scots
The_Scapegoat_bleats

Do all great minds think alike?

The_Scapegoat_bleats
Started: 2/27/2014 Category: Sports

scots

Con

I do not believe all great minds think alike, because if they did why would one prove the other wrong?
The_Scapegoat_bleats

Pro

I accept the challenge.
I argue that all great minds are alike. For the VERY least in their desire to prove each other wrong, as already conceded by my opponent.
scots

Con

Well in desire but if they all thought the same we would still think all the planets revolved around Earth. They must have different thoughts.
The_Scapegoat_bleats

Pro

Great minds differ not from each other, only from lesser minds.
What makes a mind great?
The only way to determine this is by some observable difference between a great mind and a smaller one. Otherwise, a discernment between "great" and the opposite would make no sense, and there would be no great minds.
The observable difference is how great minds influence culture and science for the public. A great mind discovers things, unravels connections hidden to the eye of the "common" mind, and makes the findings accessible to others. Explorers, discoverers - people who expand any field of science.
This is where they differ from smaller minds.
But in that capacity, they are all alike.
Obviously, striving for new connections within the data at hand requires a certain set of mind: that of a person determined to convince others of these new connections. Because who would call a person a "great mind" if they discovered something and kept it to themselves?
Great minds do not have to recognize each other, because of their determination to convince others. So they will mistakenly argue against each other, hoping to convince the respective other. It's only in their own nature.

Often enough, two scientist discovered the same phenomenon independently from each other.
Print was invented in China and Germany, by Bi Sheng ( http://en.wikipedia.org... ) and Johannes Gutenberg ( http://en.wikipedia.org... )
The telephone was invented by Gray and Bell - and others - independently. ( http://en.wikipedia.org... )
This is strong indication that great minds think alike.

Great minds excel in comparison to common minds by introducing new concepts, furthering knowledge.
But amongst each other, it is very hard to tell which mind is the greater.
Who is the "greater" physicist? Newton for his discovery of the laws of mechanics or Einstein for his discovery of the laws of relativity? This is impossible to answer, since both contributed crucial progress to their science.

So clearly, great minds do think alike to a degree that a normal human cannot see relevant differences.
scots

Con

Aye, I agree to the normal human mind it is different and difficult to comprehend. But to each other they are not the same. I am positive the some great minds to others though that this guys invention or discovery is never going to work and he must be crazy. So in your statement are you calling some great minds greater than others? Well Aye they are and they are by think differently. Thinking is what makes the greater mind, and they can't all have the same thoughts
The_Scapegoat_bleats

Pro

I definitely am not calling some great minds greater than others.
I say they are totally alike in the respect that they do not always recognize each other as great minds.
And I have already shown that there are clearly instances where great minds had the same thought independently from each other, with the examples of the telephone or the printing press. You have done nothing to disprove these examples.
So I say all great minds CAN have the exact same thoughts. But "thought" and "mind" are not the same. Thoughts are what takes place in the mind.
"mind noun \G2;mīnd\: the part of a person that thinks, reasons, feels, and remembers" http://www.merriam-webster.com...
"THINKtransitive verb
1: to form or have in the mind" http://www.merriam-webster.com...

So I compare the mind to a house and thinking to the activity inside of it. Two people can have the exact same house, down to the last bit of furniture and tableware. Yet one uses it for living, the other as a weekend recess. Likewise, people can have the same mind without necessarily having the exact same thoughts - although even that happens, as shown above.

In summary, I have provided evidence that great minds can think alike. I have argued that they feel the need to convince others of their new ideas - even other great minds - and this has not been refuted by my opponent. My opponent agrees that to the average observer, all great minds appear alike. There is absolutely no indication that great minds consider themselves to differ from each other, at least no proof has been offered by my opponent. This means that all evidence available points to great minds being alike, while no proof to the contrary has been offered.
So, to our best knowledge, we must assume that indeed great minds are alike.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
I also said all not some
Posted by Angie1 2 years ago
Angie1
One would have to define what think alike means. Great minds can also think up great wrongs. Great meaning intelligent, intellectual but can also equal corrupt etc. On this basis I'd say that great minds don't all think alike.
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Now that we have this behind us: I want to clarify that I took this up just for argument's sake.
No two minds are alike in my personal opinion. But it is of importance to try and rework thoughts, aknowledge a different view and approach. And what better way is there than delving into an opposing perspective.
That said: I actually agree with my opponent - on a personal level.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
ok back
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
Excuse me I must go
The_Scapegoat_bleats
You have the first go. State your case, I will present mine. Rebuttals can go in round 3.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
It is late where I am also
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
how do you add something else to contradict you?
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Let's do this.
However, it's very late where I am now, so I will not enter my second argument before eight hours of sleep or so.
Posted by scots 2 years ago
scots
Hello
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
scotsThe_Scapegoat_bleatsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument was simple and effective: whilst great minds have the desire to do great things, they do not necessarily think alike. Pro responded by giving good examples that suggested exactly the opposite. Pro also continued to say that people compete with each other, hence giving an illusion of disagreement. Whilst I think that there are arguments to counter these, Con never refuted these, hence arguments go to Pro. Sources go to Pro too, as they helped give him examples.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
scotsThe_Scapegoat_bleatsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro brought up better arguments which were backed by sources.