thebestdebate
Da_gman17

Do Muslims & Christians Worship the Same God?

thebestdebate

Con

Whomever accepts this debate assumes Pro. This is my second time posting this debate. Please read through the rules before accepting! I would like to discuss and debate this classic debate.

Rules:

1) The first round is for acceptance only. All other rounds will are fair game
2) The burden of proof lies on both Pro and Con
3) Pro will argue that Christians and Muslims do worship the same God
4) Con will argue that Christians and Muslims don't worship the same God
5) No trolling/spam
6) Violation of these rules will result in defeat

If you accept this debate you must consider these rules. I wish my opponent the best of luck!
Da_gman17

Pro

I accept this debate and accept that I am on the pro side meaning that I believe that they do believe in the same God. I am excited to debate with you.
thebestdebate

Con

Hello and thank you Da_gman17 for accepting this classic debate. I look forward to it! It has long been a popular belief that Christians and Muslims worship in the same God. For the longest time I believed it myself. Historically speaking, Christianity and Islam both have roots in a common ancestor: Judaism. So by technicality, it seems logical to believe that both Abrahamic religions worship a common God, just with different names. However, with a close inspection of the characteristics of Allah and God (I will refer to him as Yahweh), we will discover exactly how these two ideas of God are, in fact, two highly different characters.

The Rules of Marriage

One of the ways to indicate a large difference between the God of Christianity and of Islam is on the way that they deal with marriage. According to the Bible, and spoken by Jesus Christ, God created man and woman to be united as one flesh through marriage. This unification is meant to be between one man and one woman exclusively. Jesus describes this in Matthew 19:4-6: “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh?’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate [1].” Spoken by Jesus, God created marriage to exist between two people, no more than that. God also condemns monogamy in Deuteronomy 17:17, speaking “and he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold [2].” On the contrary, Allah encourages polygamy. The Quran 4:3 explicitly states to "marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four… [3]” The fact that Allah and Yahweh have two completely different views on marriage shows that they are not the same. This proves that Yahweh and Allah hold two entirely different views on what is considered the most sacred bond in humanity. Thus, Allah and Yahweh are not the same God.

The Trinity

Besides the entire thought processes of the two vastly different Gods, there is yet another reason to believe the Muslims and Christians worship different Gods: the Trinity. The Trinity has been a subject of controversy for quite some time, but the Bible does refer to three persons of God: the Father (often referred to as the Lord, the Maker, Abba, Adonai, etc), the Son (Jesus, the (Living) Word, the Son of Man, and possibly the Angel of the Lord), and the Holy Spirit. All of these persons are mentioned many times. In John 14:26, Jesus refers to all three persons of God. He says “however, the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything. He will remind you of everything that I have ever told you [4].” Knowing this, it is apparent that the God of the Christians exists in three persons; however difficult this may be to understand. However, the Quran directly identifies the Trinity as false. It says “people of the Book, do not go to excess in your religion, and do not say anything about God except the truth: the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was nothing more than a messenger of God, His word, directed to Mary, a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers and do not speak of a 'Trinity'—stop, that is better for you—God is only one God, He is far above having a son, everything in the heavens and earth belongs to Him and He is the best one to trust [5].” R32;The Christians clearly believe in a God that exists in three persons, while the Muslims believe that Allah is the only. These differences show us that Allah and Yahweh are not the same God, they are very different.

Regards to Jesus

Undoubtedly, Jesus Christ is the most important figure in the Bible. He is described as being the Son of God. The belief that God has a son, and that son is God, is the basis of the the entire Christian religion. However, the Islamics clearly do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God, or even is God at that. The Quran says “those who say, ‘God is the Messiah, son of Mary,’ have defied God. The Messiah himself said; ‘Children of Israel, worship God, my Lord and your Lord.’ If anyone associates others with God, God will forbid him from the Garden, and Hell will be his home. No one will help such evildoers. Those people who say that God is the third of three are defying [the truth]: there is only One God. If they persist in what they are saying, a painful punishment will afflict those of them who persist. Why do they not turn to God and ask his forgiveness, when God is most forgiving, most merciful? The Messiah, son of Mary, was only a messenger; other messengers had come and gone before him; his mother was a virtuous woman; both ate food. See how clear We make these signs for them; see how deluded they are [6].” The Christians believe Jesus is God, the Muslims believe that he was simply a messenger, defying the doctrine of Christianity’s God. Believing that Jesus is God or that he was simply a prophet, and no more, is a denial to the Christian doctrine and who God is. This massive difference between the God of Christians and the God of Islamics.

Salvation

The ultimate goal of both Muslims and Christians is to be saved from their sins. Both religions believe that all have sinned and require both repentance and forgiveness to be saved. However, the way their God grants them forgiveness vary. For Muslims, the only way you can be saved is by good works that earn Allah’s grace. In Surah 5:9, the Quran reads: "to those who believe and do deeds of righteousness hath Allah promised forgiveness and a great reward [7]." Furthermore, Surah 42:46 reads "He listens to those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, and gives them increase of His Bounty: but for the Unbelievers their is a terrible Penalty [8]." The God of the Muslims, Allah, is only willing to forgive his followers if, and only if, they do works of righteousness and works of good. However, Yahweh forgives by grace alone. Ephesians 2:8-9 describes this. “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast [9].” No amount of good works can save a person. People are only forgiven by God’s grace. The God of Islam and the God of Christianity are two very different Gods, as they grant forgiveness in two very different ways.

So it should seem very obvious, at this point, that the God that is worshipped by the Muslims is a very different God than worshipped by the Christians. I ask all those viewing and my opponent to understand.

Thank You. Please consider Con.

Citations

1) Matthew 19:4-6, New International Version

2) Deuteronomy 17:17, English Standard Version

3) Qur’an 4:3, English Translation

4) John 14:26, God’s Word Translation

5) Qur'an, Surah 4 (Ann-isa), Ayat 171, English Translation

6) Qur'an, Surah 5 (Al-Ma’ida), Ayat 72-75, English Translation

7) Surah 5:9, English Translation

8) Surah 42:46, English Translation

9) Ephesians 2:8-9, English Standard Version
Da_gman17

Pro

Da_gman17 forfeited this round.
thebestdebate

Con

I honestly was looking forward to this debate. There are ways to argue Pro. I ask that this debate please continues. I really wanted a good discussion on this topic.
Da_gman17

Pro

Da_gman17 forfeited this round.
thebestdebate

Con

Thank you Da_gman for this debate but I'm disappointed that you forfeited most of it. I have no need to extend any of my points as they remain completely unchallenged. Yahweh and Allah are two very different Gods, despite the claims of Muslims and even some Christians. They have different rules, they exist in different ways, they save their followers in different ways, and one has a son and the other doesn't. The differences are massive and prove, without a doubt, that Allah and Yahweh are not the same God. Due to this, I believe the only legitimate option for this debate is to vote Con. Allah and Yahweh are not the same.

Da_gman17

Pro

Da_gman17 forfeited this round.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Do Jews and Christians worship the same God?
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate
What a shame. Another forfeit....
@dsjpk5 They all descend from Abraham. They are all classified as Abrahamic religions too. That's where the argument comes from. They vary a lot in detail but they have a common ancestor, Judaism.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Don't they all descend from Abraham?
Posted by thebestdebate 1 year ago
thebestdebate
Yeah. Historically speaking, the idea is plausible. However, I would disagree
Posted by Phenenas 1 year ago
Phenenas
Interesting debate idea. If you compare the Bible to the Qur'an, God and Allah obviously aren't the same, though Muslims believe this.