Do Video Games Cause Violence in Kids?

Started: 2/17/2014 Category: Games

I believe that video games DO NOT cause violence in the children playing them.
Looking forward to this debate.

R1: Acceptance and CON's first argument
R2: PRO's and CON's rebuttals and arguments
R3: PRO's and CON's rebuttals and closing arguments

I accept on the grounds that Video Games do, in fact, cause violence in the children playing them.

First, some definitions-

Video Game: an electronic game in which players control images on a television or computer screen.

the use of physical force to harm someone, to damage property, etc. AND/OR : great destructive force or energy

For the sake of the argument, I will consider your definition of children to be anyone under the age of 18, which is the age recognised by the Unites States as the age of adulthood. I.E. - Anyone who is not considered a minor shall be kept out of my argument.

In June 2003, a minor by the name of Devin Thompson was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of three men. After being brought to the Fayette police station on suspicion of driving a stolen car. Thompson allegedly grabbed one of the officer's guns, shot him and the other two, then fled in a patrol car.

The suit alleges Thompson purchased "Grand Theft Auto III" at the Gamestop in Jasper and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" at the Jasper Wal-Mart when he was under 17. The games, which depict police killings and other acts of violence, are rated M, meaning they are appropriate for those 17 or older.

At a December hearing, authorities said Devin Thompson, when he was apprehended, told officers, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime."

Pont and Case, the example I listed above is one of countless examples of minors being influenced to carry out acts of violence by video games. The important factor to consider is that in the case listed above, the minor's defense attorneys are pleading that his use of those video games caused him to act the way he did. That is their defense that was admittable in court. The fact that this was the defense chosen automatically implies that it was the video game that served as the root cause for the minors violent actions.

Unfortunately, my opponent made the bold statement that video games DO NOT cause violence in children who play them, thus the burden of proof was on them. In sharing the example above, I hope that I provided the audience with evidence that completely nullifies any argument based on the claim that the Con just made.

Caljoones forfeited this round.

For the sake of clarification, my opponent made the claim that video games DO NOT cause violence in the children playing them. We are not arguing the possibility of video games causing violence or not. Rather, my opponent attempted boldly to make the claim that they do not - which is nothing short of an absolute claim. By absolute, I mean a claim that cannot be refuted and/or seen as a universal truth.

Each case shared will be based on the parameters that it was a minor who committed the violent acts and blamed the cause of their actions on video games - including legal defenses.

I. Danny Petric

On October 20, 2007 in the town of Wellington, Ohio, sixteen-year-old Danny Petric decided it was a good idea to steal his father’s gun and shoot both of his parents.

The reason was because his parents had taken away his Halo: 3 video game for the Xbox 360. While his parents sat down to watch a baseball game, Danny broke into his father's lock box and grabbed a 9mm handgun loaded with hollow point bullets.

After going to his parents and asking them to close their eyes, Danny shot his mother multiple times - killing her instantly. He then shot his father in the head, after which, he planted the gun on his father to make it appear as a murder-suicide.

Defense attorney, James Kersey, told jurors Daniel had been playing the game so long that he did not comprehend the fact that death was final and very real.

Ultimately Danny was convicted of murder and attempted murder and jailed with the possibility of parole for 23 years.

II. Grand Theft Auto - New York

In 2008, several teenagers decided to go on an all-night crime spree in the name of Grand Theft Auto. Starting with a mugging outside of a super market, the boys took to the streets with baseball bats and crowbars, robbing motorists and smashing vehicles with their weapons to the break of dawn.

“They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the lead character Nico Belic in the particularly violent video game ‘Grand Theft Auto,’ ” said Nassau County Police Detective Lt. Raymond Cote. “These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality . . . It was quite alarming.”

The series of attacks were carried out by a gang of four teens led by 15-year-old Brandon Cruz. Cruz and his pals – Samuel Philip, 16, Gurnoor Singh, 14 and Jaspreet Singh, 17 – allegedly found their first victim waiting at bus stop near the park. The teens, all of New Hyde Park, beat him and stole his cash, police said.

All four of the teens were arrested. They were all charged with first-degree robbery, except for Jaspreet Singh, who was charged with possession of stolen property. Philip, Cruz and Gurnoor Singh were held on $300,000 bond.

III. The Official Journal of The American Academy of Pediatrics

On November 1, 2008, the Official Journal of The American Academy of Pediatrics published a study which found similar results in accordance with the Pro's position:

CONTEXT. Youth worldwide play violent video games many hours per week. Previous research suggests that such exposure can increase physical aggression.

OBJECTIVE. We tested whether high exposure to violent video games increases physical aggression over time in both high- (United States) and low- (Japan) violence cultures. We hypothesized that the amount of exposure to violent video games early in a school year would predict changes in physical aggressiveness assessed later in the school year, even after statistically controlling for gender and previous physical aggressiveness.

DESIGN. In 3 independent samples, participants’ video game habits and physically aggressive behavior tendencies were assessed at 2 points in time, separated by 3 to 6 months.

PARTICIPANTS. One sample consisted of 181 Japanese junior high students ranging in age from 12 to 15 years. A second Japanese sample consisted of 1050 students ranging in age from 13 to 18 years. The third sample consisted of 364 United States 3rd-, 4th-, and 5th-graders ranging in age from 9 to 12 years.

RESULTS. Habitual violent video game play early in the school year predicted later aggression, even after controlling for gender and previous aggressiveness in each sample. Those who played a lot of violent video games became relatively more physically aggressive. Multisample structure equation modeling revealed that this longitudinal effect was of a similar magnitude in the United States and Japan for similar-aged youth and was smaller (but still significant) in the sample that included older youth.

CONCLUSIONS. These longitudinal results confirm earlier experimental and cross-sectional studies that had suggested that playing violent video games is a significant risk factor for later physically aggressive behavior and that this violent video game effect on youth generalizes across very different cultures. As a whole, the research strongly suggests reducing the exposure of youth to this risk factor.

If you would like to see the full publication, which in my opinion is fascinating, you may find it here:

When you've got professionals such as:

1. Craig A. Anderson, PhDa,
  2. Akira Sakamoto, PhDb,
  3. Douglas A. Gentile, PhDa,c,
  4. Nobuko Ihori, MAb,
  5. Akiko Shibuya, MAd,
  6. Shintaro Yukawa, PhDe,
  7. Mayumi Naito, PhDf,
  8. Kumiko Kobayashi, MAb
all providing and further verifying the point I am trying to make, it becomes apparent that there is a connection between video games and violence in children.

Once again, I would like to point out that I am not arguing that video games cause violence in ALL children. I am simply refuting the initial claim made by my opponent. I look forward to my opponent's rebuttal and closing argument.

Caljoones forfeited this round.

My opponent has failed, once again, to provide any form of rebuttal or argument against me. Therefore, both my argument and rebuttal stands unchallenged.

I would like to thank my opponent for making the initial argument and creating the topic - as I did find it an interesting one. I look forward to any and all challenges from my opponent in the future.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Clearly you are only fifteen. I'm new to this site myself, but please allow me to break it down for you.
The Con made the bold claim that video games DO NOT cause violence in kids. Therefore, all I had to do to nullify the Con's argument was share ONE CASE. Perhaps if we were debating on the possibility or statistical probability of video games causing violence in kids it would have been necessary to provide more points and cases, as well as statistics. But because the Con made the absolute claim, all that was needed on my part was to provide one case that proved the Con wrong. Perhaps you should start a similar topic so we can flesh it out further, but for now, your argument is pointless.
Posted by Jozza1172 2 years ago
considering the con isn't posting his rebuttal, ill do it for him -.-
You use 1 person as evidence so shall I. I am 15, Been playing video games (Violent) by the age of 5, never hurt a human being intentionally in my life. if i did its not because; The video game told me to
Saying this one person did it does not count for everyone doing it, it is one idiot, one idiot is your example to prove all of us is more likely to hurt someone... stupid and narrow minded view, Video games are actually decreasing the crime rate, because it is a way to let of steam, your argument might as well say; Letting a kid hit a pinata is increasing the risk he will hit someone!
or even more relevant: Letting a kid punch a punching bag to let of steam and pretend its his enemies makes him more aggro and likely to actually do it
Its a stress release, not a violence commendation, Stop acting like its the reason for violence, because its not.

(my source is blocked for some reason im getting a 404 error, ill get back to you with it :P)
Posted by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
It's hard to argue that games 100% cause violence. I suggest changing the title to: Can Video Games Cause Violence in Kids?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago