DrAwkward
tennistanner

Do Aliens Exist?

DrAwkward

DrAwkward

Pro

I believe aliens exist for several reasons. If you look into the sky, and see too many stars to count, think. All those stars are in galaxies. All those galaxies have planets. That all adds up to hundreds or thousands of planets. If even one of those have conditions able to live in, there's a species on a different planet, making them an alien race. There are also thousands of claims that people have seen aliens. Most of these, I know, are attention seekers coming up with stories. But there are some which could be true. One in particular keeps popping up. I myself have fallen victim to this particular tale. People all over the world claim to have the same dream. They will wake up, unable to move, with a figure looming over them. The figure stays there, while they try to kick and yell, but can't. Eventually, the figure leaves. They are immobile for a few more minutes, and then they can move. They look at where ever the figure was leaning over, to find small cuts, hardened beneath the scab. The figure is reported to have an enlarged forehead, like he was wearing a turban. More than one person, from opposite ends of the world have had this dream. There is just too much evidence to support their existence to be ignored.
tennistanner

Con

According to the Holy Bible, God created man in his image. Since I am an advocate of Christianity, my opinion might be somewhat biased. However, this does not refute the fact that neither the Bible, Koran, or Torah ever refer to there being life other than on our own planet. In fact, what concrete evidence is there that proves the existence of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe? None. We don't have any spaceships. We don't have any alien autopsy tapes or alien corpses for that matter. We have nothing but the knowledge of a human race existing and those species that God placed on this earth and later evolved from. Furthermore, if there were aliens in existence, why haven't they tried to make contact with us? We've supposedly been trying to contact an extraterrestrial race for years with no luck. The evidence just doesn't stack up. Also, the point about being frozen in your sleep is a naturally common occurrence in many teens called sleep paralysis, where the mind has somewhat woken up from its subconscious state but the body has yet to. I know this because I experience this commonly as well. The figures some people claim to see are rather projections of the brain exiting the dream state it's in. It's like a prepubescent kind of lucid dreaming in a sense. There will always be conspirators who claim the government hides these things from us, and it's true that the U.S. government hides many things from its citizens. However, the discovery of extraterrestrial life is too big of an event to hide from the people of America compared to something like the man on the grassy knoll. Therefore, aliens don't exist and are rather a stunt elaborated by Hollywood in order to make an entertaining film.
DrAwkward

Pro

Your argument consists greatly of religion. What if the bible, and other holy books, are mistaking alien technology for miracles? I myself am Agnostic, but have looked into many religions. It is possible that the saints were in fact aliens, and our human minds merely saw it as magic? The bible could be a remake of a remake of a remake of a misimterpretation of the real event.
And as for the government not being able to hide aliens, that isn't true. I love to look at government conspiracies of the past,a and some of the things they hide are astounding. They are capable of turning a huge celebrity into a spy without even her knowing it's happening. Aliens would be easy to hide.
And then there's the possibility of us being the aliens. Most animals on Earth are immune to 94% of the diseases on earth, while humans are susceptible to 97.4% of earth's diseases. That could suggest we weren't made for this planet because we didn't originate here. We could have come here at the dawn of man kind, and now convinced ourselves we belong here.
tennistanner

Con

Once again, you have no proof of aliens existing. I cite religion as an important factor in this round because the majority of the world's population follows a system of beliefs. I don't believe this is just a coincidence. I also don't believe it to be a coincidence that all the books of the Bible match up perfectly with one another with some of the authors not even ever meeting. Magic, therefore, doesn't exist. Miracles are a completely different matter and are supernatural, which is something science can't explain. I also don't think I was very clear about the government. I didn't necessarily mean it was impossible for the government to hide proof. It would just be extremely difficult and illogical. I find government conspiracies of the past to be very interesting as well, I just refuse to believe that the incident in Roswell was over alien life. The evidence at the scene by onlookers just doesn't add up. If you research more into that event you'll find it more likely that the military was testing experimental weather balloons for reconnaissance in combat. Furthermore, if we weren't made for this planet then the susceptibility ratio compared to animals would be much more extreme. The reason animals are less susceptible to diseases is because either they're the ones where the disease originates from or because they've been subjected to it more living in the harsh conditions that they do. Animals don't use vaccines like people do so maybe the reason humans are more susceptible is because of our own ignorance. Also, your last argument is almost borderline Scientology. According to Scientologists, humans were created by an alien named Xenu who brought them to earth and blew all of them up (with nuclear weapons dropped into volcanoes mind you) save for a few. Keep in mind that Scientology was created by L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction author who was down on his luck and trying to make a quick dollar.
DrAwkward

Pro

I agree this is all theory, but that is true for both sides of the argument. I also see your point on Scientology, however that is not quite what I was getting at. I have read several theories, all with evidence to back them up on how humans came to earth. However, religion doesn't give any apparent truth. I realise I may be missing points here and there as I don't have a religion, but I don't beleive any evidence has been given to back it up. I also see what you mean with the government and it being illogical to hide the discovery. However, that would all depend on what they were doing with the aliens. Knowledge of life off earth could cause an uproar, and the government might be using them for testing or something along those lines. I know that may sound extreme, but the government test things on anything and anyone, and I can tell many stories to back that up. There have been too many events over the years to ignore the probability of extra terrestrial life. Some of it may in fact be fiction, but some of it has quite a lot of evidence to back it up.
tennistanner

Con

I recognize that you make some valid points, but most of it comes off as nonsense. I personally can not recall one event of the probability of extraterrestrials having enough evidence to make me believe otherwise. I would honestly love to read some of these theories about how humans came to earth, but since you didn't provide an example of one I can't see how that helps your side of the argument. The truth that comes with religion is laid out in the book of Genesis where it explains that God created man in his image. We as humans are never supposed to be able to understand how we came about if you believe in Christianity. It's beyond our comprehension and level of understanding, but since people in our society are so adamant about knowing the 'truth,' science as we know it came about. I didn't want to make this into a religious debate and that still isn't my primary intention, but with the topic things like this will naturally come about. The government can't be entirely trusted, I agree with you on that, but it still makes no sense whatsoever why they may hide something as groundbreaking as alien life. You mention an uproar and that's true, but the uproar would be positive because it marks a new age in our civilization. That being said, the universe was created with humans in mind as the dominant species. It should be a priority for us to explore the unknown realms of space in order to pursue our own interests. This does not say or prove anything about alien life existing though. The history of man simply negates life beyond our reaches.
Posted by firestorm 2 years ago
firestorm
I find both your arguments invalid to a point. the fact is we have no clue whether there is or isn't life other than our own. however it would be illogical to believe that we are the only things in a vast universe, I suggest looking up Dr. Michio Kaku. on another point Bacteria, virus's and diseases come from all sources on this globe suggesting animals spread these things as one of your rebuttals is rubbish.
Posted by tennistanner 2 years ago
tennistanner
@ILL_logic I'm just citing an example. You won't necessarily know if I agree with the question or not until the end haha
Posted by physicsmajor1 2 years ago
physicsmajor1
It is true that there is currently next to no evidence for extraterrestrial life, however, based on our knowledge of the natural world, where there is water, there may be life.
Posted by ILL_logic 2 years ago
ILL_logic
according to the holy bible ... blah blah blah blah blah
Posted by tennistanner 2 years ago
tennistanner
I'll debate... Why not?
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
Possibility =/= probability. There goes your first argument.

And like Mystic said, sleep paralysis is a thing. There goes your second argument.
Posted by MysticEgg 2 years ago
MysticEgg
I won't take this, as I'd be Devil's Advocate, but sleep paralysis is the best explanation for your second argument. Effectively, to stop you from killing yourself by accident while you're sleeping, your body locks all of your muscles into place.

On occasion, you can wake up consciously ahead of your subconscious, resulting in sleep paralysis. Your subconscious still thinks you're asleep, so your muscles are locked. Consciously, however, you're awake. Now, this also explains we you'd see aliens. As your subconscious mind thinks you're asleep, you can dream whilst awake.

It's actually really interesting, you should look it up! :D

Posted by physicsmajor1 2 years ago
physicsmajor1
Although not everything you said in your opening argument is completely true, there is definitely the chance of extraterrestrial life existing. Perhaps not in the form of the stereotypical science fiction alien, but maybe rather in the form of microbes or other simple micro-organisms. In all actuality, there is the definite possibility of extraterrestrial life existing.
Vote Placed by black_squirrel 2 years ago
black_squirrel
DrAwkwardtennistannerTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was close. PRO dropped the argument of sleep paralysis (really, PRO should look into this). On the other hand, CON's main argument is religion, but then disses PRO's argument because it sounds like Scientology (a religion). Because of this hypocrisy, I have to give arguments to PRO. Besides, if angels come from heaven, should they not be considered extra-terrestials?