JimmyBoJangles
Commondebator

Do Organic Foods Cause Autism?

Commondebator

JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Hello to everyone. First off, I would like to say that I hate people who are all like "I eat organic foods, and im gluten free, and I'm vegan, and I love starbucks, and I have a thumb ring that makes me look stupid". They're the kind of people you hate so much that you wonder if there's something wrong with them. That's when I thought, what if they're so weird because of the organic foods. Just a thought.

Here's a graph of autism and organic food sales
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Sorry here's the graph http://www.pd.infn.it...

Must've been a problem with the doo-hickey.

This graph clearly shows that the rise of organic food sales is correlated with the rise of autism. Now I can already hear everyone being like "correlation isn't causation" but I think there really is something here. The reason I think this is because of the people who these foods. They are very weird, are vegans, have thumb rings, spout crap about the environment, think that violence isn't the answer to solving problems, and are generally wimps. What if they are so weird because they have autism? I honestly don't know how any genius before me hasn't figured this out.
Commondebator

Con

Thank you Pro

Causes for autism:
Cause for autism is specifically unknown, however relies heavily on genetics. Some may speculate that these causes may be because outside environmental factors. They would be within reasoning, however organic foods fall way out of this speculation. My opponent may be referring to GMO’s, however this is not the case judging by his graph. Pesticide may be to blame, however the sole organic foods certainly is not. Moreover, even if foods did impact autism, it would not be as heavily impacted as genetics.

Subjective opinions do not make arguments
My opponent throws out a very interesting claim which appears to be “they are very weird, are vegans, have thumb rings, spout crap about the environment, think that violence isn't the answer to solving problems, and are generally wimps”. Hate to say it, however this statement is wrong on so many levels. Not only are my opponent’s arguments offensive to some degree however these are hardly even arguments.

This claim appears to be my opponent’s only justification for the loosely tied variables of autism and organic food sales!

I would like to point out that subjective opinions do not count as any degree of justification for the graph, and I will elaborate how “Association does not imply causation” really does come into play.

Organic food sales, or more advanced and broader diagnosis?
“Part of the change in prevalence over time is clearly associated with changes in diagnostic criteria,” says Michael Rosanoff, Autism Speaks’ director of public health research. This makes sense since we have more broader diagnosis, therefore more cases. However, the number of autistic cases may have been a constant (or fluctuating to some degree) if we had the same procedures of diagnosis.

My opponent fails to provide any scientific reasoning behind organic food sales and autism. Rather, other factors impact the rising autism rates.

https://www.autismspeaks.org...
http://www.socialgradient.org...

JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Dude I'm just saying what if... It's time that you become so close minded and open up to other points of view. For instance, a fine young man like you should be devoting himself to Jesus. Unless you have a thumb ring. Then go burn in hell.
Commondebator

Con

My opponent drops all my arguments, changes topic, and insults people with thumb rings.

How was I expecting that?

This is a debate where you fight/argue against your stance. . .I think you may want to discuss this in the forums.
Posted by flewk 1 year ago
flewk
http://www.tylervigen.com...

Here are some sexy correlations.
Posted by debate_power 2 years ago
debate_power
Where's your graph again?
Posted by debate_power 2 years ago
debate_power
Where's your graph again?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Zarroette
JimmyBoJanglesCommondebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro drops Con's counter-arguments in the final round, and instead insults Con. Thus, arguments and conduct to Con. Sources to Con because they were relevant to the debate and helped Con construct his uncontested argument.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 1 year ago
Paleophyte
JimmyBoJanglesCommondebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro fails to make an argument, cite a source or use an apostrophe. Pro then wandered off into blindly insulting his opponent. Con made some decent arguments and cited a couple of sources. Sadly he doesn't appear to have had an actual opponent. Was Pro a troll?