OlinB
Ozzyhead

Do aliens exist?

OlinB

OlinB

Pro

Before we begin, I would like to define the topic
Aliens - Any extraterrestrial organism.
Exist - Have objective reality or being within the universe.
Good luck to my opponent!
Ozzyhead

Con

Although I find it extremely likely that extraterrestrial life forms exist outside of earth, but they have not been proven to exist. So, I am going to debate this. If my opponent proves to me, beyond a reasonable doubt that aliens exist according to the definition my opponent gives, I will concede this debate.
OlinB

Pro

I look forward to a good debate with you. ^-^
The chance of extraterrestrial life existing is overwhelmingly high. It's nearly impossible that humans, and our earth dwelling brethren are the only living things that exist, which brings me to my first pillar.

Pillar 1: The vastness of the universe and all of the different environments within it make it unreasonable to think that we are the only life-forms. Organisms that have evolved and adapted to the potentially harsh climates would be common. Remember, aliens could be anything from bacteria swimming in seas of hydrogen, to advanced civilizations democratic systems and language.

Pillar 2: Physical evidence. There are pictures of of U.F.Os from before Photoshop; even paintings from as far back as the classical age, artifacts such as the 1957 Ubatuba UFO Metal Fragments, so many abduction claims with similar details; it is clear that we must be onto something.

The other pillars will be shared in the other rounds
Ozzyhead

Con

The size of the universe on at glance seems to be a large place for great amounts of life, and I do admit, I find it hard to believe that this planet is the only place that life appears in this huge universe, however, it is likely that life is just a rare occurrence. And if you think about it, that is true. There are some areas on earth that cannot support life, so it is likely that life only occurs on earth. Also, the point with bacteria swimming in seas of hydrogen, I concede. There are those. So, if that is enough to say my opponent wins, then my opponent wins. However, if this is not the only case we are discussing, the debate shall go on.
Although there have been photos that show U.F.Os before photoshop, it is still not conclusive enough. Why do said U.F.Os occur only in low light situations? There are many explanations. Also, the art of persuasion is very strong. If one person sees something that someone else does not see right away, they can simply convince them that it is a U.F.O. Similar to how if a so called ghost car drives by, one will point out that it is a ghost car when it really isn't. But the person who points it out can persuade others that what they saw was a ghost car.
With the stories of abduction: This is similar to the stories of a visit from the Holy Spirit, or when people die and come back to life, they say they visited heaven. Many people who claim to have encountered the Holy Spirit or have died and visited heaven have have similar stories. The thing is, when you are told about an occurrence, in the right state of mind, that exact thing will happen. And that's not just when someone is drunk or drugged. When someone is in an extremely calm state of mind, or an extremely panicked state of mind, the mind will send out images of certain things to either calm you down or effect your mood in some way. In fact, scientists have done studies in which they told the subject to just relax, and some time later asked them what they experienced. People usually said they felt a presence in the room. Which explains why people say they encountered their Holy Spirit. This can explain people's so called abductions. Usually, when asked, these people admit they were drinking, or are lying when they say they did not, which also explains abductions.
OlinB

Pro

To be frank, pillar 2 was just a filler. I agree with you that ufo sightings are like visits from the holy spirit, the only strong evidence is that within pillar 1, and because of the near impossibility that we are the only life forms, this is all I can really say. It wasn't wise to start such a one sided debate.
Ozzyhead

Con

Well, again I argue that while it's unlikely, it is still possible. Not only do I believe that there is extra terrestial life, but I believe somewhere around the universe there is intelligent life. Maybe not similar to humans that have big green head and bodies like the movies portray, maybe they are small, walk on all fours and are furry. But, this what I believe is likely. I do not have any evidence to support my claim, so no one should take this as me conceding. I am still in this. I also believe strongly that it is very possible that life is just a very rare occurence. There are places even on earth that cannot support life.
OlinB

Pro

OlinB forfeited this round.
Posted by dragonfire1414 2 years ago
dragonfire1414
How did Pro win?
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
Excuse me, but that first vote was confirmation bias. Just because you agree with an argument does not mean they had a better argument
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
Scientifically the do. I'd totally debate this though and argue idealism, which would mean nothing has objective existence, only subjective to one's own perception. Then I would win this debate.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
As far as I understand, they have found microscopic organisms in frozen water deep beneath Mars' surface. With this understanding, it would be fair to assume life has evolved in other parts of the Universe if it has formed in our own galaxy on the next planet over.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Could be, especially after reading some of the liberal junk in here.
Posted by vanssjosh 2 years ago
vanssjosh
I would debate depending on your opinion ... OBVIOUSLY THEY EXIST ... thats mine
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
OlinBOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: even though pro forfeited the last round, the argument that the vastness of space makes it extremely likely that Earth is not the only place that could support life, while con presented no solid evidence against the claim. conduct to con for not forfeiting a round, but arguments still go to the pro