1Devilsadvocate
Dann

Do Jews control America

1Devilsadvocate

1Devilsadvocate

Con

I recently saw this debate where pro won, so I decided to challenge him, and anyone else who has this perverted view. Please do not accept unless you have an ELO of at least 2,000.

Resolved: Jews control America. I'm Con.
Dann

Pro

Jews blatantly control America. I accept.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

I'm not sure why my opponent has not made any arguments, I did not specify that R1 is for acceptance only, as pro, he must show that Jews control America, while I must counter his arguments. So until then, I'll point out some facts and figures:

-Jews make up less than 5% of the U.S. Population. as of 2008 they made up 2.2% of U.S. population.(1) (Christians make up about 75%, 20% have no religious affiliation)

-In the history of the United states, there has never been a Jewish president nor vice president.

-No Jew has even ever been nominated for president, only one Jew was ever nominated for vice president, and lost.

-Almost all of the presidents can be characterized as Christian, at least by formal membership. Some were Unitarian or unaffiliated with a specific religious body. Some are thought to have been deists, or irreligious. No president thus far has been an atheist, a Jew, a Buddhist, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Sikh or an adherent of any specific non-Christian religion. (2)

-If Jews controlled America, we would expect that even if they couldn't get one of their own even nominated for president, at the very least they would be able to affect which president gets elected. The facts tell us otherwise, the presidential winner does not seem to correlate with the Jewish majority vote. Since 1915 only about half of the winning presidents had the Jewish majority vote. To be exact 13 winners had, and 12 didn't. If we count from 1952, the winner had the majority vote only 7/15 times. So we see the Jews don't seem to control who wins the presidential elections at all. (3)

- The vast majority of the members of Obama's cabinet are not Jewish.

-There has never been a Jewish speaker of the house.

- The vast majority of congress is not Jewish, there has never been a Jewish majority in either house.

-Let's talk about the Judicial branch. How many Jewish Chief justices have there been in U.S. history? Zero.

-The vast majority of supreme court judges are not Jewish.

-In the history of the United States there has been a total of 8 Jewish supreme court judges.

-The Atlantic had an article entitled:"The Top 100 Influential Figures in American History" in which they asked 10 eminent historians, Who are the most influential figures in American history? Based on their answers they came up with a list of the top 100 influential figures in American history. Out of all those 100, only 1 was Jewish, Albert Einstein. & How much control or influence did he have over America? Not much. (4)
Same results from times survey of the top 20.(5)

-Richest American - Bill Gates not Jewish (#2 Warren Buffet as well is not Jewish)

-Steve Jobs was a Lutheran turned Zen Buddhist

-"Not one of the major television news operations"Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC News, CBS News, or NBC News"is currently headed by a Jewish executive.(6)

-Let"s take a look at General Electric, one of the greatest media powerhouses. General Electric owns NBC/Universal Television Studio, and NBC/Universal Television and Universal Pictures, and 30% of Paxson Communications. It also owns the following NBC stations: WNBC (New York), KNBC (Los Angeles), WMAQ (Chicago), WCAU (Philadelphia), KNTV (San Jose/San Francisco), KXAS (Dallas/Fort Worth), WRC (Washington), WTVJ (Miami), KNSD (San Diego), WVIT (Hartford), WNCN (Raleigh), WCMH (Columbus), WVTM (Birmingham), WJAR (Providence). In addition, GE owns the following: Telemundo Stations: KVEA/KWHY (Los Angeles), WNJU (New York), WSCV (Miami), KTMD (Houston), WSNS (Chicago), KXTX (Dallas/Fort Worth), KVDA (San Antonio), KSTS (San Jose/San Francisco), KDRX (Phoenix), KNSO (Fresno), KMAS (Denver), WNEU (Boston/Merrimack), KHRR (Tucson), and WKAQ (Puerto Rico). And, finally, GE owns the following channels: CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, Mun2TV, Sci-Fi, Trio, and USA...

GE is a publicly traded company, so it is owned by the stockholders, not by "the Jews." In any case, companies are run by their CEO"s. The CEO of this company for many years was Jack Welch - a devout Catholic.
The current CEO at General Electric is Jeffrey Immelt - a Presbyterian.
That"s a lot of media. However, Time-Warner is even bigger. Time-Warner the world"s largest media company is run by Richard D. Parsons - a Christian. Before Parsons it was run by Steve Case, also not Jewish. (7)

-None of the top 20 people on the Forbes Celebrity 100 is Jewish..." (6)

Let's take a look at some fortune 500's: (8)
Rank:1
Exxon Mobil -
CEO: Rex Tillerson
2. Wal-Mart Stores
Rank: 2 (Previous rank: 1)
CEO: Michael T. Duke
3. Chevron
Rank: 3 (Previous rank: 3)
CEO: John S. Watson
4. ConocoPhillips
Rank: 4 (Previous rank: 4)
CEO: Ryan M. Lance
5. General Motors
Rank: 5 (Previous rank: 8)
CEO: Daniel F. Akerson

I went through the top 10, didn't see a single Jewish CEO.

Bank of America Corp. is ranked # 13, highest of the banks.
CEO: Brian T. Moynihan - Not Jewish

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. #2 bank #16 overall
CEO: James Dimon - not Jewish

All this isn't to say that Jews aren't successful, affluent, or influential, they most certainly are, and have every right to be, but to say that they control America is a gross exaggeration.

Now, I'm eager to see what proof my opponent has that Jews control America.
Keep in mind that just because an organization or industry is populated with members of a particular ethnicity does not mean that ethnicity has unified and concerted control of that entire enterprise.

(1)http://en.wikipedia.org...

(2)https://en.wikipedia.org...

(3)http://en.wikipedia.org...

(4)http://www.theatlantic.com...

(5)http://newsfeed.time.com...

(6)http://www.slate.com...

(7)http://www.hirhome.com...

(8) http://money.cnn.com...
Dann

Pro

The heads of the federal reserve are Jewish, as are the heads of Goldman Sachs.

Money makes the world go round. Money talks. Follow the money. Whoever controls the money, controls the country.

And it just so happens that Jews occupy thee most important seats in thee most important financial institutions in America.

Ben Bernanke - the Fed
Lloyd Blankfein - Goldman Sachs

Also, thee business of America - moviemaking - has historically been run by Jews. For only 5% of the population, they wield one hell of an amount of influence. The tiny relative population only serves to underline how powerful a culture they are in America.

Is there a more powerful, more influential class of person in America than the Jew? I don't think so.

The topmost levels of the financial section are crawling with them.

If you agree that whoever controls the money, really calls all the other shots, then it stands on its own that Jews control America.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

Goldman sachs is an excellent & successful bank, but as evident from what I wrote in the previous round, It is one of many, and not nearly as big as other banks in America.

Lets take a look at what's known as “the big four”:

(Big Four is the colloquial name for the four main banks in several countries, where the banking industry is dominated by just four institutions and where the phrase has gained currency. http://en.wikipedia.org...(banking))

“The term Big 4 within the banking industry refers to the four largest banks within the United States: Bank of America, Chase, Citi and Wells Fargo. With each bank holding assets in the low trillions, these institutions serve the majority of personal and business account holders in the US.” (1)

As you can see, Goldman Sachs is not one of them. Both, JPMorgan Chase & Bank of America, are more than double the size of Goldman Sachs (I.E. each one is double the size.) In fact if you add up these 4 banks, they are more than 8 times the size of Goldman Sachs. (2)

I’m not 100% sure what my opponent means by “The heads of the federal reserve are Jewish” as he only lists 1, Ben Bernanke. It is absurd to say that Ben Bernanke “controls America", no doubt he is a powerful person, but he by no means “controls” America.

1st of all there is no question that Barack Obama is much more powerful. (I’ve never heard anyone say that African Americans control America. (Maybe I’m just not reading Stormfront enough.)) America is set up in a way that no one person or group controls it, the American people control it. The majority of the American people voted for both George Bush & Barack Obama, who were the ones that decided (with the approval of congress which is also elected) that Ben Bernanke is the right person for the job (He was first chosen by Bush, then given a second term by Obama). It’s also worth mentioning that Obama a democrat chose him despite the fact that Bernanke is republican.

And he certainly is qualified for the Job, here are some quick facts about Mr. Bernanke; He (won the South Carolina state spelling bee, scored 1590 out of 1600 on his SAT,) earned a B.A. in economics summa cum laude from Harvard University, was given the distinction of having the best undergraduate economics thesis, and was named the outstanding senior in the economics department. He received his economics PhD from MIT and began teaching at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business. He was chairman of Princeton's economics department, Governor of the Federal Reserve, and chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers. (3)

Bernanke has a 75% approval from investors in a Global Poll. Four in five say the Fed has done a better job in handling the problems facing the U.S. economy than the European Central Bank has had in coping with its region’s troubles. (4)

Ben Bernanke is clearly not in control, as U.S. news put it:
“Congress has gotten away with its awful handling of the economy for one big reason: The Fed has done a lot more to aid the economy than Congress has done to harm it. Unprecedented "quantitative easing" by the Fed has pushed interest rates far lower than they'd otherwise be, boosted stock values, accelerated a housing rebound and generally persuaded investors and consumers that there's some adult leadership in Washington.” (5)
As we see Ben Bernanke is (unfortunately) not in control. (he's not perfect, but he's better than congress)

(I saw a cute line to the effect of "It can't be that Jews run America cause if Jews truly ran America then it wouldn't be around $14,348,286,329,736.85 in debt and would probably have a similar amount as a surplus.")

In what way are the Jews “controlling America” through Ben Bernanke? Is he buying up billions of dollars worth of Israeli bonds? No.

Also, thee business of America - moviemaking - has historically been run by Jews.”[sic]

Right, like Walt Disney, who was an anti-semite.(6)

I’m not entirely sure what my opponent is trying to say here altogether.

Even if true, how does running “moviemaking” translate into “controlling America”. Seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me.

For only 5% of the population, they wield one hell of an amount of influence. The tiny relative population only serves to underline how powerful a culture they are..."

Two points:

1) Notice the word my opponent used “one hell of an amount of influence.” Influence, is not the same as control.

2) Notice the words “For only 5% of the population, they wield one hell of an amount of influence.”

Their relative influence is irrelevant, what is relevant is their actual influence/control.

Any individual member of congress has “one hell of an amount of influence/control” relative to his population (I.E. 1). There is no 1 member of congress that controls America.

I don’t like making racial/ethnic divisions like this, but just to illustrate the absurdity of “Jewish control”:

Even if “Jews” as a whole/on average had 5 times as much influence/control per capita as Christians, the christian influence/control would still outnumber that of the Jews 3:1. And that’s using my opponents exaggerated (sourceless) number of 5%. The real percentage, is closer to 2%.Total U.S. population = 308,745,538 to 313,914,040 (7)(8). Jews in the U.S. = (6,588,065-6,600,000[3][4][5] to) 6,721,680[6][7][8] (9). (Christians are about 75% (10), (millionaires are about 3%.(11)))

So if anything, it would be more accurate to say that christians “control America”. But alas this too is false, America is not controlled by any one group, it’s pretty much controlled by the people.

IMHO, to say that this 2.1% “controls america”, is an absurd conspiracy theory.

As I’ve shown, this is not true, (Every president in the U.S. has been christian, etc.).

But even if it were, it’s irrelevant. Consider the following; suppose you have 3 groups, 2 have 30% “control” each, the 3rd has 40%. Is there a more powerful, more influential group than the 3rd? No. but yet it wouldn’t be accurate to say that it controls. If we increase the numbers it’s even more clear, suppose we have 99 groups, 98 have 1%, and the 3rd has 2%...

Finally, I want to point out that Jews are not monolithic, there’s no one (or even cohesive group of) leaders) of the Jews.

There are all different types of jews, there are; Orthodox, conservative, reform, Reconstructionist, secular, atheist, Christian (jews for J). There are republican Jews and there jews who are democrat. There are rich Jews, and poor jews. There are jews that support Israel, and there are jews that hate israel, and there are jews who couldn’t care less. Even within these groups there are sub groups there are Haredim, Hasidim, Sephardim, Ashkenazim, etc. There are Jews that are proud of their heritage, and there are jews who couldn’t care less.

So when one says “the Jews” it’s not like one tight group, with a single common goal.

It’s ridiculous to say that they “control America”.

(1) http://banking.about.com...

(2)http://www.forbes.com...

(3) http://www.time.com...

(4)http://www.bloomberg.com...

(5)http://www.usnews.com...

(6) http://www.straightdope.com...

(7) http://en.wikipedia.org...

(8) http://www.census.gov...

(9)http://en.wikipedia.org...

(10)http://www.pewforum.org...

Dann

Pro

Actually,

I'm not so sure that Jews do control America. I think they do have one hell of a lot of control over America, but not a monopoly on it. I think America is Israels bitch to be honest and I think that the Jewish-Muslim unease is one of the main reasons that the US are lording it up in the MiddleEast but no, they don't have outright control over America.

Hollywood. You know how influential it is.

I concede the debate. I can't be bothered researching something I don't particularly believe anymore.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

I commend my opponents honesty, integrity, and ability to change his mind, and ask the voters to at least give him the conduct point.

As far as the rest of my opponents statements, I disagree with them as they too are grossly exaggerated and ignore the immense complexity of the matters, and I would be willing to debate those assertions as well, but in a separate debate.

Vote Con!
Dann

Pro

Vote pro
Even so!
Posted by Jerthade 1 year ago
Jerthade
Actually JuliusMaximus....It appears that 1DevilsAdvocate one this one by a long margin. All his opponent did was repeat unverifiable conspiracy theory rhetoric.....
Posted by armyguy808 3 years ago
armyguy808
I think 1devilsadvocate has 2 accounts. The other being Dann's; or Dann is the worst debater ever he did not even fact check CON.
CON distorted the truth by listing the founder of Disney and not mentioning the current Jewish CEO. She listed GE as owning ABC and NBC and not listing their Jewish CEOs, Media Corp(FOX news and thousands of other media outlets) is owned by Rupert Murdoch who's mother is Jewish. Google and Facebook were founded by Jews. CEO of Sirius Radio. 50 percent of CNN's newscasters are Jews. 50% of American Billionaires are Jews. A long list of powerful banks and other financial institutions have Jewish CEOs or presidents, The World Bank, IMF, The Federal Reserve, Bear Stearns, JP Morgan Chase, Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs, Charles Schwab; to name a few, the list goes on for ever.
The heads of Hillary Clinton and John McCain's campaign finances are Jews.
To deny that influence is control is to deny the entire institution of lobbying. The 2 most powerful lobbyist groups in America(both contain Israel in their name) are run by Jews.
Influence by definition is control- the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command.
If you can produce large sums of money to provide a politician with the means of being elected. That politician will in return be your puppet.
The chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee is a Jew. A Democrat cannot be elected without her support.
I have much more but I'm tired.
Posted by blueiceswag 3 years ago
blueiceswag
it depends Jews do have money but there very selfish when it come to there birthdays.
Posted by Dann 3 years ago
Dann
When I was researching this, I was under the influence of confirmation bias. I had a preconceived notion that the US was run by Jews, but nothing substantial to much support my claims. After hearing Cons arguments and researching further on that basis, I realised that I was talking about things I knew nothing about - out of my arse essentially. Out of a random prejudice (not anti Semitic I hasten to add, just judging before the facts)

It is fair to say, however, that Jews wield a disproportionate amount of influence and control over the US. That notwithstanding, a clear win for Con and my thanks for the conduct request.
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
Maybe you should do research BEFORE you decide to believe something.
If you believe something before researching it, you really need to ask yourself, why, why do I believe this if I never researched it?
Also realize that if your doing research to prove a preconceived notion, you're research will be heavily bias. This is a common cognitive bias known as Confirmation bias http://en.wikipedia.org....

BEWARE OF COGNITIVE BIAS!
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
I still believe Jews rule the world......Maybe I will take this debate after doing some through research...
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
This debate did not require much other than a skimming to evaluate.

1) PRO conceded. That he did so gracefully earned him conduct. CON easily won this debate and sourced substantially. Arguments were on a wholly different level than what PRO proffered.

2) Common mistake - Goldman Sachs is not a bank, it is an investment bank. Investment banking is not really something most people would associate as actual banking - rather it is a boutique firm where capitalists actively pool capital together in order to make large-scale purchases/transactions. Goldman Sachs is easily the largest and most prominent of the investment banks.

"An investment bank is a financial institution that assists individuals, corporations, and governments in raising capital by underwriting and/or acting as the client's agent in the issuance of securities. An investment bank may also assist companies involved in mergers and acquisitions and provide ancillary services such as market making, trading of derivatives and equity securities, and FICC services (fixed income instruments, currencies, and commodities)."

"Unlike commercial banks and retail banks, investment banks do not take deposits. From 1933 (Glass"Steagall Act) until 1999 (Gramm"Leach"Bliley Act), the United States maintained a separation between investment banking and commercial banks. Other industrialized countries, including G8 countries, have historically not maintained such a separation. As part of the Dodd-Frank Act 2010, Volker Rule asserts full institutional separation of investment banking services from commercial banking."
https://en.wikipedia.org...

3) CON's analysis outside of this was cogent and persuasive, evidently enough to persuade even PRO.
Posted by JuliusMaximus 3 years ago
JuliusMaximus
Mmmm, lets see 1Devilsadvocate get beaten in two "Do Jews control America" debates at the same time.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: see comment, good case, CON
Vote Placed by Daktoria 3 years ago
Daktoria
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Burden of proof is on the affirmative. However, Con makes a semantic argument between influence and control, and is an elitist in only looking at the very top of society.
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
HeartOfGod
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: pros case was short and extremely underwhelming. clear win for Con
Vote Placed by Magic8000 3 years ago
Magic8000
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had exhaustive sources and well thought out arguments. Con brought up many positions of power where not one jew was in. Pro ignored this and said that the big four and other organization are controlled by jews, one company wasn't even a part of the big four and none of the big four is controlled by jews. Con brought up bigger groups that weren't controlled by jews. R3 Pro basically forfeited.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con requested pro receive conduct point, which I agree with. Pro made several concessions, in the end openly changing his opinion away from the resolution. Con used a lot of good looking sources, while pro used none.
Vote Placed by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Fer teh lulz. *eats lox w/bagel*
Vote Placed by justin.graves 3 years ago
justin.graves
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dann pretty much babbled his way through this debate without sources.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
1DevilsadvocateDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession