Esiar
Clovis

Do Christians Have To Keep The Sabbath?

Clovis

Esiar

Con

Round 1 = First argument (Instead of simply saying "I accept" this round, also give your argument)
Round 2 = Rebuttal
Round 3 = Conclusion
----------------------------------------
Christians do not have to keep the sabbath.

Colossians 2:16-17 says "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH DAYS: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

It's saying that things like the Sabbath are a shadow of Christ, and Christ is the body casting the shadow: You shouldn't worry about what people do with the shadow, but rather what they do with the one casting it.
Clovis

Pro

Christians do indeed need to keep the Sabbath as something that they recognize and use.

The verse in question says do not let man judge you on what you do on the Sabbath Day, it says no mention of abolishing the Sabbath whatsoever. Jesus frequently ran into trouble regarding the Sabbath due to human rules that were placed upon the Sabbath by worldly priests. The Sabbath in no way is being abolished in this verse.

Jesus says in Matthew 12:12 "It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."
Jesus says in Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

These two verses, quotes out of the mouth of Jesus, affirm the the enduring existence of the Sabbath. What Jesus does is free us from the earthly constraints that religion had placed upon the Sabbath that were undue. Why would Jesus preach about the Sabbath if he did not expect us to keep it? As Jesus was the Messiah his existence is supposed to transform Judaism therefore preaching about the Sabbath merely for Jews would make no sense. He is preaching about keeping the Sabbath in the future and the subsequent people who will be following the teachings of Jesus are Christians. If Jesus did not want Christians to abide by the Sabbath he would have simply abolished the notion altogether instead of simply abolishing the earthly restrictions placed upon it.

The original text regarding the Sabbath reads: "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all th-at is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." - Exodus 20:8-11

The religious figures at the time had placed all sorts of earthly rules upon what constituted work in order for them to press their interpretation of the Sabbath onto Jewish citizens. Jesus does not abolish the Sabbath but rather abolishes the worldly arbitrary limits placed upon the Sabbath by religious figures of the time.

Throughout the New Testament Jesus reaffirms the Ten Commandments [1]. We as Christians are expected to keep them, the Sabbath included. Jesus merely frees us from the earthly restrictions placed upon it but we are still meant to recognize the Sabbath and keep it holy.

[1] http://www.cogwriter.com...
Esiar

Con

You said, "The verse in question says do not let man judge you on what you do on the Sabbath Day, it says no mention of abolishing the Sabbath whatsoever."

That one may not, but Romans 14:5 does. "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.".
Clovis

Pro

Again my opponent's statement is false.

You have cherry-picked a single verse that has no bearing on the Sabbath whatsoever. In order to understand verse 5 we must read the entire first section of Romans 14.

Romans 14:1-5 reads as follows...

"1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind."

The verse is not about the Sabbath at all but rather about people with differing viewpoints and how we should treat them as one in the Body of Christ. The chapter is about how people will have differing opinions and will be on differing points of faith during their journey in faith. It has nothing to do with the Sabbath.

Furthermore, the Rev. Joseph Benson has this to say regarding the verse in question:

"And with respect to days, one man esteemeth one day above another — Thinks that the new moons and Jewish festivals are holier than other days, and ought still to be observed. Another esteemeth every day alike — Holds that the difference of days appointed by Moses has now ceased. The Jewish holydays only being the subject of controversy, what the apostle hath here written concerning them cannot be extended to the Sabbath, instituted at the creation, nor to the Christian Sabbath, the Lord’s day. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind — That a thing is lawful before he does it, or well satisfied as to the grounds of his practice, that so he may not knowingly offend God." [1]

Let me repeat the bolded once more: "...what the apostle hath here written concerning them cannot be extended to the Sabbath, instituted at the creation, nor to the Christian Sabbath, the Lord’s day"

My opponent did little and less to counter the points I laid forth and then cherry picks a verse that cannot be applied to the Sabbath. I gave the Word of Jesus as testimony to the Sabbath, my opponent gives out of context fragments. I have even supplied a commentary by a renowned Biblical scholar who claims the verse in question cannot be applied to the Sabbath, neither the Jewish Sabbath nor the Christian. My opponents verse, to which they give no commentary or further supplemental arguments for, is rebutted.

[1] http://biblehub.com...
Esiar

Con

I didn't do much to counter your original point because only one part seemed relevant to me.

My question is - Why can't Romans 14:5 be interpreted as speaking about the sabbath?
Clovis

Pro

My opponent has ignored the bulk of my arguments and has presented none of their own. I affirm that I have successfully defended Christians' duty to the Sabbath while my opponent has put little forth to do any such thing.

My final response...

You have to read the verse in context, something you failed quite admirably to do, the verse is regarding people of differing levels of faith, something I previously pointed out. It's about looking at differences. You also have to read the Bible with some historical background. At the time these people were newly converted Jews. This verse is talking about new Christians who still want to hold onto their Jewish holidays and traditions. We are cautioned to not cast them aside for such beliefs but embrace them as new Christians. Again, your verse was badly cherry-picked and thrown into this debate with no real understanding or background by my opponent.

I have given my rebuttal as to why this verse does not work for the Sabbath, bolstered it with that of a well known biblical scholar and presented more evidence and verses besides.

Please vote PRO as I have affirmed the debate resolution and my opponent has failed to both stop me and give any substantial reasoning as to why Christians are freed from the Sabbath. Jesus affirmed all ten commandments in his teachings, the Sabbath included yet my opponent gave no mention of that either.
Posted by ACHOSEN1 2 years ago
ACHOSEN1
"Christians" are supposed to keep the Shabbat Holy; wish I could've debated this.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
I used to be really interested in this topic. I started off thinking Sunday was a substitute for the Sabbath. Then I thought a person could keep a Sabbath day on any day of the week. Then I thought the Sabbath was on Saturday, and Christians ought to observe it. Now, I think the Sabbath is on Saturday, and Christians have no obligation to observe it. But I am tempted to play devil's advocate and argue that Christians are obligated to keep the Sabbath.
Vote Placed by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
EsiarClovisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Very one sided debate. Was an interesting read from Pro's side though. I have a hard time believing Pro's two verses say what he wants them to, and when I read the second one alarm bells rang immediately in my head as I only just read Corrinthians last week, lol.
Vote Placed by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
EsiarClovisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't put up much of a fight. In the last round, he merely asked a question without making any effort to rebut what Pro had already said.