isgodreal
Duncan

Do angels exist?

isgodreal

Pro

Do angels exist? Yes. All through the world there are countless testimonies of people who had experiences with angels. Thanks to technology, it has become possible to document angelic encounters more than ever. On my website I have posted several amazing documentaries about angels who saved peoples lives. Check the article here: http://www.godisreal.info...
Duncan

Con

A warm welcome to DebateDotOrg, new debater. First of all, a quick warning; advertising your own site is frowned upon here, as debaters prefer if you take an active role in debating instead of linking a full argument. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site, and I look forward to an engaging debate, as I hope you do to.

Now, Angels have appeared in tales for years upon years, legends upon legends. They usually appear to deliver news or prophecies to the enlightened few. However, the stuff of legends is purely that; legends. I decided to save voters the trouble of skimming over your site with a quick investigation. It is a site with a collection of miracle accounts along with some teachings of Christianity. I failed to find the technology mentioned, so I'll assume my friend meant the Internet as a means of communication and documentation. Now, as you may already know, eyewitness accounts are known to be unreliable, with studies showing people tend to reshape memories afterwards.

http://people.howstuffworks.com...

The issue here is belief. While I admit I am on unstable grounds with this argument, so are you. When people dream, they are unconscious. However, they still retain some vague memories in the form of dreams as they awaken. Near death unconsciousness would have a similar effect to sleep where the brain would attempt to profile memories like normal sleep, and since recent memories or thoughts are usually the forefront of dreams, and the most recent thing was a near death experience, of course religious people would see religious figures. Muslims would most likely see their alternative divine figure. Myself, I would most likely dream of something else, or simply dream of crashes. Expectations of a vision can influence the vision.

But the proof you have supplied is more about proof of god than anything else. I dealt with how people can simply imagine things, and people have survived worse in terms of injuries. People have had pipes through their head, have been shot in the head, and have lost limbs, but the human body is damn good at surviving.

http://www.medicinenet.com...

I would like to address how you see these sightings as proof of the Christian God, and the heaven it entails. You see, your site proposes these are fundamentalist angels fighting Satan, which directly brings up a new issue; Why doesn't God destroy these false angels? You know, with omnipotence and omniscience, God should really be better at stamping out treachery in his own ranks. Also, Heaven sounds like a horrible place. For the first few years, you might be content, but after the next few millenia, you would get bored of everything in existence. Immortality sucks.

I'm getting sidetracked here, so I'll sum up;

People have been known to dream when unconscious. People have been known to remember things differently and usually how they would prefer to remember it. Eyewitness reports cannot alone be taken as evidence for something, especially when the said testimony contradicts physics. Ultimately, this debate is not over, as it's only the surface of a much deeper debate, but don't lose your nerve, this is considered the most famous debate topic; God's existence. I'll see you next round.

Duncan.
isgodreal

Pro

isgodreal forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

Like many new debaters on the site, my opponent has forgotten to answer a round. It's a mistake we all make, as we all have busy lives, and while there are those who use this site for advertising, I will give my opponent the benefit of the doubt and say they simply forgot. If you did forget, please make a reply in the comments with your speech.

Duncan.
isgodreal

Pro

My main argument is reality. My website shows documentaries from people who saw angels, experienced angels and were even saved by angels. These experiences are so real that for example CBN spent thousands of dollars making documentaries about them.

This is not a dream or imagination, this is real life, this is reality, this really happens. When we ignore what is real and put our own mindset in place, we are deliberately creating an illusion in our heads, instead of being honest and look at reality.

This is the whole purpose of my website: show people REALITY. Not pro and con arguments, which all have their place in our minds, which is not the real world. I post videos and testimonies of things that are real, documented, confirmed by many witnesses, etc.
Duncan

Con

Website. Your website. When I first welcomed you here, I warned you to make your argument yourself, and not use DDO as your free advertising site. But here we are. You aren't even talking about angels anymore, you're talking about your own site. As I've already shown, witnesses are not sufficient evidence, and are extremely prone to bias and forgetfulness.

Your testimonies are nothing without development from you, the debater. You hear some tales of people surviving normally fatal injuries, which is possible, and suddenly this is proof of angels? It's just as much proof that a demon saved you, or that a shark saved you, or anything for that matter. But the only possibility you consider is angels because you were raised with belief in angels.

I thought this would have been an interesting debate, but you have merely been using it s a means of advertising for your own site.

How disappointing.