Do You Believe In Astrology?

I am a passionate Astrology fanatic. I would really love to know what your reasons are for not believing in it as I know the majority of people don't anymore.

First of all, I would like to address my opponent for beginning this debate. Since this is a debate that is highly based on opinion and speculation, I would like to ask my opponent whether or not they wish to cite their sources. There are probably not any "experts" on this subject, so I hope you will excuse me if my sources are solely based on my opinion or my logic.

There is no evidence that astrology exists. It is "the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world." (Merriam-Webster) By saying this, you are saying that astrology is more than luck; instead, it is something supernatural and not explainable happening. Now, most people believe that when they see the horoscope, they assume that it is true. Pretend that the horoscope says that a specific sign says that you are a hard worker and you were born in January. The term "hard worker" is an overgeneralized statement: they may think that they are truly hard workers, while they are really not. They believe that they work hard because they were born in January, and the horoscope says so. (Forgive me if this is not clear enough, it can be hard to understand) It is all in the brain, and based on psychology. This principle is known as the "Placebo Effect."

"Psychologist Bernie Silverman of Michigan State University tested the effect of astrological compatibility on marriages. He surveyed astrologers across the country on the compatibility of the twelve Zodiac signs. In studying, 2,978 marriage and 478 divorce records in Michigan, Dr. Silverman found couples whose marriages were made in horoscope heaven united and split up just as frequently as those who were not astrologically compatible." The significance of this discovery proves this: astrology does not affect the relationship of a person. (

Thank you for your time and consideration, judges and debater.

Thank you very much for participating in this debate, and yes I would like to cite my sources.

If this person who is born in January reads that they are "hard-working" from a source such as a magazine that provides no reason to believe that the information they are giving is 100% true, then obviously they shouldn't be trusting this source. It all depends on where they are getting the information. A trustworthy source such as an accredited astrologer wouldn't be giving such generalized statements. My advice is to study each sign individually and not just your own in order to understand what the difference is between each sign. Horoscope and zodiac are two different things. I personally only partake in the zodiac. Horoscope is the study of what your future holds for you based on your sun sign whilst the zodiac is the study of who you are based on your whole birth chart.

As for astrological compatibility, the study Mr. Silverman conducted was a study based on sun sign compatibility. Sun sign compatibility suggests that there are only twelve personality types in the world, which is clearly impossible. Your entire natal chart is not just the signs in the planets alone either, you've got all sorts of other aspects that affect behaviour. Sun sign means nothing on its own.

Once again, I would like to thank my opponent for continuing this debate on such short notice. Thank you for not waiting for two days and then responding last minute. That always has a way of tap-dancing on my last nerves.

Thank you for addressing my source directly, and actually reading it. You commented and made a rebuttal on the site itself. To quote you directly: "Sun sign means nothing on its own." What about all the other tests done on the subject of astrology? As I recall, there are at least four other tests that disclaimed astrology, and undoubtedly many more. Not all of them were completely based upon your "sun signs." (I don't know what sun signs are, although they not going to be an argument for me, nor will I refer to it again in this round. If you are going to make an argument for it, could you please specify on what they are?)

You also stated: "Sun sign compatibility suggests that there are only twelve personality types in the world, which is clearly impossible." I agree with you in this matter. There cannot only be twelve different types of people on Earth; however, if you are talking about an overgeneralized statement in which the newspapers do, then yes, you can. You also said that "trustworthy source." That is the thing with psychology and ethos: if they seem credible, then you will most likely believe what they are saying. An accredited astrologer might not be credible at all; you will believe what they say. If your astrologer gives you a specific detail about your personality, you will scramble for an excuse or memory to believe that what they say is true. And, more often than not, you will pretend to be the person that your astrologer says you are. Forgive me if you believe you are not this person. You could be the rare group of people that does not let this thing affect them.

ShelbeyTheMelody forfeited this round.

Seeing as how my opponent has forfeited this round, I believe I have won this debate.
I ask the judges not to be biased in their opinion as they judge the two debaters. Whether you believe in astrology or not, I hope you judge fairly.

Thank you for your time and consideration, judges.
Posted by RNG_REKT 9 months ago
Good point. One of the sources that I looked on said something about how the signs had rotated and are now in different positions, though I didn't understand at first.
Posted by ProveWhatYouSay 9 months ago
When astrology was first developed, the stars were not where they are now.
Vote Placed by Lexus 9 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture of the pro.