funnycn
Burls

Do animals have souls?

funnycn

funnycn

Con

I do not believe animals have souls. For the purpose of this debate, humans will not be included as an "animal". The purpose of this is to leave out pointless debating.

You may post your argument in the first round, as I will.

My argument goes as follows:

The definition of "soul" is "The spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe" [http://www.merriam-webster.com...] and animals are not rational beings; they may be aware they killed but won't know how it affects the world around it, meaning if they killed a human they wouldn't know how it would affect the family and they aren't aware how "murder" works. They kill for survival not for pleasure and this means they may not have a conscience either. Conscience is defined as "The sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own conduct, intentions, or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good" [http://www.merriam-webster.com...]
And animals aren't aware of how "good" and "bad" work. I hate including the bible but even Christians are aware animals don't have souls because they aren't able to comprehend how "morals" work. How does a conscience and having a soul relate to the argument?

In most religions for your "soul" to pass on you must have done good things, to be aware you did "good" you must have a conscience. In ancient Egyptian religion, your heart would be weighed on a scale, so in a way your heart is like your soul according to ancient Egyptian beliefs.
Burls

Pro

Ladies and Gentlemen of the privileged class, who with succor do participate in long distance debate, please lend me your attention as I redress this argument, for tis privilege that sets the classes apart and privilege that gives power over lesser beings which includes those 'dumb' beasts to which we refer. And in that setting of privilege that we aspire to in the afterlife are included those lesser beings on which we depend of no less importance to our paradigm and easily identified as souls on the ladder of evolution.
funnycn

Con

Divine vocabulary, typed by a lord of words I assume. However how can you establish your foundation without anything to endorse it? I thank you for accepting my challenge however you must contend or you will be botching your argument. State a cogent and plausible argument.

Can you prove "beasts" have souls? I'd be besotted to see a detailed position and argument.
Burls

Pro

No doubt my argument is acceptable to those whose dearest companions are pets. However, and this cannot be overly stressed, guilt will overcome us if we allow that animals have souls, and for those tender hearts amongst us who will be torn by their guilt over their treatment of roaches we must let this argument die; Of course you are right! Animals have no souls!
funnycn

Con

Did my opponent agree with me or is it sarcasm?

Regardless you aren't bringing a well supported argument other than "Animals have souls" without sources to strengthen your argument.
Burls

Pro

The humane reason for not accepting that everything besides humans have souls has been provided. Trees, rocks, animals and insects, bacteria and viruses may not appear rational to some standard but that doesn't mean they do not have souls and support our environment.
funnycn

Con

You still aren't showing me evidence to prove they have souls. You are simply stating they have souls without anything to support it. Please, show me sources and evidence they do have souls.

"The definition of "soul" is "The spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe" [http://www.merriam-webster.com......] "

The definition does not include animals, and I have proven how they don't have enough rational thought to comprehend murder or robbery. It's not limited to those two either.
Burls

Pro

The tendency for mankind to gather into communities infers that souls in the well of space would gather in support of a creation of a distraction in whatever capacity they can perform whether it be conscious or unconscious. Doubtless the creator and the creator's aides would have the best positions in the creation with the lessor positions being apportioned by seniority. Be it as it may, it stands to reason that desirability of any particular vacancy is relative to the aspirants position in said well of space. Whether or not a spirit performing it's particular part has a soul is moot in the overall design, in my opinion.

Thus stands my contention to your opening argument.
Posted by dwreck12 2 years ago
dwreck12
soul
Syllabification: soul
Pronunciation: /s!3;l /
NOUN

1The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

Definition of soul from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...

Can i have the honor to have this debate with you?
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
No problem
Posted by Burls 2 years ago
Burls
Thanks for providing the opportunity to spar.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
@guitarstring87
I thought I said that but I guess I didn't.
Posted by guitarstring87 2 years ago
guitarstring87
The debate assumes souls exist. I hope one of you addresses that.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Don't confuse soul with spirit. We are spirit beings. We have souls, and we live in a body.Your soul is made up of your mind, will ,and emotions. Animals have those things. So they have souls,But they are not spirit beings. The original Hebrew in Geneses says that God made man a speaking spirit. That is why man is the only one that can speak words.Some birds can speak words, but they do not choose words. They can only speak those that they are taught. They have no clue what they mean.That is why if a parrot cusses you out, you cannot get offended at him.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
funnycnBurlsTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro made no arguments
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
FaustianJustice
funnycnBurlsTied
Reasons for voting decision: If Pro made an argument, I am not seeing it. I thought there might be, but... like a dream undreamed.