lisaaa1122
Kirknerk

Do beauty pageants serve any purpose in society? Should there be any male ones?

lisaaa1122

Pro

I believe that beauty pageants do serve a purpose in society. I believe this because they have a lot of benefits to offer to the contestants who compete in them. Their purpose is to promote self-esteem and public-speaking abilities of the contestants. They do have a purpose because the people who compete in them have a purpose to participate in them.
Kirknerk

Con

I believe beauty pageants send society the wrong message. While pageants are neither immoral nor totally useless from the perspective of benefits to the contestants, they are otherwise arbitrary.

If you are intelligent, have a winning personality and are generally beautiful, you have my interest, but should you also have an award?

I do not wish to trivialize pageants. I'm sure they are meaningful to some people. However, ours is a society of unrealistic expectation. What a person can get by on these days might have been laughable a few generations ago.

As far as male pageants go, there is a false expectation in the world that everything should be equal. We don't need a male beauty pageant just because we have a female one. Now I am all for equality of opportunity and all that but there are many things that are realm-specific. Men, for instance, have desires and interests from their realm. Women have theirs. If you want to know what a male pageant looks like, check out World's Strongest Man or perhaps the World Poker Tournament. Women compete in poker as well but for whatever reason it is a male dominated sport. I think those two sports demonstrate well enough that men are largely interested in competing ability. So, if there is to be a male pageant, a competition of abilities would most likely be the stage. I don't mean to generalize. Obviously women like to compete but on the whole their competitions are different in nature. I don't pretend to know what those competitions are that are specific to women, except beauty pageants as far as I know. The thing you compete in, is usually how you measure your self worth. What gives you self worth is often ingrained by society.

The question becomes what is good for society's perception. Should we perceive beauty and personality and intelligence as laudable? I believe we should. However, perhaps we should also have pageants that measure only personality and intelligence. Obviously there are talent and science competitions in school and other institutions. These competitions usually produce some original research or invention or ability. Does a beauty pageant?
lisaaa1122

Pro

I think you have really true and valid points but I still believe beauty pageants have a purpose. People who compete in them may do it for various reasons and there are categories that the competitors have to prepare for so I do believe it is not strictly based on beauty. Beauty pageants can also help people's confidence go up (I am aware it can make it go down as well) and they can learn to have a lot of qualities that you need in every day life. It is important to become a better speaker and this may be the only thing that makes some people happy. Therefore I think that they do serve a purpose.

I also believe that if enough men are interested then there should be male competitions. Only if enough people are interested and if they have the same benefits female beauty competitions have.
Kirknerk

Con

Pageants do serve a purpose. Do they serve a purpose in society? I suppose that depends on your definition of society. Does the collaboration and competition of a few constitute a society. I suppose under the strictest definition that it does. But considering society as a whole is there still a purpose from beauty pageants? There is no doubt there is an impact. As far as purpose goes, I suppose it cannot be argued that there is none. So, on that admission I yield the win to you.

At this point, I would like to argue a point other than the original but closely related. Does the negative impact on society outweigh the positive? I would argue that it does. It gives unrealistic expectations to young women about what is admirable in a woman. Not all can look a certain way but that does not diminish their value. No has said that it does. However, while no one is saying it, is it being implied through such contests?
lisaaa1122

Pro

I do agree with you there are a lot of negative impacts that are resulted from beauty pageants and in some cases I do think they can outweigh the good. So I do definitely agree with you on the aspect.
Kirknerk

Con

In retrospect I suppose attempting to argue that there is no purpose in some invented or created is really futile. Everything that exists by intention has a purpose necessarily. I think the important question is how useful it is and to whom.

In conclusion, I don't see much disagreement between the two of us. I think some parameters should have been established. Such as, a limiting definition for society. Also, we could have discussed the use of "purpose" with more clarity.

Anyway, thanks for a thoughtful debate .