greatest evil." So I'm confused as to why this argument is posted. But for the sake of finishing the debate I'll continue for the heck of it.

Since you are using the bible as your source I'll accept your claim of Men coming before Women. However your claim of marriage results in government I'm have to disagree with that. You did not make your claim of what the definition of a marriage is and how it contributes to formulating a government.

I will use the definition of marriage as defined by the Oxford Dictionary.

1The legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship:"

Marriage is a concept generated by human beings. Because the legal union of two people do indeed require verification by authority to be effective and in nature there exists no such term as marriage to begin with, acts of mating, reproducing, and raising younglings do not equal to marriage. The key term here is Legal Union.

Now the definition of Government from the Oxford Dictionary:

1 [TREATED AS SINGULAR OR PLURAL] The group of people with the authority to govern a country or state; a particular ministry in office:"

Applying the definition of marriage from above we can clearly see that marriage requires authority to complete the process. Having a form of authority would mean there is government. This will invalidate Pro's claim of Marriage > Government, as by logical deduction if marriage requires authority to complete then authority should come first.

Additionally there is no logical connection in Pro's argument of:

"Government does not decide what Marriage is. It is the other way around-

And if a nation is not Married to God then there can be no nation."

Why is it that if a nation is not married to God then there can be no nation? How does this phrase connect with Pro's argument in this round?

As the Con I accepted the challenge with the fact that Pro is using the bible as a valid source, however Pro did not succeed in making a convincing argument. No convincing evidences were provided, no effective reasoning were made, and no logical deductions were to be observed.
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
Pivot has an uphill task. Divorce may have its downsides, but it has its benefits as well. The hard part is labelling it the "greatest evil". I've never quite seen it put that way before.
Posted by Logic-Trumps-Delusion 2 years ago
Divorce vastly improved my life, and I imagine the life of my ex. How on earth would forcing two people to stay in an unhappy marriage be the better option? Now I'm in a relationship that has actual love and happiness as the basis for it - don't you think allowing people to acknowledge and accept their mistake and move on to better relationships is the right thing to do? No, that's "the greatest evil". What a crock.
Posted by pivot 2 years ago
Thanks Con for accepting the debate and good luck.
Posted by 3177318 2 years ago
Oh yeah~ seriously. Hahahah
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Vote Placed by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not uphold BoP and made some stilted and badly-supported arguments. Con swatted this debate away easily. Giving examples of and alternative evil was helpful, but I would loved to have seen Con talk about child abuse, rape, etc, which are obviously and demonstrably more degenerative to society than divorce. If no one ever got married and people just lived with their partners without a ceremony, things would be basically the same as they are now.
Vote Placed by Sojourner 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't find Pro's arguments coheisive or convincing. Con provided the alternative of murder as the greatest evil which Pro didn't touch.