AvCh
tepes

Do beauty pageants really help?

Started: 1/31/2016 Category: Fashion

AvCh

Con

Welcome, thank you for debating with me.
Pageants, what else is there to say other then the fact that they display an unhealthy and unrealistic body image and value looks over anything else. Pageants are basically saying that the most important thing in a human being, especially a woman is their looks, this is almost always never the case. Little girls watch the pageants and can only hope to be like the contestants, this provides an unrealistic image in a little child's mind. In a real women intellect, kindness, and beautiful personalities are now valued way more then looks will ever be.

Pageants require extreme amounts of training, dieting, and preparation which for a normal human being is almost never possible. These models do crazy workouts, go on crazy diets and do crazy things just for one day of glory. It hurts the model more then it helps and it is hurting the pageant spectators even more.

In closing, pageants are unrealistic, wrong and should be stopped immediately,
Thank you for debating.
tepes

Pro

I would like to thank the opposition for opening this debate.

In my opponent's opening statements they write, "In closing, pageants are unrealistic, wrong and should be stopped immediately." I am interpreting the opponent's beliefs as (1) pageants have unrealistic expectations of women, (2) pageants are morally wrong because of the unrealistic expectations of women, and (3) because of reasons one and two pageants should be stopped immediately. I will be basing my argument around these conclusions. In addition, I would like to focus this debate on beauty pageants in the United States in order to limit the scope of this topic.

While I agree with the opponent that beauty pageants can have negative impacts, as is evidenced by the popular TLC show Toddlers and Tiaras, I would like to point out that pageants can benefit the contestants by building their communication skills, self-representation, personal talents, and also by providing scholarship opportunities. In the case of child beauty pageants, the child can still benefit from these positive effects so long as they are not pressured or stressed. Child beauty pageants tend to be run more like a talent show, and these kinds of beauty pageants are beneficial for children to explore their identity and express themselves. Most adult contests have moved from a beauty-oriented pageant to one focusing on personal improvement. I would argue that it is not unreasonable to expect a contestant to be able to present themselves appropriately, speak effectively, and develop their talents. These are skills that most careers require of their employees. Therefore, I would conclude that pageants are not morally wrong and do not need to be stopped immediately.

My opponent makes the following statement, "Pageants require extreme amounts of training, dieting, and preparation which for a normal human being is almost never possible. These models do crazy workouts, go on crazy diets and do crazy things just for one day of glory. It hurts the model more then it helps and it is hurting the pageant spectators even more."

I believe my opponent is exaggerating the amount of training contestants do. While I do not deny that some beauty pageant contestants do diet and exercise in order to get their body into shape, I would argue against the lengths my opponent claims these contestants go through. Most dieting and exercise that contestants do is considered well within the norms of what any person might do in order to be healthy.

Here"s a link to what Miss USA 2013"s usual daily diet and exercise looked like :http://www.shape.com...

Here"s a nice story about one beauty pageant contestant that used the pageants as a way to lose weight and get in shape (and how that built her confidence): http://www.cnn.com...

Pageant Prep (http://www.pageantprep.com...) is one of the top tier training programs for pageant contestants. Their main focus is not on dieting and exercise but on how to build confidence, reduce anxiety, and train the speaking skills of the contestants.

This concludes my opening statements and first rebuttal to my opponent"s argument. Thank you once again.
AvCh

Con

There is no pageant or beauty show on TV or in real life that I know of where the child is not stressed therefore, that is not a possibility as all the children are stressed all the time and about everything. Although my opponent mentioned the fact theta these pageants provide scholarships the craziness and hell that leads up to these pageants ought to not be good for the child, and parent, as the events leading up to win make pageants 10x worse.

Child pageants in my opinion are worse, children just learn to become stuck-up,snobby, bratty, and bitchy earlier on in life. They don't show off their talents they show off their "drama queen skills". Adult contests are no better though, they focus on unrealistic parts of a woman and only positive things that the women can do well when really in reality half the things listed in these pageants are impossible to do. E.g. "I feed all of Africa everyday, I am well-known for this service".

I am laughing at the fact that my opponent thinks that employers look for these skills in the workplace, if this was the case a employer just hired an obnoxious, stuck-up, self-proclaimed brat. None of the careers that I know of look and see if you have pageant experience, I doubt they would even care who has it and who doesn't.

I don't necessarily like the fact that the opponent is doubting me for over "exaggerating" my Aunt for the longest time was a pageant girl, we live in a small town of about 30,000 so honestly I have heard every story about every pageant and I can assure you I was not over-exaggerating.

My opponent attaching those links is irrelevant as it was found in the media, pageant girls will give anything to look good in the media, once again I have had first-hand experience as well with pageants as I have done a few in my town as well, it was really not a walk in the park.

This concludes my second-round thoughts.
tepes

Pro

tepes forfeited this round.
AvCh

Con

Ok, why the forfeit? Are you scared?
tepes

Pro

tepes forfeited this round.
Posted by hayleyharding 1 year ago
hayleyharding
beauty pagents are not bad. it is just for fun. i was in them when i was a little girl. it gave me confidence and made me feel good about my self. it was verry fun and it helped me with my mannors
Posted by AvCh 1 year ago
AvCh
You sure your not shitting me? Sounds to me like you are.
Posted by tepes 1 year ago
tepes
Okay so I'm so sorry I have not responded but I have gotten sick and now there is a tornado warning so I'm going to be in a storm cellar I'm not shitting you I'm so sorry.